24. watermelon feta spinach salad
a cool treat!
Watermelons are in season at the moment in India. I have made this salad umpteen times as its very refreshing, cool and different from the conventional salads. Usually, I keep the watermelon cubes in the fridge till required. Use up your not so sweet watermelon as a salad. Rich in potassium and Vitamin A, low in calories so go on and have this for lunch till the season lasts.
- Cut the watermelon and keep in the fridge till required.
- Chop the mint leaves. Pat dry the spinach leaves on a kitchen paper towel.
- In a bowl mix the feta cheese, olives, spinach leaves and mint.
- In another bowl mix the dressing.
- To serve add the watermelon and dressing and toss the salad gently.
- I had difficulty finding feta cheese in India. So instead of feta cheese I added paneer and it tasted good. Some high end supermarkets do sell it but its very expensive.
- Can add thin slices of a small white onion.
- Can add chilli flakes if you like.
- I had to pick out the tender and small leaves from a normal palak bunch as baby spinach is not available in India. It tasted equally good.
- If you are serving this salad for a larger party, leave the dressing on the side as the salad tends to get watery very quickly.