Heart Shaped Raspberry Rolls
EVENTS: SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: RECIPES WITH HEARTS
RECIPE: HEART SHAPED RASPBERRY ROLLS
Heart Shaped Raspberry Rolls with soft fluffy sweet dough, fresh raspberries and drizzled with glace icing makes a perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast treat. Alright, I know, we had them earlier than Valentine’s Day as I had to take the photos for this theme. However, have saved two and put them in the fridge. Valentine’s Day, will simply warm them up in my toaster oven and enjoy with some coffee.
Truth be told I actually wanted to make these rolls with fresh strawberries. However, the day I went shopping, the nearby supermarket didn’t have any. So I picked up raspberries. And am I glad I used them in the rolls. They were so sweet and the seeds add a little bite.
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
THEME: RECIPES WITH HEARTS
Rebekah who blogs at Making Miracles suggested the following, “you gotta have heeearrrttttttttt!! Happy almost Valentine’s Day! Interpret this literally or figuratively. Is your recipe full of the love you poured into it, does it actually contain some type of heart, or is it heart shaped? Be creative! ”
It has been ages since I baked any sort of bread. Therefore heart shaped bake was on my mind.
My hubby is not too great with being romantic. The ever practical side of him thinks it is a waste of money to buy cards, flowers, etc. In the 40 years that I’ve known him, I go through the whole hint dropping about flowers, chocolates, cards, etc but it just seems to fly over his head.
However, that doesn’t stop me from doing what I am good at….making desserts or something sweet. For Valentine’s I have two heart shaped raspberry rolls for breakfast and strawberry mousse as dessert. Yes, finally did get strawberries.
Some Other Treats I’ve Prepared For Valentine’s Day
- Chocolate Mango Smoothie – perfect for breakfast
- So different, light and delicious Watermelon Mousse
- Some egg free small bakes is a good sweet treat – Strawberry Choco Chips Cupcakes
- Watermelon Gazpacho makes a delicious cool Valentine’s Day treat especially when it is hot day.
- Rose And Saffron Yogurt Mousse is a delightful dessert especially when you don’t get strawberries.
- Serve Milk Pudding with Jelly with cute jelly hearts on top.
- Plum Hand Pies – fun to make especially when fresh plums are in season around Valentine’s Day.
- My favourite is Strawberry Oreo Cheesecake
- Chocolate Coated Strawberries are the easiest Valentine’s Day treat to make.
Check Out What Other Sunday Funday Members Have Made For Valentine’s Day
Palatable Pastime: Antipasto Salad
Food Lust People Love: Baked Nutty Truffles
Sneha’s Recipe: Crispy Veg Heart Cutlet
A Day in the Life on the Farm: Hearts of Palm and Avocado Salad
Amy’s Cooking Adventures: Heart Shaped Garlic Knots
Making Miracles: Heart Shaped Pizza Pocket
Mayuri’s Jikoni: Heart Shaped Raspberry Rolls
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED FOR HEART SHAPED RASPBERRY ROLLS
- Flour – I have used a mixture of wheat flour and all purpose flour.
- Butter – for the dough and little for greasing the bowl.
- Sugar – normal white sugar to mix with the fresh raspberries
- Lemon Zest – adds a wonderful flavour to the dough and the raspberry filling.
- Warm Milk – for the dough.
- Yeast – I have used instant active dry yeast which does not require any fermenting before adding to the dough.
- Fresh Raspberries – slightly mashed
- Cornstarch – to add to the raspberry filling
- Icing Sugar – powdered sugar, confectioners’ sugar, for the glace icing.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE HEART SHAPED RASPBERRY ROLLS
HEART SHAPED RASPBERRY ROLLS
FOR THE SWEET DOUGH:
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp butter soft
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 2¼ tsp instant dry yeast
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1- 1½ cups warm milk
- Extra flour for dusting
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup raspberries fresh
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
FOR GLACE ICING:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp raspberry syrup or water
PREPARATION OF THE DOUGH:
- Add the flours, salt, sugar, lemon zest and yeast to a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add warm milk and form a dough.
- Dust the worktop lightly with some flour.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it on the dusted worktop for 10 minutes.
- Add butter little at a time and knead it into the dough.
- The dough should be soft and silky. Shape it into a round ball.
- Grease the mixing bowl lightly with some butter.
- Place the dough in the bowl.
