Avocado Mushroom Pasta Salad
Updated Avocado Mushroom Pasta Salad post with better write up and photos. Recipe remains the same.
AVOCADO MUSHROOM PASTA SALAD
Avocado Mushroom Pasta Salad is one salad I can have practically everyday. The reason being its got all my three favorites well actually four.. avocado, mushroom, pasta and cheese. Whenever I make a salad that I’m going to have have as a meal, I add cheese not only for the protein part but also to make it more fun. Yes food for me has to be colorful, fun and appealing.
After 8 years, since my son has been in Canada, we finally have decided to apply for the Canadian Super Visa. This visa allows us to visit our son whenever we want.
What is a Super Visa?
Super Visa is whereby a Canadian citizen can get visas for his/her parents or grandparents which are valid for 10 years. However, the process is not as straightforward as it seems. One of the requirements is a medical examination.
For this we have to travel to Nairobi. For visa application, travel to Nairobi. Nothing gets done from Mombasa. After submitting our application, two weeks later we were asked to appear at a designated medical centre for the medical tests. It took us the whole day. Next day we travelled back to Mombasa. After week get a call from the Medical Centre that they need us back to redo some tests. This way we travelled back and forth four times. Fifth time was to finally get our passports with the Super Visa.
How did I come up with this Avocado Mushroom Pasta Salad?
With all the trips to Nairobi, the fifth time we had decided to stay a bit longer. Naturally, I had to clear out the fresh produce from my fridge. One ripe avocado, some mushrooms and a bit of boiled pasta.Decided to put all of them together to make a hearty, filling and delicious salad. Hubby loved the salad. Ever since then, I make the salad often with addition or subtraction of the other ingredients. However, the main three remain the same.
I’m a big fan of homemade dressings as I find the ready made ones taste too vinegary. With home made dressing I’m able to use better quality vinegar or replace it with lemon. With the tomato dressing, no lemon or vinegar is required as the tomato itself lands a tangy flavour.
Always have fresh tomato puree in the fridge:
During my weekly shopping I buy plenty of tomatoes. Wash and cut them into halves and allow them to cook over very low heat till they become soft. Sometimes I add about a quarter cup of water so that the tomatoes do not get burnt at the bottom of the pan. The water or juice released is used up for soups and dals (lentil curries). Puree the tomatoes and store it in an airtight container. This tomato puree comes in handy for curries and sauces. I avoid using canned tomato puree as it contains preservatives and vinegar.
Some Mushroom Dishes that may interest you:
- Mushroom Spinach Curry ( Dhingri Palak Sabji)
- Shahi Mushroom Korma
- Paneer and Mushroom Enchiladas
- Baked Breaded Mushroom
- Mushroom Egg Fried Rice
- Mushrooms on Toast
- Enoki Mushrooms and Mache Salad
- Pasta with Mushroom Sauce
- Sweet Corn and Mushroom Soup
- Pesto Mushroom Pie
- Mushroom Soup
- Spinach Mushroom Pies
- Vegetarian Bao Buns with Mushroom Filling
Ingredients required for Avocado Mushroom Pasta Salad
- Avocado – ripe but firm
- Mushrooms – I’ve used button mushrooms
- Pasta – boiled as per the instructions on the packet. Use any kind, fusilli, shell, macaroni, bow, etc. Can replace it with wholewheat pasta.
- Lemon Juice – preferably fresh
- Garlic – thinly sliced or minced
- Olive oil
- Cheddar Cheese – cut into small cubes or use any cheese of your choice
- Salt – for the mushroom and also for the dressing
- Fresh Tomato Puree – for the dressing
- Chilli Flakes – to add to the dressing. Optional
- Black Pepper Powder – fine or coarse, for the dressing
- Dried or fresh herb of your choice – to add to the dressing. I have used dried oregano
- Sugar – very little, but an optional ingredient
- For a pure vegetarian version use vegetarian cheese
- Want a vegan option? Vegan option omit the cheese or use a vegan friendly cheese
- Gluten Free version, replace the pasta with a gluten free pasta
AVOCADO MUSHROOM PASTA SALAD WITH TOMATO DRESSING
FOR THE AVOCADO MUSHROOM SALAD
- 2 cups mushrooms (about 200g) cut into chunks
- 1 cup cucumber sliced or cut into chunks
- 1 cup cooked pasta
- 1 large avocado peel and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped or minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup tiny cheddar cheese cubes
- ½ cup sweet corn cooked
- ½ cup baby tomatoes cut into halves
- pinch salt
- ½ cup fresh tomato puree
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ -⅓ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp coarse black pepper powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano or any herb of your choice
- Heat a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the sliced on minced garlic.
