Instant Semolina Idli /Rava Idli

January 15, 2019mayurisjikoni
Blog post

EVENT: FOOD BLOGGERS RECIPE SWAP

THEME: JANUARY 2019 SWAP

After a long lull, the gentle storm has come back. Food Bloggers Recipe Swap has been revived by fellow blogger Mireille who blogs at The Schizo Chef. If you’re looking for exciting International dishes, then her blog is the place to visit.

Mireille decided that instead of just having the partners cook from each others blog, she mixed us all up. For example though I have to cook a recipe from Renu’s blog, Cook With Renu, she cooks from someone else’s.

I’ve been partners with Renu before and had learnt to make bajra idli from her blog which is was an instant hit with my friends and family. If I’m inviting them home for a meal they want me to make the idlis. This time round I wanted to make Zhingyalov Hats from her blog but was not able to get fresh herbs. So had to change my plans and choose something else. Most her baked goodies look so tempting, but I just had to click through them quickly as I didn’t want to make anything sweet. Finally I landed up with another idli recipe. Renu must be thinking ‘oh no not another idli recipe from my blog.’

The reasons for making these idlis were, one I wanted to make some travel food and secondly though I simply love rawa idli, I had not made them at home. Her recipe just attracted me to try and I’m so glad that I did. Simple, easy and so delicious. The other charming thing about this recipe is that one can add any vegetables to the idli batter. I tweaked her recipe a bit by also adding some boiled peas. It took me hardly 20 minutes to make them. As I made them to enjoy them on our first train journey on the new SGR from Mombasa to Nairobi, I didn’t make any sambhar. Take it from me the cold idlis with the chutney just tasted awesome. A hearty breakfast on the the train.

Without wasting much time lets get to the easy peasy recipe.

INSTANT SEMOLINA IDLI/RAVA IDLI

Makes about 20

Recipe Source: Cook With Renu

1 cup semolina (sooji)

1-2 finely chopped green chilllis

1 tsp grated ginger

½ cup grated carrot

½ cup boiled peas

¼ cup sour plain yogurt

¾ – 1 tsp salt

1½ – 1¾ cups water

¾ – 1 tsp Eno (plain fruit salt)

1 tsp ghee

For tempering:

1 tbsp oil

1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)

1 tbsp  roasted chana dal (split chickpea)

7-8 curry leaves, chopped

½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)

2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhana)

a generous pinch of asafetida (hing)

extra oil for greasing the idli mold

1. Add ghee into a wide pan. Heat it over low heat.
  2. Add semolina and roast it for about 2 minutes.
  3. Take the pan off the heat. Let the semolina or sooji cool down completely.
  4. Add the semolina to a bowl.
  5. Add chopped chillis, ginger, salt, vegetables, water and yogurt.
  6. Mix well till the mixture has no lumps.
  7. Heat the 1 tbsp oil in a small pan over low heat.
  8. Add chana dal and roast it till it begins to turn light brown in colour.
  9. Add the urad dal and roast till it changes colour.
  10. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and coriander. Mix and let it sizzle for a few seconds.
  11. Add asafetida and immediately pour the tempering into the batter.
  12. Mix well. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
  13. Prepare the idli steamer, add water for steaming. Grease the idli molds with oil.
  14. When the water begins to boil, add Eno to the batter and give it a good mix till its appears fluffy.
  15. Using a ladle, fill the idli molds or cavities with the batter.
  16. Steam the idlis for 10 minutes.
  17. Remove the mold from the steamer. Let the idlis cool down a bit about 5-10 minutes.
  18. Using a butter knife or a thin spatula, carefully remove the idlis from the mold.
  19. Serve the idlis with your choice of chutney and sambhar or vegetable stew.

Tips:

• The batter should not be too dry or too watery.
  • Add vegetables of your choice like finely chopped French beans, corn, finely chopped spinach etc.
  • Use medium coarse semolina.
  • Add nuts if you like.
  • For travel purpose I chopped the idlis into quarters which was so much easier to enjoy with a fork.
  • Check Renu’s blog to see what an idli steamer looks like.
  • I highly recommend that you add the tempering as that makes the idlis taste completely different.
  • Many people presume semolina is gluten free, but its not.
  • For vegan option omit dairy yogurt and replace it with vegan yogurt.

Pin for later:

A little request:

If you do try this recipe then please either

• add a comment below,
  • send a picture to my email mayuri.ajay.patel62@gmail.com
  •  tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
  • or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962

You may want to check out the following recipes:

bajri idli

idli chaat

Blog post

idli sambhar

Sharing this recipe with the following event:

Recipe Swap Club

15037221_1238849422838728_3197328411481924186_n

Do check out the other delicious recipes from this month’s Recipe Swap!

