Eggless Chocolate Cake
Eggless Chocolate Cake
This eggless chocolate is my no fail cake recipe and I’ve been baking it for a very long time. I mostly get requests to bake an eggless cake for parties, for religious gatherings and for tea time. Whenever we have guests coming home for tea of dinner, I get requests to bake an eggless cake. I’ve tried the condensed milk one, even ones with flax egg but I prefer to make this recipe with yogurt. The yogurt makes the cake crumb soft and melt in the mouth kind. People cannot believe that this cake is without eggs.
A Century – my 100th Recipe
Cannot believe that I’ve actually posted 99 recipes. Wow! Most of my family members thought that I would give up blogging like I’ve done with so many other hobbies I’ve picked up and dropped like hot potatoes. Well, lets see how far I get. However 100th blog post meant that celebration was in order. What better way to celebrate than with a cake and one that I bake often.
Does it have to be a Chocolate Cake only?
Not at all. I’ve often baked vanilla ones especially for religious functions as some don’t eat chocolate. I just replace the amount of cocoa with plain flour. I’ve also made coconut cake, adding desiccated coconut. I like to use this foolproof recipe for eggless upside down bakes, add sometimes dried fruits and nuts.
What about frosting or topping?
Leave the cake plain, top it with fresh whipped cream, brush some honey or melted jam and sprinkle coconut, using glaze icing or frosting of your choice. For the celebration I used chocolate ganache.. my all time favorite.
Some Cakes you may want to check out:
- Eggless Pear Upside Cake – I’ve used the below recipe and the cake turned out really good.
- Coffee and Walnut Cake – this one with eggs has a soft crumb and with coffee and walnuts makes a perfect tea time cake.
- Mango marble Mini Bundt Cakes – eggless, bake them as one big bundt, mini bundts or as a loaf.
- Orange Saffron Semolina Cake – have you ever tried semolina cakes?
- Easy Christmas Cake – this one doesn’t require you to soak the dried fruit for weeks.
- Jamaican Toto Coconut Cake – delicious with fresh or desiccated coconut and coconut milk
- Pistachio and Rose Cake – just love this one with exotic flavors and aroma.
- Eggless Chocolate Banana Bundt Cake – soft and moist.
- Eggless Upside Down Mango Cake – I used the below recipe to bake this superb mango cake.
- Fig Lemon Cake – with fresh figs and lemon zest, its a perfect dessert cake
- Eggless Mango Chocolate Cake – using the recipe below baked a chocolate cake and topped it with whipped cream and fresh mango.
- Eggless Pineapple Upside Down Cake – Love this cake.
- Marble Banana Cake, eggless – this cake is perfect for tea time or even for brunch
What is Ganache?
Ganache is a mixture of cream and chocolate. Cream is heated up and chocolate is added and whisked till the chocolate melts. For topping on cakes and desserts, the ganache should be a bit liquid, pourable. Ganache is also used for making chocolates and truffles. For a little firmer ganache, more chocolate is added than the cream. Its allowed to set a bit in the fridge before rolling into truffles.
Ingredients required for Eggless Chocolate Cake
- Plain Flour – all purpose flour.
- Sugar – normal refined sugar or caster sugar
- Yogurt – plain thick yogurt which is not sour
- Cocoa Powder – unsweetened
- Butter – I generally use salted but you can use unsalted
- Soda Bicarbonate – baking soda as the leavening agent
- Salt – to bring out the sweetness of the cake
- Vanilla Extract – for flavour, can use any other extract. Sometimes I add orange zest, lemon zest
For the Ganache if you’re using any:
- Fresh Cream – I use the ones that are available in the market in tetra packs. When I bake the cake in India I use Amul cream.
- Dark Chocolate – any of your choice but use a good quality one.
Watch How To Bake Eggless/Egg Free Chocolate Cake
EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
For The Eggless Chocolate Cake
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain thick yogurt
- 125 g butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp soda bicarbonate
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- little extra butter for greasing
For The Chocolate Ganache:
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- Preparation of the Eggless Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Grease a round 10" or 12" cake tin. Sprinkle a bit of flour into it and move the tin around at all angles till the tin is coated with flour. Turn the tin upside down and bang it over the sink. The excess flour will come off. Or just line the tin with a greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa, salt and soda bicarbonate together.
- In another bowl cream the sugar and butter till it is light, fluffy and pale in colour.
- Add the vanilla extract and yogurt. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and fold in with a spatula or a spoon till all the flour has been mixed in. Do not over mix at this point as the mixture may become glutinous.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Level out the top gently with a spatula.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or till the cake is done.
- A toothpick or knife or fork inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Leave it in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the tin. Run a spatula around the edge of the cake.
- Place a plate over the tin. Turn it over. Put the plate doen on the counter top.
