Veggie Pasta Salad
EVENT: SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: MAIN COURSE SALADS
RECIPE: VEGGIE PASTA SALAD
Veggie Pasta Salad is a warm, healthy, filling and delicious salad that can be enjoyed as a meal on its own. Loaded with veggies, one can use any vegetables of their choice. Addition of your favourite dressing or just lemon juice makes this salad a medley of flavours.
What Is A Main Course Salad?
Generally, a main course salad is a hearty, filling salad and usually has a protein rich ingredient added to it. It can any meat or sea food. For vegetarian version one can add tofu, paneer, beans, cheese,etc. The salad is enjoyed as a main meal, either for lunch or dinner.
Bearing that in mind, I usually add paneer, tofu , beans or chickpeas to my Veggie Pasta Salad. Vegetables used usually depends on what I have at hand. I prefer to use vegetables which can be stir fried without going all soggy.
Some Main Course Salads That You May Like
I love salads and often that is what I like to have for lunch. Depending on the weather, the salad is either cold or warm. Mostly make cold whenever I am in Kenya or India. However, I am experiencing my first ever proper winter in Canada, yes with all the snow and chilly winds and slushy ice. Towards the end of Fall, temperatures dropped and for a week or so salads went out of the window.
I realized that we cannot go through the whole winter season without having salads. So more often than not, it tends to be warm comforting salads. And Veggie Pasta Salad is one of them.
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
Theme: Start The New Year Off Right With Main Course Salads
With a New Year just begun, aptly, Wendy Klik who blogs at A Day In The Life On The Farm suggested we start the year off right with Main Course Salads.
Health and Us
As we all approach the New Year majority of us make a promise to eat healthy, get some exercise and lose weight. 2022 is no different as far as I am concerned, as every year I promise to be healthier. Over time I may have not lost much weight but have been making a conscious effort to eat more wholesome healthier meals. Towards the last half of 2021 also got more steps in as hubby and I made a vow to walk daily. Salads and vegetable sides are very much a part of our daily diet.
Check Out Main Course Salads by Members of Sunday Funday
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Asian Chicken Ginger Salad.
- Sneha’s Recipe: Chicken Pasta Caesar Salad
- Palatable Pastime: Crispy Shell Chicken Taco Salad
- Karen’s Kitchen Stories: Italian Chopped Salad
- Amy’s Cooking Adventures: Oriental Chicken Salad
- Food Lust People Love: Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette Steak Salad
- Our Good Life: Spinach Salad with Creamy Hard Boiled Egg and Homemade Garlic Croutons
- Mayuri’s Jikoni: Veggie Pasta Salad
Ingredients Required For Veggie Pasta Salad
- Boiled Pasta – any of your choice. I sometimes like to use spaghetti.
- Onion – red, white or yellow, peeled and cut into chunks.
- Bell Pepper – any colour of your choice.
- Zucchini – also known as courgette. Or use any squash or your choice.
- Garlic – peeled and sliced. Use according to your taste.
- Beans – I usually use any beans that I have at hand. Sometimes I add chickpeas.
- Carrots – peeled and cut into slices. I have used rainbow carrot
- Tomatoes – usually I prefer to use baby tomatoes. Also known as cherry, plum or cocktail tomatoes.
- Fresh Herb – any of your choice. Use whatever you have at hand.
- Dried Mixed Herbs
- Salt – add according to your taste. I like to use Himalayan Pink Salt.
- Pepper – add according to your choice.
- Olives – sliced or whole. Any type.
- Olive Oil – to stir fry the vegetables
- Salad Dressing or Lemon Juice – I could not resist opening a Maple Vinaigrette bottle that I received as a gift.
- Chilli Flakes – optional
- Cheese – optional. I have used shredded cheddar cheese. Use any cheese of your choice like parmesan, feta, brie.
Watch How To Make Veggie Pasta Salad
VEGGIE PASTA SALAD
- 1 cup pasta uncooked
- ½ tsp salt for the pasta
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ bell pepper any colour
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large carrot
- 1 cup beans cooked
- ¼ cup olive slices
- 12 baby tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt for the salad
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp mixed herbs dried
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp salad dressing or lemon juice
- some cheese any of your choice.
BOIL THE PASTA:
- Bring to boil about 4 cups of water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the pasta and ½ tsp salt.
- Cook the pasta till it is al dente. Usually the cooking time is indicated on the packet.
- Drain out the pasta into a colander.
- Get the vegetables ready for the salad.
- Peel and cut the onion into chunks.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Peel and cut carrot into slices that are not too thick or thin.
- Cut the bell pepper into half. Remove the seeds. Cut into bite size chunks.
- Cut the tomatoes into halves.
- Trim the ends of the zucchini. Cut into slices that are not too thick or thin.
PREPARATION OF THE SALAD:
- Heat oil in a wide pan over medium to high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add carrots and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add zucchini and bell pepper. Add salt. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked beans, pasta, herbs, pepper powder, chilli flakes. Mix well.
- Allow the salad to get warm for 1 minute.
- Add salad dressing or lemon juice. Mix well. Add cheese and serve immediately.
- Add any vegetables of your choice like cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, baby corn, French beans, etc
- Use any fresh herbs of your choice. If you don't have any then use dried herbs.
- Don't over cook the vegetables. You want them to be crunchy and juicy.
- Add olives of your choice.
- I used cheddar cheese, you can use feta, parmesan, brie, etc.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagramor tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962