- Stir fry for a few seconds but don't burn the garlic.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Stir fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Allow the mushrooms to cool down a bit.
- Sprinkle salt over the mushrooms and mix.
- Peel and cut the avocado into chunks. Drizzle lemon juice over it.
- Add to the mushrooms.
- Add all the remaining salad ingredients and mix gently.
PREPARATION OF THE TOMATO DRESSING
- Heat the olive oil for the dressing in a small pan over low heat.
- Add the dried herb and tomato puree.
- Allow the tomato puree to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar and pepper powder.
- Mix well and allow the dressing to cool.
SERVING AVOCADO MUSHROOM PASTA SALAD
- Serve the salad with the dressing on the side or mix the dressing in the salad just before serving time.
- If preparing the salad for a party, prepare everything ahead of time and put in the fridge.
- Make sure you drizzle the avocado chunks with lemon juice otherwise it will become black.
- Add roasted nuts of your choice.
Pin for later
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
August 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm
Very healthy and tasty thanks for linking it to lets cook with cheese firstname.lastname@example.org
September 15, 2020 at 2:29 am
This Mushroom avocado pasta salad sounds delicious. Love this interesting salad with home made tomato dressing. Home made dressing is the best always.Lovely riot of colours.
September 15, 2020 at 8:18 pm
Thank you so much Preethi. I like it as its filling, healthy and delicious.
September 15, 2020 at 8:46 am
Wow! I have recently started appreciating avocado so we will definitely be trying out all combos. This salad sounds yum Mayuri the girls will like it too sans the cheese. 😀
I like your tomato puree tip I will do it for the last of the tomatoes from now on before I get my next lot of tomatoes.
September 15, 2020 at 8:17 pm
Thank you so much Archana. Hope the girls enjoy the salad. As for the tomato puree I find that so handy for any dish I need tomato sauce or curry.
September 15, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Wow, this salad looks so refreshing. Happened to have mushroom and avocado in the fridge. It’s so tempting me to try. I love this tomato puree dressing as well. Great recipe.
September 15, 2020 at 8:11 pm
Thank you so much Malini. Hope you love it when you try out the recipe.
September 16, 2020 at 4:26 am
what a quick and easy pasta salad. I would enjoy this when the munchies come too. Glad after all the trips you were finally able to get through!
September 16, 2020 at 4:40 pm
Thank you so much Mireille.
September 16, 2020 at 6:31 am
I always love homemade dressing for salad. Tangy and flavorful both words are sufficient for mouthwatering. Salad looks super healthy and tempting. How you store your tomato puree, in refrigerator or freezer? You have a great collection of mushroom recipes. I have to try all one by one.
September 16, 2020 at 4:39 pm
Thank you so much Sujata. As I make the puree weekly, I store it in the fridge right behind in the fridge as that’s the coolest part. If I find that by Wed or Thur there is more left, I put it in the freezer. However, rarely need to do that as it gets used up.
November 8, 2021 at 9:28 pm
The pasta with avo and mushrooms will be perfect for my summer evenings. It gets incredibly hot and I love to have a cooler filling bite to eat. Will give this a try for sure.
November 9, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Thank you so much Seema, please do try out the salad. It is a perfect summer time filling dish.
November 9, 2021 at 2:33 am
Lovely salad with avocado. I am not a great fan of mushrooms, will substitute with anything else or just make it with all the other ingredients. It sounds delicious with the tomato dressing.
November 9, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Thanks Jayashree, that is what I like about salads, one can add or remove ingredients of their choice. So yes, make it way you like.
November 9, 2021 at 9:59 am
Hubby and the little one would love this salad with avo and mushroom
Which are favourites at home . Personally I would love the very unusual yet super delish tomato dressing
November 9, 2021 at 6:09 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani. The tomato dressing tastes good also with a bean salad.