- Tap the bottom of the tin gently. The cake should come out onto the plate.
- Place a wire rack over the cake and turn it over with the plate.
- Let the cake cool down completely on the wire rack.
Preparation of the Chocolate Ganache:
- Add the cream in a heavy bottomed pan. Place the pan over low heat.
- Heat the cream, stirring it all the time, till it becomes hot. You don't want it to boil.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Add the chocolate and whisk till the chocolate melts completely.
- Let the ganache cool down completely before pou°ring it over the cake.
- Before you add the batter to the prepared tin, take a spoon and do the drop test. Take some batter with the spoon and let the batter drop from about 5-6 inches away from the bowl. If it drops easily within 5-6 seconds then the batter is fine. If it doesn't then you need to add 1-2 tbsp of water or milk. Some flours absorb more moist than others.
- If the cake does not bake in the middle when you insert the toothpick or fork, then lower the temperature to 150°C and let it bake till the middle gets done.
- It is important to use the correct size of the cake tin so that the cake bakes well. If its too high then it will be raw from the middle.
- If the ganache becomes too thick, just add a tsp or two of milk and mix.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
April 5, 2016 at 6:36 am
This one is my favourite all time chocolate-cake recipe! I'm baking it today with Yashoda for her son's birthday 🙂
May 28, 2018 at 4:02 am
Congratulations on your 100 th recipe and what a perfect way to celebrate ! beautiful truffle cake ! Looks fantastic !
May 28, 2018 at 2:18 pm
July 19, 2020 at 8:19 am
The cake looks so soft & moist. Though I have used curd in wholewheat cake, have not used it in my chocolate cake recipe. But yes, I bake with & without condensed milk. Lovely recipe.
July 19, 2020 at 3:05 pm
Thank you so much Niranjana.
July 21, 2020 at 1:23 am
OMG this looks amazing. The texture of the cake is so moist, rich and perfect. The garnishing with pomegranate makes it look so beautiful
July 21, 2020 at 5:42 pm
Thank you so much Shobha.
July 21, 2020 at 9:54 pm
A simple chocolate cake recipe which anyone can follow…the texture is so good and the best part , it’s eggless..
July 22, 2020 at 5:20 pm
Thanks Amrita and most people when they have the cake do not believe that its egg free.
July 21, 2020 at 6:07 am
Absolutely delish and moist looking chocolate cake. Loved the texture of the cake & my family surely enjoyed this sweet treat anytime.
July 21, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Thanks Jolly and yes its an all time favorite.
hem lata srivastava
July 21, 2020 at 8:50 am
The cake Looks So moist and soft. Congratulations mayuri for your 100th recipe. Nice preparation and presentation. Excellent share
July 21, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Thank you so much Hem Lata.
July 21, 2020 at 10:58 am
I often make this cake and love it with that ganache. The pomegranate arils are looking good as topping.
July 21, 2020 at 5:39 pm
July 21, 2020 at 12:00 pm
my little one cant have enough chocolate cakes in her life, so this is something both the kids would love ! perfect for a celebration !
July 21, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani, I remember when my kids were young they all would fight to lick the bowl…they loved the chocolate batter too.
July 21, 2020 at 12:16 pm
This eggless chocolate cake looks so moist and delicious . I love eggless bakes . Perfect occasion to celebrate with this lovely cake.
July 21, 2020 at 5:37 pm
Thank you so much Preethi.
July 21, 2020 at 12:51 pm
It’s a classic cake and all-time favorite for everyone in my family. I also prefer to bake the cake with yogurt. This chocolate cake looks so soft and moist. I loved the chocolate ganache and pomegranate topping.
July 21, 2020 at 5:37 pm
Thank you so much Malini.
hem lata srivastava
July 21, 2020 at 3:13 pm
Super moist, soft and delicious cake Looks amazing and perfectly topped with creamy ganache. Congratulations mayuri for your 100th recipe .
July 21, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Thank you so much Hem lata.
July 21, 2020 at 8:11 pm
I absolutely adored the look of the chocolate ganache and pomegranate ganache This cake tastes as delicious as it looks!
July 21, 2020 at 9:15 pm
Thank you so much Mireille, the pomegranate as a last minute add on made the taste perfect.
July 22, 2020 at 6:56 am
O… la la this is definitely a amazing cake. Loved the look of the pomegranate on the ganache. Definitely want a slice of it.
July 22, 2020 at 5:19 pm
Thank you so much Archana.
July 22, 2020 at 11:10 am
Chocolate cake looks fabulous mayuriji! Topped with ganache it makes it irresisitible! We are game for a good slice of chocolate cake any day! Love the pomegranate pearls topping!
July 22, 2020 at 5:18 pm
Thank you so much Priya, we too can never resist chocolate cake.
