Pasta With Butternut Squash Sauce
Recipe: Pasta With Butternut Squash Sauce
Pasta With Butternut Squash Sauce is a filling, delicious and creamy pasta dish that one can easily enjoy as a main meal. Add vegetables of your choice. It makes a wonderful change from the usual tomato and white sauce based pastas. Perfect vegetarian dish to serve for Thanks Giving or Christmas Dinners.
First Trial Of Pasta With Butternut Squash Sauce
Sometime back I had roasted a big butternut squash to prepare some soup. I used half of the butternut squash. I stored the remaining in the fridge. Next day was wondering what I can make with the remaining roasted butternut squash. Had a box of pasta sitting in the pantry and that is when the idea came.
Hubby and I are huge fans of pasta. I make a pasta dish at least once a week. However, just using tomato or white sauce gets a bit boring. I sometimes make pasta with mushroom sauce, with pesto or with spinach sauce. So that is when I thought why not a butternut squash sauce? It is creamy without adding any cream and so delicious.
We really enjoyed the creaminess and different tasting pasta. After that have made it several times with different vegetables. But, must admit I love it with mushrooms.
It is a winter squash that grows on vine. In Kenya we get butternut squash practically throughout the year. Did you know that butternut squash is actually classified as a fruit and not a vegetable? It is also known as butternut pumpkin. This squash is pretty versatile. You can roast it, grill it, boil it, stir fry it, puree it. Use the squash as a side dish, make soup, make a stir fry, add the puree to breads, cakes, cookies, etc. Butternut Squash is a rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, magnesium, potassium and dietary fiber.
Some Butternut Squash Recipes On My Blog
Actually, don’t have enough of them but I love adding the puree to my flatbread dough. The most popular dish at home with this squash is Butternut Squash Soup. I also like making Butternut Squash And Apple Salad. Makes a wonderful, delicious and filling light lunch.
Ingredients Required For Pasta With Butternut Squash Sauce
- Pasta – any type – penne, shell, spaghetti etc. Boil it as per the instructions on the packet or box.
- Butternut Squash Puree – roast the squash, steam it or boil it. I prefer to roast it in the oven. Cut the squash into half. Remove the seeds. Brush it with some olive oil. Arrange on a baking tray and roast it in the oven at 180ºC for 30 minutes or till done. I usually roast it without any herbs or garlic so that I can use the puree for other recipes. For this recipe you will need about 1 cupful of the thick puree.
- Mushrooms – use any type of mushrooms of your choice. Can slice them or cut into chunks.
- Spinach – add more or less, according to your taste.
- Olive Oil – for roasting the butternut squash and also for the pasta.
- Fresh Sage – sage and butternut squash pairs pretty well. However, you can use any fresh herbs of your choice. My next favourite is fresh basil.
- Onion – peeled and finely chopped. Can use white, red or yellow onion.
- Garlic – peeled and minced or finely chopped.
- Black Pepper Powder – add according to your taste.
- Paprika – I like to used smoked paprika. Adds an earthy flavour.
- Lemon Juice – balances the sweet taste of butternut squash.
- Salt – add according to your taste.
- Cheese – parmesan or cheddar. Use any cheese of your preference. For a vegan version omit the cheese or use vegan cheese.
PASTA WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH SAUCE
FOR THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SAUCE
- 350 g butternut squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
FOR THE PASTA
- 2 cups pasta cooked
- 1 cup butternut squash puree thick½
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 leaves sage
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic finely chopped
- 250 g mushrooms sliced or cut into chunks
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- ½ cup parmesan or cheddar cheese grated
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
PREPARATION OF THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SAUCE
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the butternut squash into half.
- Scoop out the seeds and the fibrous bits.
- Brush the squash with some olive oil.
- Arrange on a baking tray with cut side up.
- Bake for 30 minutes till the butternut squash is done.
- Scoop out the flesh or pulp.
- Puree it in a food processor. If it is too thick add very little water.
PREPARATION OF PASTA WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH SAUCE
- Heat olive oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add the sage leaves and stir fry till they wilt a bit.
- Add the onion and stir fry till it becomes soft.
- Add garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the mushroom slices or chunks. Stir them frequently.
- When they become a bit soft, add the spinach.
- Cook till the spinach wilts a bit.
- Add the pasta and mix well.
- Add salt, pepper and paprika powder. Mix well.
- Add the butternut squash puree. Mix well.
- Allow the pasta mixture to become hot.
- Sprinkle grated cheese and serve immediately.
- Add spices of your choice.
- Use fresh herbs of your choice.
- Add sweet corn, zucchini, broccoli, peas, carrots, French Beans etc. Add any vegetables of your choice.
- Use any pasta of your choice.
- Replace paprika with cayenne powder or red chilli powder for more hot flavour.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
add a comment below,
send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
May 9, 2015 at 8:40 pm
This is a very interesting sauce I am sure it tasted great.I shall book mark for my friend who has a tomato allergy as she can try this instead of the classic tomato sauce on pasta.
May 10, 2015 at 5:09 am
This is indeed a very innovative and healthy sauce recipe.
May 10, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Innovative recipe , Nice combo
May 11, 2015 at 10:14 am
yes we should dress up according to the venue….nice recipe
May 13, 2015 at 6:20 pm
The sauce with all my favourite spices and lemon sounds wonderful. Good tips when travelling too. I always like to be comfortable when I am travelling.
December 5, 2021 at 1:32 pm
Pasta with butternut squash sauce surely looks great. It is an apt option for those who shun from white sauce recipes , myself being one among them. This is quite nutritive and wholesome. I liked the use of sage leaves. Nice post.
December 5, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Thank you so much Neha, I find that sage pairs well with butternut squash. I love the natural creaminess of this sauce.
December 20, 2022 at 1:41 am
I do not get butternut squash here but will try using the red pumpkin in place of squash. The taste may differ but will be a welcome change from red sauce and white sauce. Love the use of the veggies here I have all of them in my basket.
December 23, 2022 at 2:11 am
Thanks Archana, I recently made the same pasta using pumpkin and the taste was same. As such pumpkins/squash do not have their own taste.
December 22, 2022 at 12:27 am
I love these nutrition based kind of sauces for my pasta rather than oodles of white sauce or cheese. Interesting to read that squash is a fruit not a veggie 🙂 something new to learn everyday!
December 23, 2022 at 2:08 am
Thanks Kalyani, try it. It is for sure nutritious.
December 27, 2022 at 8:05 am
Butternut squash sauce in pasta makes it very unique as against the regular cheese based or tomato based sauces . I think orange pumpkins will be the closest substitute as we don’t get butternut squash so easily .
December 30, 2022 at 3:33 am
Priya, try with pumpkin as it tastes equally good.