Egg Bhurji/ Anda Bhurji
EVENTS: SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: HOT BREAKFAST
RECIPE: EGG BHURJI/ ANDA BHURJI
Egg Bhurji/ Anda Bhurji is scrambled eggs with spices. Tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and spices transforms plain scrambled eggs into a hot breakfast treat that can be enjoyed with some bread, roti or paratha. Famous as street food in the Indian Subcontinent, this piping hot breakfast will keep your tummy full till lunch time or beyond. Hubby and I love to have it as brunch. Doesn’t take a long time to prepare and we sometimes have it with leftover roti.
In Hindi anda means eggs and bhurji means scrambled. Very similar to the Parsi Akuri Recipe. The difference is that for Akuri fresh cream is added to the whisked eggs. Towards the end, a dollop of butter is added. Also, the egg mixture is left a bit wet for that creamy texture.
CAN ONE ENJOY EGG BHURJI/ ANDA BHURJI FOR DINNER?
For sure, it makes a quick, easy and yet filling dinner option. I sometimes like to add boiled peas, corn and carrots too.
WET OR DRY?
Some like to leave egg bhurji a bit wet, some like it a bit dry. Hubby likes it a bit wet whereas I prefer mine completely cooked. So I remove some from the pan and allow mine to cook well, but not to the point that it becomes dry. As soon as the eggs are done to a soft consistency.
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
THEME: HOT BREAKFAST
In the Northern Hemisphere, February tends to be the coldest month. Bearing that in mind, US celebrates it as the HOT BREAKFAST MONTH. Actually, established as a way to encourage people to enjoy a hearty breakfast beside a bowl of cereal. Jimmy Deans Food Division of Sara Lee Corporation started this event.
SOME HOT BREAKFAST RECIPES ON MY BLOG
CHECK OUT HOW MEMBERS OF SUNDAY FUNDAY ARE CELEBRATING HOT BREAKFAST MONTH
A Day in the Life on the Farm: Apple Cinnamon French Toast Bake
Food Lust People Love: Chicken Rice Congee
Mayuri’s Jikoni: Egg Burji
Amy’s Cooking Adventures: Fluffy Pancakes
Our Good Life: Garlic Basil Sausage with Herbed Scrambled Eggs
Sizzling Tastebuds: Kodo Millet Crepes (Varagu Arisi Dosai)
Palatable Pastime: Sweet Breakfast Rice
Making Miracles: Toad in the Hole Bacon Breakfast Sandwich
Sneha’s Recipe: Tomato & Peas Poha
Ingredients Required For Egg Bhurji/ Anda Bhurji
- Eggs – use large or medium ones. Whisk lightly in a bowl just enough to break up the yolks and to mix with the whites.
- Oil – use any of your choice. I have used sunflower oil.
- Butter – adding butter is optional.
- Onion – peel and chopped finely. Use red, white or yellow.
- Tomato – finely chopped. I prefer to use Roma for this recipe as they are less watery. But use any you have in your kitchen.
- Green chilli – I prefer adding paste. You can chop a chilli or two finely. Add according to your taste.
- Ginger – i prefer to use paste
- Garlic – peeled and minced or finely chopped
- Cumin seeds – jeera, jiru
- Salt – add according to your taste
- Pepper powder – add according to your taste. Can also use coarsely ground pepper.
- Fresh Coriander – cilantro, chopped along with the tender stems.
- Turmeric powder – haldi, hardar
- Garam Masala – optional. Or use any spice mixture of your choice. Eg. pav bhaji masala, cajun spice mixture, etc
- Fresh Greens – like spinach, kale or beet leaves. Totally optional as traditionally it is not added. I added beet greens as I had some.
- To Serve – bread, paratha, roti or naan. I sometimes serve egg bhurji as a wrap.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE EGG BHURJI/ ANDA BHURJI
EGG BHURJI/ ANDA BHURJI
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala optional
- 1 cup spinach/kale/beet leaves chopped, optional
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- Whisk eggs lightly in a bowl.
- Heat oil and butter in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds.
- As soon as the seeds begin to sizzle, add chopped onion.
- Stir fry till it becomes a bit soft.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilli pastes. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped tomato. Stir fry till it becomes a bit soft.
- Add salt, garam masala (if using any), pepper and turmeric powders. Mix well.
- Add the whisked eggs.
- Lower the heat and keep mixing till the eggs begin to cook.
- Keep mixing with a spatula or spoon till the eggs get scrambled.
- If you prefer wet mixture, then don't cook further.
- Add the chopped leaves and coriander.
- Mix till the leaves wilt. Adding green leaves is optional.
- Serve Egg Bhurji with some toast, naan, paratha or roti.
- Some prefer egg bhurji a bit wet. So stop cooking the mixture as soon as you see that the eggs are cooked but soft.
- For a dry version, cook till you see no moisture.
- Adding spinach, kale or beet green is my version. In the traditional one, no green leaves are added except coriander leaves.
- Can add chopped bell pepper if you wish. Cook it with the tomato.
- Adding garam masala is optional. Can add any spice mixture of your choice or omit it altogether.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962