- Cover and allow it to ferment for 1½ hours or till it is double in size.
PREPARATION OF THE RASPBERRY FILLING:
- Put the raspberries in a bowl.
- Add sugar, cornflour and lemon zest.
- Mix and mash lightly.
PREPARE THE HEART SHAPED ROLLS:
- Line a baking tray with some parchment paper.
- Roll out the fermented dough on a lightly dusted worktop.
- Roll it out to a rectangle of about 9 inches by 15 inches.
- Spread the raspberry mixture over the rectangle. Save about 2-3 tbsp of the syrup.
- Starting from the long side, roll the dough towards the middle.
- Stop when you reach the middle.
- Roll the upper part of the dough towards the middle.
- With a sharp knife, cut off the two ends. I rolled it up into one bun.
- Cut the raspberry roll into slices about 1 inch thick.
- Arrange them on the baking tray. Using your fingers, pinch the bottom part gently to give the rolls a heart shape.
- Allow the rolls to ferment for 30 - 40 minutes.
BAKE THE HEART SHAPED RASPBERRY ROLLS
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the tray with the rolls in the oven and bake them for 30-40 minutes or until the they are golden brown.
- Remove the rolls from the oven.
- Place them on a wire rack to cool.
PREPARE THE GLACE AND DRIZZLE:
- Add icing sugar in a bowl. Add 2-3 tbsp of the raspberry syrup.
- Mix till you get a thick glace icing. Should be able to drizzle with it.
- Drizzle the rolls with glace icing, using a spoon or a squeezy bottle.
- Enjoy Heart Shaped Raspberry Rolls with some coffee or tea.
- Can use plain flour instead of wheat flour.
- Don't mash the raspberries too much.
- If you haven't saved a bit of the raspberry mixture for the icing then use water.
- You can roll up the dough into a normal swiss roll and cut into slices for round rolls.
- Amount of warm milk required to make the dough depends on the flour. Some tend to soak up more liquid than others.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
- If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
February 13, 2022 at 10:39 am
Perfect Valentine Day breakfast treat Mayuri. Maybe this will be the year your husband surprises you….if not just remind yourself of the ways he shows his love every day.
February 13, 2022 at 9:11 pm
Thanks Wendy, I keep reminding him about Valentine’s Day and my birthday every year and still no surprises await me. However, I do that to ‘needle” him but yes he shows his love every single day in all the little things he does for me.
February 14, 2022 at 5:27 am
What a perfect breakfast to serve up for Valentine Day!
February 17, 2022 at 2:53 pm
Thank you so much Sneha. And yes, it was perfect for Valentine’s Day.
February 23, 2022 at 11:44 am
Wow The Heart Shaped Raspberry Rolls Looks so Delicious and Tasty that I just can’t Wait To have it.I hope you would Share More Recioes like This.
February 24, 2022 at 3:21 pm
Thank you Sneha. If you check out the dessert and bread section, I have so many recipes using fruits.
February 23, 2022 at 11:06 pm
These are so pretty. I am going to ask my son and daughter to learn this. When the special person comes along, you don’t need to say anything more than this to let them know!!
February 24, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Awww so cute Seema, thank you so much.Nothing better than homemade edible gifts for loved ones.
February 24, 2022 at 4:58 am
These raspberry rolls look so cute and perfect for the Valentine’s Day. I never get raspberries here, will use strawberries instead.
February 24, 2022 at 3:16 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree. Yes you can easily use strawberries.
June 2, 2022 at 11:55 pm
Wow superb and easy heart shaped rolls. I can visualize the way you rolled up.
I loved the idea n think I will try some when I get strawberries. Cannot wait.
June 3, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Thanks Archana, am sure the strawberries ones too will taste really good.
June 6, 2022 at 12:30 am
I have seen these made with puff pastry, but you have made the dough from scratch.. this is sure to please kids with the shape and the lovely colour from the raspberries !
June 6, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Thanks Kalyani, these rolls can be made with both yeast dough and puff pastry. I too love the natural pink colour from the raspberries.
June 10, 2022 at 12:18 am
Such a cute and loving treat for Valentine’s day . Perfect pink color and the heart shape are so so irresistible to stop with one bite . I would want to grab one pastry right away off the screen .
June 10, 2022 at 2:20 pm
Thank you so much Priya. They are delicious for sure.