695. Garlicky Broccoli Quinoa
MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON -SEPT 2017
#80TH BLOGGING MARATHON
THEME: PROTEIN RICH DISHES
Kenyans get affected by the elections whenever they come by every 5 years… more precisely in the past decade or so. People now have a voice and make their opinions known to the public. Kenya went through its elections in Aug and the ruling party Jubilee won. The opposition took the matter to the Supreme Court and it ruled in their favor and so re – election of the President will take place again on Oct 17th (a case of rigging votes). While I praise the judiciary system for being fair and just, I’m more concerned about how the economy comes to a sluggish pace during the election year.
During this morning’s East FM program, the RJs didn’t know whether to lament or feel joy as Kenyan are on the longest ‘holiday’ ever. Before the elections speculations of violence and disturbance made people travel to their homes and villages. This affected the business community and generally all the Kenyans.Once the elections were over everyone thought ‘Ok lets get down to some serious work’ and before that could be put into action the court ruling came. So again we are on a go slow till 17th October. Hardly a month or so will pass and everyone will be in the Independence Day, Christmas and New Year holiday mood. So that ends 2017.
Oct 17th means that this year no fireworks will be allowed during the Diwali days. Don’t know if we will be able to celebrate Diwali at a community level or will everyone just stay home and celebrate. It all depends on how the election process goes. I’m baffled that the so called 44th Tribe of Kenya that’s the Asians have not raised a voice of holding the election during the Diwali days. Or do we think that elections on auspicious day is the best. But for whom? Lets wait and watch.
My 12th Protein Rich Dish is again the super grain quinoa and broccoli. For the benefits of quinoa please check out my post on Nectarine and French Beans Quinoa Salad. The other protein rich ingredient is broccoli. Yes you heard that right. 1 cup of broccoli gives us 5.7g of protein. Besides being rich in protein its packed with Calcium,Vitamins K and C, zinc, selenium and beta carotene. My family and I enjoyed this protein rich dish as a light meal.
Protein sources in this recipe are quinoa, broccoli and cheese
By no means am I claiming or supporting any sort of fad diet that are the latest craze in the fitness world. I’m just trying to include non meat non fish dishes from which you can get your protein source.
GARLICKY BROCCOLI QUINOA
1 cup quinoa
1 large head(about 500g) broccoli
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tsp chilli paste
2 tbsp lime juice
½ cup chopped fresh coriander
½ cup chopped spring onion
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
½ tsp coarse pepper powder
- Put the quinoa in a sieve or strainer and wash it several times under running water.
- Put 1 cup water and quinoa in a pan over medium heat.
- Bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and cook till the quinoa is done.
- In the meantime prepare the broccoli. Cut it into small florets.
- Put the broccoli in a microwavable bowl. Add 1-2 tbsp of water. Cook the broccoli on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Alternately, bring a pan of water to boil. Add the broccoli florets. Let ti cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the boiling water. It should be cooked but not too soft.
- Let the broccoli cool down a bit.
- Put the broccoli in a food processor and pulse it into a coarse mixture.
- Heat oil in a wide pan.
- Saute the garlic and chili paste for a while.
- Add the broccoli and stir fry it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and mix. Let the mixture become hot, stirring it frequently.
- Add salt, pepper, spring onion, coriander , lime juice and parmesan cheese. Mix it very well.
- Serve immediately with extra lime wedges.
- Add other veggies like peas, corn, carrots etc if you like.
- Don’t over cook the broccoli and the quinoa.
- Can top it with a few slices of burnt garlic if you like.
Day 1 – Mixed Dal Paddu
Day 2 – Fruit and Nut Yogurt Parfait
Day 3 – Moong and Spinach Muthia
Day 4 – Paneer and Naan Bites
Day 5 – Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
Day 6 – Nectarine and French Bean Quinoa Salad
Day 7 – Tofu Wraps
Day 8 – Sai Bhaji
Day 9 – Veg Protein Burrito Bowl
Day 10 – Palak Pakodi Chaat
Day 11 – Phyllo Cheesecake Cups
Check out what other Mega Blogging Marathoners have made for Day 12: