Pasta With Roasted Tomato Sauce
EVENT: SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: CHRISTMAS PASTA RECIPES
RECIPE: PASTA WITH ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
Pasta with Roasted Tomato Sauce is a versatile, easy to make and delicious recipe. The best part is that the roasted tomato sauce can be prepared well ahead. It stays in the fridge for a week and in the freezer for a month at least. Boil the pasta and keep it ready before the guests arrive. Just before the main meal, toss the pasta with ingredients of your choice, add the sauce and voilà a pasta dish for Christmas party is ready.
I remember for one Christmas cum hubby’s birthday party, I prepared homemade ravioli from scratch. Very time consuming. However, after the party had quite a bit of the pasta leftover. I was disappointed as I thought that friends and family didn’t like it. Later, they assured me that it was delicious but by the time we sat down for the main course, everyone was pretty full from the starters and drinks.
So now if I am planning pasta dish for the main course during Christmas, I keep it simple. I serve it with some salad and garlic bread. And it disappears in no time. Most years I host a party on Christmas mainly because that is my hubby’s birth date too.
Why Roast The Tomatoes For The Sauce?
Well, mainly because roasted tomatoes or for that matter any vegetable or fruit tends to taste much better. The natural sugars present in the vegetables and fruits tends to caramelize under the dry heat of the oven. This adds a depth of flavour.
Can I Add Other Roasted Vegetables For The Sauce?
Yes you can. I always tend to roast butternut squash, pumpkin, carrots, bell peppers whenever I want to use them for sauces and soups. For this particular recipe, I have roasted the tomatoes with onion, garlic and red bell pepper. Towards the end of the roasting time, I also add fresh herbs that are at hand.
Other Pasta Recipe Ideas For Christmas
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
Theme: Christmas Pasta Dish
This week’s interesting theme was suggested by Sue who blogs at Palatable Pastimes. When she suggested this theme, I immediately Googled Christmas Pasta. And surprisingly many people do prepare pasta during Christmas instead of the traditional turkey, ham, roasted pork, etc or to go along with it.Some pasta dishes are elaborate, like lasagna, ravioli or simple. Some are served as salad and some used for stuffing. As mentioned above, my pasta dishes are pretty simple especially when I have several starters planned out.
First Published on 31/01/2014.
Christmas Pasta Dishes Prepared By Members
- Christmas Penne Pasta from Making Miracles
- Creamy Basil Sauce Served With Spaghetti Pasta -Vegetarian from Sneha’s Recipe
- Creamy White Bean Mushroom Pasta from Food Lust People Love
- Shrimp and Crab Stuffed Shells from Palatable Pastime
- Spinach Ravioli with Pan Fried Scallops from Our Good Life
- Tenderloin Tips over Lemony Pappardelle from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Tortellini Soup with Sausage & Kale from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Pasta with Roasted Tomato Sauce from Mayuri’s Jikoni
Pasta With Roasted Tomato Sauce
My Roasted Tomato Sauce varies depending on the ingredients at hand. Sometimes I use only tomatoes with garlic, sometimes I add a carrot or two. Other times I add some bell pepper. If you don’t use other vegetables increase the number of tomatoes.
So what can you add with the pasta once the sauce is ready?
Again, the choice is yours. Add zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, corn, kale, broccoli, mixed vegetables, etc. Add meat of your choice.
Fresh Herbs or Dried?
Any of your choice. When I have access to fresh ones, I prefer those. However, I also tend to use dried ones too.
Ingredients Required For Pasta With Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Pasta – use any of your choice.
- Water – to boil the pasta.
- Salt – for the pasta and the sauce.
- Pepper Powder – for the sauce.
- Olive Oil – for the pasta and the sauce.
- Fresh Tomatoes – use any of your choice. I have mixed Roma and Beefsteak ones.
- Herbs – I have used fresh basil and thyme for the sauce. Used basil for the pasta.
- Bell Pepper – optional. Can use carrot, pumpkin, butternut squash instead. Or use only tomatoes.
- Onion – any, yellow, red or white, for the sauce.
- Garlic – for the sauce and pasta.
- Red Chilli Flakes – optional, for the pasta
- Mushrooms – I opted to use mushrooms. You can add any veggies, meat, etc of your choice. Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth. Chop into slices or chunks. If the mushrooms are very dirty give them a quick wash.
- Olives – optional. Add to the pasta.
- Cheese – either shredded cheddar or parmesan. Optional.
WATCH HOW TO PREPARE ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
PASTA WITH ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
- FOR THE PASTA:
- 2 cups pasta any shape
- 6 cups water
- 1½ tsp salt
- 200 g mushrooms
- ¼ cup olive slices
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- FOR THE ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE:
- 8-10 big tomatoes
- 1 big red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 8 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1 tsp coarse pepper powder
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- tsp sugar
- 1-2 sprigs of thyme
- 8-10 basil leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- parmesan or cheddar cheese
- PREPARATION OF ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the tomatoes into halves and place them on a roasting tray.
