MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON -SEPT 2017 & SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: PROTEIN RICH DISHES & THE INCREDIBLE EDIBLE EGGS
RECIPE: HUEVOS RANCHEROS – MEXICAN STYLE BREAKFAST
Huevos Rancheros – Mexican Style Breakfast is a wholesome, filling, typical breakfast served at Mexican Farms. It basically eggs served on a corn tortilla, with refried beans or rice and a salsa. It is also known as Ranchers’ Eggs.
As I was going through my files, I came across this recipe in the draft. I had completely forgotten about it. Actually, I had prepared this delicious and filling breakfast dish for the Blogging Marathon Theme Breakfast for the month of August. However, I could not post it as I had to back out. I got too busy with guests. It was during one of my visits to Jean Talon market in Montreal that I came across a stall that had made fresh corn tortillas. These were made with white corn and not the usual yellow corn. I bought a packet as I had planned to make Huevos Rancheros.
Oh well, perhaps this recipe was meant to be a part of the protein rich dishes. As we are nearly ending this Mega Marathon, I’ve realized that I’ve got so many other recipes that I’d wanted to prepare for this theme. However, like this breakfast dish, the others will appear in some theme or the other in the coming future.
What is Huevos Rancheros?
Well, it is a Mexican breakfast or brunch. The tortilla is fried, more like shallow fried, and then topped with refried beans or rice, salsa or guacamole or both. Eggs are either fried or scrambled. Left over refried beans or rice are served along with the eggs to make it into a filling and wholesome meal for the ranchers. Definitely a filling and delicious meal.
Protein Sources In This Recipe Are Eggs, Beans, Avocado.
By no means am I claiming or supporting any sort of fad diet that are the latest craze in the fitness world. I’m just trying to include non meat non fish dishes from which you can get your protein source.
WHAT IS RANCHERO SAUCE?
Ranchero Sauce is a tomato and chilli pepper based sauce. It can be processed to a smooth texture or left a little coarse. What makes it so different from the usual Tomato Salsa Sauce is the use of hot chilli peppers and it is not chunky. This sauce is commonly served with eggs.
BLOGGING MARATHON GROUP
A group of enthusiast bloggers who post a recipe for a whole month according to the theme. This month’s theme is Protein Rich Dishes. I decided to showcase that Vegetarian Cuisine too has many protein rich options.
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
THEME: THE INCREDIBLE EDIBLE EGG
I love this theme suggested by Rebekah who blogs Making Miracles. Though I am a vegetarian I enjoy eggs. That makes me an ovo vegetarian. Eggs are my to do whenever I want to make a quick and filling dish. Though Huevos Rancheros is mainly a breakfast dish, hubby and I enjoy often for dinner.
First published on 26/09/2017 – update on 09/01/2022
SOME EGG RECIPES ON MY BLOG:
NASI GORENG – Indonesian Breakfast where egg is served with rice.
CHANGUA – Colombian Egg and Milk Soup breakfast.
LAHOOH – Somali breakfast where egg is served on a soft spongy flatbread.
SHAKSHOUKA – A Magrebi breakfast dish where eggs are poached in a thick tomato based sauce.
EGGS IN POPPY SEED AND TOMATO GRAVY – A typical Bengali style Egg Curry
SOME MORE EGG RECIPES BY MEMBERS OF SUNDAY FUNDAY
- Ajitsuke Tamago (Ramen Eggs) from Palatable Pastime
- Baked Eggs with Parmesan and Chives Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Beet-Marbled Eggs with Feta from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Dosa Egg Sandwich Sneha’s Recipe
- Egg, Ham and Cheese Crepe Pockets from Making Miracles
- Huevos Rancheros from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Huevos Rancheros Verde from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Ramen Bowls with Spinach & Poached Eggs from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Spicy Sweet Soy Eggplant Tofu Quail Egg Stir-fry from Food Lust People Love
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED FOR HUEVOS RANCHEROS
- Tortilla – usually corn tortilla are used but you can use wheat ones too.
- Kidney Beans – cooked. Can use red or black ones. I have used canned ones. You can soak and cook dried beans.
- Tomatoes – chopped ones for the sauce. Preferably fresh or you can used canned.
- Eggs – can use fried or scrambled eggs
- Tomato Puree – fresh tomato puree or canned.
- Jalapeno – for the sauce
- Smoked Paprika Powder – for both the sauce and the refried beans
- Chipotle Powder – for the sauce and the refried beans
- Onion – peeled and chopped finely for both the refried beans and sauce
- Garlic – peeled and minced, for both the refried beans and sauce.
- Salt – for for both the refried beans and sauce.
- Coriander Powder – for both the sauce and refried beans.
- Cilantro/ Fresh Coriander – for the sauce, refried beans and garnishing
- Oregano – use fresh or dried for the sauce. If you can use Mexican Oregano. I didn’t have any so used fresh oregano.
- Avocado – peeled and sliced or chopped. To serve on the side.
- Spring Onion – optional, for garnishing
- Cheese – use either cotija or feta cheese. Optional.
- Oil – Any oil of your choice for the sauce, refried beans and tortilla.
- Butter – optional for the eggs or use oil.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE HUEVOS RANCHEROS
HUEVOS RANCHEROS - MEXICAN STYLE BREAKFAST
FOR THE RANCHERO SAUCE: MAKES 1 CUP
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- 1 cup tomatoes finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño finely chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp oregano fresh or dried
- ½ cup water or stock
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
FOR HUEVOS RANCHEROS:
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 cup red/black kidney beans cooked
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup tomato puree fresh
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup ranchero sauce
- 1 medium avocado peeled and cut into slices
- ¼ cup coriander/cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup spring onion chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp oil + extra for the tortillas
- Oil or butter for fried eggs
- ½ cup cotija or feta cheese
PREPARATION OF RANCHERO SAUCE:
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and jalapeño.
- Stir fry till it becomes soft and onion is light pink in colour.
- Add garlic and stir fry for a few seconds. Add the oregano and mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, water or stock, chipotle, smoked paprika and coriander powders. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook till the tomatoes become soft.
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit. Add chopped cilanto and lime juice.
- Process in a food processor to a coarse or smooth sauce.
PREPARATION OF HUEVOS RANCHEROS
- First prepare the rancheros sauce. Check for recipe here.
- To prepare the refried beans, heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add onion and stir fry till it becomes soft.
- Add garlic paste and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add tomato puree, water, salt, paprika, chipotle powder and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Partially mash the cooked beans and add to the tomato mixture.
- Cover the pan and let the mixture cook for 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally so that the mixture does not burn at the bottom.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Spread a bit of oil over the pan.
- Put one tortilla in the pan. Let it cook till small bubbles appear.
- Flip and cook the other side adding little oil.
- Keep the shallow fried tortilla on a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Keep the tortillas warm in the oven at low heat till you prepare the eggs.
- Add some oil or butter in a frying pan over medium to low heat.
- Crack an egg and fry it.
- To assemble the huevos rancheros take one or two fried tortilla. Spread about a tablespoon or two of the refried beans over it.
- Put the fried egg on top of it.
- Put a few avocado slices. Sprinkle cheese, coriander and spring onion over it. Serve with rancheros sauce.
- Repeat the above steps with the remaining tortillas and eggs.
- Can serve with guacamole, some refried rice, green salsa sauce.
- Eggs can be scrambled instead of fried.
- Nowadays wheat flour tortillas are also used for this dish.
- If you don't have chipotle powder, then use normal red chili powder.
- The ranchero sauce stays in the fridge for a week.
- Can serve 2 eggs per person.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
Check out what other Mega Blogging Marathoners have made for Day 22: