108. minestrone soup
There’s nothing more comforting on a cold day like a bowl of some hearty wholesome soup. I love minestrone soup as it has everything in it, vegetables, pasta, beans, and cheese if you like. I usually use whatever vegetables are available in the market. Usually minestrone soup has celery, zucchini, carrot, beans, onion,tomato, basil, other herbs, pasta and some cheese. I like to use whatever is available in the market.Rainy season is a blessing as veggies are fresh and succulent. Add vegetables of your preference, this recipe is basically just a guideline. Wholesome soups make an excellent meal and I love to have it for dinner. Its a good way to get kids to have vegetables. Use fresh tomato puree and tomatoes. Tinned tomatoes tend to have citric acid which makes the soup too tangy. I prefer to chop the vegetables into slightly larger chunks, but you can dice them smaller if you prefer. Don’t over cook the vegetables. Getting a bit of bite with every spoonful makes the soup more palatable.
updated : 15/01/2016
4 to 6 servings depending whether you have it as a meal or as a starter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
½ cup chopped onion white or red
2-3 chopped garlic
1 cup diced zucchini
½ cup diced carrots
½ cup quartered mushrooms
½ cup cooked or tinned white or red beans
½ cup cauliflower florets
½ cup chopped celery stalk with a bit of leaves too
1 tbsp fresh chopped basil or 1 tsp dry basil
1 tsp dry oregano or 1 tbsp fresh oregano
4 tomatoes diced
1 cup tomato puree
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
½ cup pasta
2 cups stock or water
1 to 1½ tsp salt
1 tsp coarse pepper powder
4 to 6 tbsps grated cheese of your choice ( I use either cheddar or parmesan)
- Heat oil and butter together in a deep pan.
- Saute onion and garlic for a minute or so.
- Add zucchini, carrots, celery, basil and oregano.
- Stir the vegetables. Cover the pan and let the vegetables sweat for 2 to 3 minutes over low heat.
- Add the diced tomatoes, beans, cauliflower and mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Add tomato puree and stock or water. Add salt.
- When the soup begins to simmer, add the pasta. Mix.
- Let the soup simmer over low flame till the pasta gets done.
- Garnish with grated cheese and pepper and serve.
- Can cut the vegetables into chunks if you like.
- I added macaroni. Add any pasta of your choice. Try with bow pasta.
- Adjust the amount of salt required according to your taste. Be careful if you are using ready made stock. They can be salty sometimes.
- If you like add bell pepper.
- I love added fresh red beans which are readily available in Mombasa.
- You can omit cheese if you want.
|tomato carrot soup