July 22, 2020 at 7:06 pm
Such a pretty cake.. I am loving the chocolate ganache adorned with pomo pearls.. cake looks so moist with beautiful crumb.. Even i prefer to make eggless cakes with yogurt.. it adds so much softness and makes cakes spongy too.
July 23, 2020 at 6:52 pm
Thanks Swaty and that is so true. Also I find that the cake doesn’t dry up fast, it remains moist for at least 2-3 days.
August 2, 2020 at 9:00 pm
The chocolate cake looks so soft moist and perfectly baked Mayuri. Off late I have started to love eggfree bakes. The ganache looks perfect and pomegranate pearls adorn beautifully the cake.
August 2, 2020 at 11:30 pm
Thank you so much Lata.
July 22, 2020 at 10:36 pm
Wow, this chocolate cake is calling my name. It looks absolutely delicious especially with pomegranate on the top of the ganache.
July 23, 2020 at 6:48 pm
Thanks Pavani and yes we loved the pomegranate on top.
Bless my food by Payal
July 31, 2020 at 10:23 am
So moist and lipsmacking cake recipe….& above all it is no fail. That sounds great. And decorating with pomegranate pearls in a great idea.
July 31, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Thank you so much Shailender.
The Girl Next Door
August 1, 2020 at 4:41 pm
Such a moist and decadent cake! I bet it would be a blissful treat for a chocolate lover like me. 🙂 I love the way you have decorated this cake with pomegranate arils. I’ll definitely be trying this out shortly. 🙂
August 1, 2020 at 10:27 pm
Thank you so much Priya.
August 3, 2020 at 2:57 am
Such a delicious looking chocolate cake – it looks so moist, chocolaty and inviting. Perfect treat to any celebration.
August 3, 2020 at 2:29 pm
Thank you Pavani and yes its a treat for any occasion.
August 4, 2020 at 8:31 pm
Such a moist and delicious looking cake! I love chocolate cake with ginger chai 🙂 Perfect to celebrate any occasion!
August 4, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Thanks Uma, and yes its a prefect for any occasion.
August 6, 2020 at 11:29 am
This chocolate cake looks so delicious. The color, texture everything looks just perfect. Loved the idea of adding pomegranate seeds on top. I will also try that next time.
August 6, 2020 at 12:33 pm
Thank you so much Vandana. Pomegranate and chocolate pair so well.
August 7, 2020 at 5:44 pm
This is such a delicious looking eggless chocolate cake with perfect texture…the cake is so moist & rich. The ganache studded with pomegranate arils gives it a gorgeous look and takes the cake to the next level.
August 7, 2020 at 8:24 pm
Thank you so much Padma. Try pomegranate arils as decoration on a chocolate cake next time you bake. Its yummy.
August 8, 2020 at 11:02 am
When it comes to baking, I prefer eggless baking as we don’t eat eggs. People often presume that cake won’t be soft without eggs which is not the fact. Love this fluffy and delicious looking cake and those pome pearls looks so beautiful on it.
August 8, 2020 at 5:15 pm
Thank you so much Sapana. Yes that’s the misconception. I find the yogurt based ones turn out really good.
August 8, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Look at that marvelous texture of the cake. This recipe shows that we don’t always need eggs to make the perfect cake. I love how you have topped your cake with pomegranate seeds. They add a lovely color and also beautiful crunch.
August 8, 2020 at 7:36 pm
Thank you so much Sandhya. Pomegranate and chocolate go hand in hand.
August 16, 2020 at 12:51 am
The chocolate cake looks so yum. I loved that its eggless. The texture looks awesome.
August 16, 2020 at 8:41 pm
August 20, 2020 at 9:15 am
chocolate cake looks so soft, spongy and fluffy. Too tempting and delicious. Love the pomegranate topping on the cake with ganache.
August 20, 2020 at 4:58 pm
Thank you so much Narmadha.
August 29, 2020 at 10:50 am
That cake is decadence incarnated, eggless as well so I have nothing more to think. Look at all that pomegranate and the ganache, I can’t wait to dig in.
August 29, 2020 at 9:30 pm
Thank you so much Seema.
August 29, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Bake a cake and celebrate the occasion, sounds perfect for me !
This cake looks absolutely moist . Love the easy peasy frosting which you have used here along with those pomegranate arils !
August 29, 2020 at 9:28 pm
Thank you so much Sasmita.
May 12, 2022 at 6:15 am
I looks amazing. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
May 13, 2022 at 9:27 pm
August 26, 2022 at 2:05 am
Lovely post! I am pure vegetarian but i love cakes immensely. It is very costly to get from shops. Thanks a lot for sharing most useful blog with us. Now i cook it at home and enjoy. Fantstic!
August 26, 2022 at 3:15 pm
Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Keep checking for new recipes. Enjoy the cake when you bake it.