- Cut the stem off the pepper, remove the pith and seeds. Cut into chunks and add to the tomatoes.
- Peel and cut the onion into chunks and add to the tray.
- Add the peeled garlic.
- Drizzle olive oil over it and mix the vegetables.
- Sprinkle some salt pepper over the mixture.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 30 minutes. In between mix the veggies at least once.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Let the vegetables cool for a bit.
- Process them in a liquidizer or food processor.
- Can leave the sauce coarse or process to a smooth paste.
- Heat the sauce gently over medium heat when required.
- PREPARATION OF PASTA:
- Put the water in boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- When the water begins to boil add 1 tsp salt and pasta.
- Let the pasta boil for 8 to 10 minutes or as instructed on the packet. Stir the pasta frequently to avoid it from sticking to the bottom.
- Drain out the pasta in a colander.
- Heat olive oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add the sliced garlic and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped mushrooms.
- Stir fry the mushrooms for 1-2 minutes.
- Add remaining salt, olives and basil leaves.
- Mix well.
- Add the boiled pasta.
- Add Roasted Tomato Sauce and mix well.
- Allow the pasta to become hot.
- Serve immediately topped with some shredded cheddar cheese or parmesan.
- Add dry herbs if you don't get fresh ones.
- Choose nice ripe, red tomatoes for the sauce.
- If you find the sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water. However, you want the sauce to stick to the pasta and not run off it.
- Puree the sauce to a coarse or smooth consistency.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
November 10, 2014 at 9:35 pm
This sounds delicious – I think I'll give it a go
December 19, 2021 at 8:22 am
My family loves to make homemade ravioli so it’s a family affair with everyone pitching. It still takes a long time to make enough ravioli for everyone (which gets eaten in mere minutes!) but we enjoy the process and the time together.
I totally agree with roasting the tomatoes for more flavor, Mayuri! Your sauce looks rich and it’s such a beautiful color!
December 28, 2021 at 5:43 pm
Thank you so much Stacy. I’m going to try making ravioli as a family project. As my daughter in law says we can always start new traditions 🙂
December 19, 2021 at 7:05 pm
You are so right about the depth of flavor with roasted veggies. This sauce sounds perfect. Happy Birthday to your hubby.
December 28, 2021 at 5:42 pm
Thank you so much Wendy.
December 21, 2021 at 8:27 am
Roasted tomatoes have a distinct and delicious flavor in sauces . I am sure the pasta tasted flavorful with the addition of roasted tomato sauce.
December 28, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Thank you so much Priya, roasted tomatoes definitely taste so good.
December 22, 2021 at 5:47 am
Pasta with roasted tomato sauce sounds flavoursome. I must make this one for my children, they love pasta.
December 28, 2021 at 5:35 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree. Enjoy when you make the sauce.
December 22, 2021 at 5:22 pm
Roasted tomato sauce for pasta sound great. We are currently having a good crop of tomatoes and I am sure I can prep up these and make sure I have a supply going for a month.
December 28, 2021 at 5:34 pm
Thank you so much Seema, if tomatoes are in season right now then make a huge batch and freeze the sauce in required portions.Take out the required amount, thaw it and use for pasta.
December 24, 2021 at 9:42 pm
Pasta with roasted tomato sauce sounds incredible. Love this quick and delicious pasta. My boys will definitely love it. You are tempting me to make cool some pasta soon. Will try this recipe soon.
December 28, 2021 at 5:28 pm
Thank you so much Preethi. Hope your boys love the pasta dish. I love to make the pasta sauce at home.
December 29, 2021 at 2:19 am
I really love the idea of adding roasted tomato sauce instead of just tomato sauce. thank you for sharing the detailed recipe
December 30, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Thanks Amrita and you’re welcome. I don’t like using ready made sauces. Once you try the roasted tomato sauce, you will probably not make the sauce with raw blended tomatoes.
January 2, 2022 at 5:56 am
Hmm, this pasta with the delicious flavourful homemade roasted tomato sauce sounds yum. I think I will raid your fridge for some this way I get a ready sauce.
Belated birthday wishes to your hubby! I am sure you had a wonderful time.
January 3, 2022 at 9:46 pm
Thank you so much Archana,please come over to get your jar of sauce. We had a wonderful celebration.
January 3, 2022 at 11:07 pm
Delicious pasta. Roasted tomato and bell pepper sauce must have really given it a nice flavour. I will have to try this as it looks so delectable.
January 4, 2022 at 6:15 pm
Thank you so much Shobha. Enjoy the pasta when you try out the roasted tomato and bell pepper sauce.
January 11, 2022 at 4:08 am
this pasta with that roasted tomato – pepper sauce will be a hit with the kids. they love red pasta anyday compared to the white sauce.
January 11, 2022 at 7:29 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani. And if I’m not mistaken it is the right season to get nice plum tomatoes there.