Recipe Swap Recipes

29 Comments

• Rafeeda – The Big Sweet Tooth

January 15, 2019 at 1:25 pm

I have eaten rava idli from out many times but haven’t made it at home yet! What a shame… your platter looks so delicious! I wouldn’t dare eat anything on the metro here since I would invite a penalty for myself… hehe…

January 15, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Thanks Rafeeda, I too have eaten them out so so so many times and can’t believe that its so easy to make them.

• The Girl Next Door

January 15, 2019 at 1:36 pm

I love rava idlis! Love how you have made them nutritious by adding various veggies to them. The idlis look so soft and delicious!

January 15, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Priya, they did turn out really good.

• Renu Agrawal Dongre

January 15, 2019 at 3:01 pm

Definitely not, I am not thinking like why another Idli, Infact I am glad that you choose this. The idli’s look so yum and I too love the addition of peas, but since my husband does not I skip them. And yes you are right they are perfect as a travel food. Beautiful clicks. And yes I too made another Instant Idli for this challenge 🙂

January 15, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Renu.. Will have to check out your instant idli, getting hooked to the variety of idlis.

• chefmireille

January 15, 2019 at 10:58 pm

I can imagine everyone else snacking on junk food on the train while you enjoy these delicious idli’s – your breakfast was much healthier than theirs I am sure 🙂 – btw I absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED the githeri I cooked from you!

January 18, 2019 at 10:39 pm

Mireille never thought go that, come to think of it ours was a healthy breakfast while others were snacking on cookies and chips for breakfast! I’m so glad you loved the githeri recipe. We too love this wholesome meal.

• simplysensationalfood

January 16, 2019 at 12:41 am

These idlis looks super delicious nad I like the addition of the vegetables to the batter.These would make a lovely and healthy snack dish.

January 18, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Thank you so much Nayna.

• simplysensationalfood

January 16, 2019 at 12:43 am

Simply mouthwatering and super healthy snack.I love the addition of the vegetables to the batter.

January 18, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Thank you so much Nayna.

• Lathiya

January 16, 2019 at 4:13 am

Rava Oslo looks scrumptious…it’s amazing to start the day off with this nutritious and delicious breakfast.

January 18, 2019 at 10:37 pm

Thanks Lathiya.

• Seema Doraiswamy Sriram

January 16, 2019 at 6:23 am

Firstly super cool collection of idli recipes, Mayuri. It is such a comfort to have this instant rava idli option. I save these for the days I really cant push myself, but need a slice of home. Your idlies look perfect

January 18, 2019 at 10:37 pm

Thank you so much Seema. I now have an easy peasy recipe for idlis 🙂

• Ali

January 16, 2019 at 6:36 am

I’ve never made idlis – I am so happy to be part of this group and get to learn more about so many awesome recipes! You make this sound easy – I will definitely add it to my list of recipes to try out this year!

January 18, 2019 at 10:36 pm

Please do try it Ali, if you love international cuisine then you’ll love this breakfast treat.

• Jagruti Dhanecha

January 16, 2019 at 11:54 am

Instant semolina idli makes me week at knees, especially with coconut chutney! Loving it with many veggies as it becomes wholesome dish.

January 18, 2019 at 10:32 pm

Thanks Jagruti. It is a really healthy breakfast treat.

• themadscientistskitchen

January 16, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Mayuri I have been drooling over the idli images since they have turned on my FB yesterday! in fact I have made so many mistakes typing out this message all because I cannot help looking back at the pics.
    I love the idlis Mayuri they are amazing and my favorite as the need minimum preparations.

January 18, 2019 at 6:58 pm

Thank you so much Archana. I’ve always loved rava idli but didn’t know that it was so so so easy to prepare.

• Sandhya Ramakrishnan

January 17, 2019 at 6:56 am

I love this instant rava idli and will make them in a blink of a second. It is my to go dinner when I am out of ideas to make. I have added carrots before but not tried green peas. Will give it a try next time.

January 18, 2019 at 6:56 pm

Thank you so much Sandhya, hubby is asking me to make the idlis again.

• jayashreetrao

January 19, 2019 at 1:49 pm

This is another dish I keep making often. Yours look so delicious and an ideal travel food.

January 20, 2019 at 10:57 am

Thanks Jayashree, we loved it as travel food as cold idlis tasted as good as the hot ones.

• Sasmita

January 30, 2019 at 7:10 am

Instant semolina idli !! WOW WOW 🙂 Also the addition of veggies here are making it much wholesome dish.

January 30, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Thanks Sasmita, I love veggies filled idlis.

• Preethi Prasad

April 1, 2019 at 12:43 pm

Delicious Idli Platter loaded with goodness of veggies. I love instant recipes as they come in handy when i am late from work.

your comments are valuable to me

Previous Post Next Post