healthy and nutritious
Upma is a south indian dish usually served as breakfast. Its made from semolina. Non south Indians serve upma anytime, be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack. I usually make it either for brunch, as a snack or as a light meal. I prefer to use the coarse semolina as the fine one makes it into one gooey mass. In south India special semolina is available for upma. Its coarse and light brown in colour. Most places serve upma with just a few vegetables that you can actually count or none at all. I prefer to add more vegetables and for a bit of sour taste I add sour yogurt. Very healthy and a satisfying dish.
1 cup coarse semolina (sooji, rava)
3 cups warm water
1 cup mixed boiled vegetables
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1 tbsp white urad dal (split skinless black gram lentils)
1 tbsp raisins
2 tbsps cashew nut pieces
10 curry leaves (kari patta, limbdi)
¼ cup oil
1″ cinnamon stick cut into smaller pieces
8 to 10 peppercorns
3 to 4 cloves
1 tbsp sesame seeds
½ cup sour thick yogurt
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp green chilli paste
1 tsp salt
2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander
- For mixed vegetables, you can take some peas, diced carrots, diced french beans, corn. Make up 1 cup, and boil in water with a bit of salt till done. Or steam them.
- In a wok or karai heat the oil over medium heat. When it is hot, add to it cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns. When they begin to sizzle, add mustard seeds, urad dal, sesame seeds.
- When the seeds begin to splutter, add the curry leaves,onion, ginger and chilli paste. Stir for a few seconds.Add the raisins and cashew nuts.
- Reduce the heat to low setting and add the semolina. Roast till it becomes light pink in colour. Make sure you keep on stirring otherwise the semolina in some parts may begin to burn. This usually takes about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the warm water. Be careful to add from the side of the pan, as a lot of steam will be created. Add a little water. Add the rest when the steam dies down.Add salt and vegetables. Stir the mixture well. Let it cook till all the water evaporates. Sir it occasionally so it does not stick to the wok.
- When its done, the semolina will leave the sides of the pan as you stir it. Add the yogurt,mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
- Can add boiled peanuts and roasted split chickpea lentils.
- Can add more vegetables of your choice.
- Reduce the amount of oil used. You may just have to roast the semolina for longer.
Sending this recipe for the following event: