25. khatti kanki (curd rice gujarati style)
All time family favourite
Rice plain or with other ingredients is a very filling dish. Easy to prepare with almost any vegetable, yogurt, stock, leftovers etc. Rice is comfort food for most people. I haven’t come across anyone as yet who doesn’t like rice.Did you know that uncooked white rice has a shelf life of 8-10 years if stored in a cool place. Did you know that rice is used during pujas to symbolize longevity, prosperity and fertility.
This particular recipe is a family favourite. We tend to make khatti kanki ever so often. I think the children loved it not so much because of the rice but more because of the nice crispy crunchy chips (french fries) that we make with it.The first time I had kanki was after I got married and loved it. I learnt to prepare it from Nunu, my mother in law. The most important ingredient for this dish is sour yogurt. Usually the ready made or home made yogurt is not too sour. I usually leave it out at room temperature for 4-5 hours to make it sour. Any kind of rice can be used but not the thick variety. If you do not get broken rice, just soak normal rice(basmati, pishori or whatever you get) for an hour or so and gently crush it between your palms before cooking it.
KHATI KANKI (CURD RICE GUJARATI STYLE)
2 cups rice / broken rice plus 2 cups of water
1 cup sour yogurt (curds)
4 cups of water
2 tbsps ghee /oil
10 curry leaves
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp chilli paste
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds(jeera)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds(rai)
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
11/2 tsp salt or according to your taste
handful of fresh chopped coriander
- Wash the rice properly. Soak it for nearly 30 minutes in the 2 cups of water. Strain the rice in a sieve, saving the water.
- In a large pan, heat the ghee. Add to it cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the curry leaves, garlic, chilli and ginger paste. Stir fry a bit in the ghee and add the rice. Add the turmeric powder, salt and the saved water plus the 4 cups of water. Mix well.
- Let the rice cook over gentle heat. Cover it partially otherwise the water may boil over. Stir it gently occasionally and cook till the rice is done.
- Add the sour yogurt and mix well.
- Add the coriander to it and serve with garlic chutney, ready made pickle masala or a pickle of your choice.
- Serve with crunchy french fries. Make thin french fries. In a pan heat a bit of oil. Add to it chopped garlic, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, french fries and salt. Mix well. Let it cook over low heat till it becomes crunchy.
- If you do not like gooey rice, reduce the amount of water to 4 cups only.
- Usually the amount of water required, depends on the quality of rice. If in doubt, add less and you can always keep on adding more if required.
- You can have kanki on its own, just add a bit of oil over it. I love to add a dollop of yogurt to it.