523. Baked breaded mushrooms
Just too expensive
We all understand that food prices are rising all the time. Sometimes its the scarcity or the petrol price. Whatever the reason may be we all are paying more for basic food. Last weekend My hubby and I went to one of our favourite restaurant to have lunch. Hubby usually orders fish and I stick to pasta(not many vegetarian options). For starters,we share the usual plate of breaded mushrooms. However, this time round we got only 6 button mushrooms on the plate. Previously we would get at least 10 – 12. On top of that the price had increased so basically for every breaded mushroom that went into out mouth,we had paid nearly 85c for it. All those living in the developed country may think that, that is not expensive. But for a developing country it is. So we decided not to order that dish in the future when we go to that restaurant again. I do know that most restaurants charge a slightly high price for the drinks and starters. But 6 mushrooms on a plate for nearly Ksh 500 (nearly $5) is too much.
I bought some mushrooms a few days ago to make pasta. However, the breaded mushrooms came to my mind and I do love them. So the search on the internet began. To make a healthy option, I baked them. They turned out so delicious, crispy and crunchy. The plus point was no oil … all baked so ate without feeling guilty at all.
Do check out the simple, healthy and quick recipe. Guarantee, you will not fry them ever again.
Baked breaded mushrooms
Makes 20 -25
Recipe source : Global Post
20 -25 button mushrooms
½ cup bread crumbs
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp coarse pepper powder
½ tsp dried mixed herbs
¼ tsp garlic paste
little oil for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and lightly brush it with some oil.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a wet cloth.
- Break the egg into a bowl. Whip it lightly.
- Mix bread crumbs, salt, pepper, herbs and garlic together in another bowl.
- Dip a mushroom in the egg and then coat it with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place it on the prepared tray, stem facing up.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the remaining mushrooms.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake the mushrooms for 10 -15 minutes till they become golden brown and crunchy.
- Serve immediately with your favourite dip. I served it with tomato chutney.
- I made the breadcrumbs at home. Its so easy. I took 3 – 4 slices of brown bread and pulsed it into coarse crumbs. Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking tray. Baked at 150°C for 20 -25 minutes till crispy and dry.
- Add any flavouring and spices you prefer to the breadcrumb mixture.
- I left the stem as it becomes easier to dip them in the egg and breadcrumb mixture.
- Store left breadcrumbs in a tight container.
|spinach mushroom pies|
|mushroom on toast|
|savoury pizza muffins|
October 6, 2015 at 7:00 pm
These mushrooms look really delicious and I love the fact that they are low fat too.
October 6, 2015 at 9:28 pm
These look yummy.. nice snack
October 7, 2015 at 9:23 am
I liked the option of baking …crispy starter
October 8, 2015 at 7:45 am
Awesome..I'll see what can I use instead of eggs ? maybe cornflour slurry 🙂
October 8, 2015 at 4:49 pm
Healthy and delicious, looks very tempting..
October 9, 2015 at 9:13 am
Healthy and delicious one.. would be great as a starter or as snack..
Levan @ Crazy Vegan Kitchen
October 12, 2015 at 8:38 pm
I LOVE mushrooms but, surprisingly, have never tried them breaded before. This recipe looks very doable and definitely worth a try!! Thanks for sharing!!
October 13, 2015 at 3:04 am
This recipe sounds great! I used to have baked breaded mushrooms all the time when I was living in Australia, but haven't come across them much since moving (theres a lot of deep fried versions, but I cant handle them). Yum!
Shunmuga sundari C
October 13, 2015 at 9:50 am
Something to rely for evening snacks for kids 🙂
October 13, 2015 at 10:58 am
Oh yes, I love the idea of baked breaded mushrooms. I've bookmarked 🙂
July 31, 2021 at 9:18 am
Yes! I am making these today. So very tired of eating the same old stir-fried mushrooms! These baked breaded mushrooms will be most welcome! Loved the idea and the fact that it is guilt-free and definitely lighter on the pocket!
August 1, 2021 at 4:09 am
Thank you so much Archana, enjoy when you try the baked breaded mushrooms.