Banana Beetroot Smoothie
Banana Beetroot Smoothie
Banana Beetroot Smoothie is so easy to make, nutritious, healthy, filling and super delicious. A versatile recipe as one can add milk of their choice or yogurt. Add cooked beetroot or raw. Make this colorful smoothie for breakfast or as a snack.
What is a Smoothie?
Smoothies are a rage all over the world. They have become a part of our daily meals, mostly for breakfast. Occasionally, love to have it as a light dinner option. Smoothies for breakfast, smoothies for in between meals, smoothies for lunch, smoothies for desserts, the options are endless. What is actually a smoothie? Hadn’t even heard of the word smoothies when I was growing up.
Smoothies are drinks that usually are pretty thick in consistency, are cold and very filling. Its like having a meal in a glass.
What do you need to make smoothies?
a) A liquid like water, milk, yogurt or a vegetable/fruit juice
b) fresh fruits or vegetables like spinach, beetroot, pumpkin, carrots to name a few
c) sweetener can be sugar, honey, maple syrup, artificial sweeteners, stevia etc. If the fruit is naturally sweet then you can avoid a sweetener altogether.
d) spices which is optional like cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, etc
e) nuts or nut butters which are optional
f) add ons like protein powder, seeds, moringa, seeds, etc
g) herbs like mint, coriander, basil, etc – again optional.
i) ice creams which again is totally optional
j) oats, cooked millets, millet flours, roasted flours, etc.
Any combination of the above makes a smoothie.
Some Smoothies You May Want To Try Out:
Blueberry & Grape Smoothie – my favorite because of the blueberries.
A must have during the mango season: Chocolate Mango Smoothie
Glowing Skin Smoothie – with papaya, coconut water, tangerine and collagen
Banana Peanut Butter & Oats Smoothie – kids love this one.
Strawberry Finger Millet Smoothie – healthy and filling. An enjoyable way to enjoy millet.
Here’s a smoothie with carrot cake flavour – Carrot Cake Smoothie
Using an unusual fruit Java Plums – Jamun/ Java Plum Smoothies
How did the banana beetroot smoothie appear in my kitchen?
Well, I love having smoothies for breakfast and I tend to add oats to my morning smoothies. Any trips outside town for a couple of days or weeks means using up perishable food. Just before traveling to Nairobi, I had one small beetroot left in the fridge and frozen bananas. I like to freeze overripe bananas to use up in smoothies and bakes.
So breakfast before the trip was a healthy pink reddish smoothie. I didn’t need to add any sweetener as beetroot and banana are both naturally sweet. However if you want it extra sweet add a sweetener of your choice.
THE GROUP FOODIES _ REDOING OLD POSTS
The Group Foodies_Redoing Old Posts, started by Renu helps the members to make an effort to update old posts. This is the 53rd redoing old posts event. This group helps me to stay focused and update old posts not only with better photos but also trying to make each post more SEO friendly. This week decided to redo Banana Beetroot Smoothie. The recipe remains the same. However, have written the post in a more structured manner with new photos.
Updated on 09/07/2021. First Published on 19/07/2012
Ingredients Required For Banana Beetroot Smoothie
- Frozen Bananas – if you don’t have frozen bananas, use normal ripe bananas. To make a chilled smoothie, add some ice cubes.
- Beetroot – use a small or medium one. Use roasted, boiled or raw.
- Cold Milk or Plain Yogurt
- Cardamom Powder
- Chopped Nuts – any of your choice
- Chia Seeds
BANANA BEETROOT SMOOTHIE
- 2 medium bananas frozen
- 1 small beetroot raw, boiled or roasted
- 1 cup cold milk or yogurt
- 4 tbsp oats
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp nuts chopped
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Chop the beetroot into tiny cubes.
- Put the frozen banana, chopped beetroot, cardamom powder, oats and milk or yogurt into a blender jug.
- Process till you get a smooth consistency.
- Pour the smoothie into serving glasses.
- Top with chopped nuts and chia seeds. Serve.
- Cut bananas into slices before you freeze them. Its best to place the slices on a tray and freeze. This way its easier to process the slices rather than a lump of frozen banana.
- If you don't have frozen banana then use fresh ones. Add ice cubes to get a thick cold consistency.
- You can used boiled, steamed or roasted beetroot or raw. Both taste great.
- Add 1-2 tsp cocoa powder for a chocolate banana beetroot smoothie.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962