Egg Free Carrot Muffins
EGG FREE CARROT MUFFINS
Egg free Carrot Muffins are so easy to make, soft and delicious with orange flavour. Addition of plain yogurt makes the muffins soft and spongy. No one will believe that these muffins are made without any eggs. Adding fresh orange juice and zest makes them even more tastier.
This recipe is pretty versatile where you can replace the flour, fat, flavour, liquid, spice and the raisins to make it into what your family loves. And these muffins are not overtly sweet. Adding the frosting is totally optional.
Happy Birthday my dear friend Daxa. I always try and bake a cake, cupcakes or muffins for my bestie’s birthday. She is not much into baking so my baked goodies are always make her happy. Usually, I stick to egg free bakes whenever I’m taking it to her place as her MIL does not consume eggs at all.
This year was no different. Decided to try out a bookmarked recipe of Egg Free Carrot Muffins. I followed the recipe to the dot and was disappointed that no liquid was mentioned in the recipe. The batter turned out too dry. Luckily, I’ve been baking for sometime now so knew that my batter needs a liquid. Had freshly squeezed orange and added that. Anyway, carrot and orange pair very well.
Over time, this modified recipe has become my favourite as I love carrot cakes. Also, it allows me to prepare half the quantity comfortably. And take it from me, these muffins taste awesome with cream cheese frosting.
Some Carrot Recipes On My Blog
Want To Try Out Some Egg Free Bakes? Check Out These Recipes
Try egg free coconut and passion fruit muffins, they are super delicious.
Ingredients Required For Egg Free Carrot Muffins
- Flour – I have used wheat flour, the one we use for roti. You can use all purpose flour if you want to.
- Carrot – peel and roughly chop the carrots. Put them in the food processor and process to a fine texture. You can grate the carrot if you want to. I prefer to process it as it adds a lovely colour to the muffins.
- Sugar – i have used white sugar. You can use brown sugar, coconut sugar or jaggery powder. They will however,change the colour of the muffins.
- Yogurt – Dahi. Use plain thick yogurt. If you use Greek Yogurt then you will need to add more liquid. If you are using homemade yogurt, you will need less liquid.
- Liquid – use fresh orange juice, milk or water.
- Oil – can also use melted butter. I have used sunflower oil. You can use any oil that does not have a strong flavour.
- Baking Agents – you need both baking powder and baking soda (soda bicarbonate).
- Salt – use normal salt or rock salt. I have used Himalayan Rock Salt.
- Orange Zest – optional. However, would recommend it. Adds flavour to the muffins.
- Cinnamon Powder – adds flavour.
- Raisins – can replace it with sultanas, chocolate chips, chopped nuts. You can use a combination of any of them. Sometimes I add both raisins and walnuts. If I bake these muffins for kids, they love it with chocolate chips.
FOR FROSTING : OPTIONAL
- Plain Cream Cheese
- Milk – or orange juice. To make the cream cheese a bit more softer.
- Sugar – use powdered sugar or icing sugar.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE EGG FREE CARROT MUFFINS
EGG FREE CARROT MUFFINS
FOR THE CARROT MUFFINS
- 1½ cups wheat flour
- 1 cup finely grated/processed carrot
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp soda bicarbonate
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup yogurt plain and thick
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 -1½ cup cream cheese
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
PREPARATION OF EGG FREE CARROT MUFFINS
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, soda bicarbonate, cinnamon powder and salt together.
- Add raisins to the flour. Mix well.
- Mix the oil, yogurt , orange juice and sugar together in a bowl.
- Whisk it well to emulsify the mixture.
- Pour it into the flour mixture.
- Add the processed carrot.
- Mix till the flour gets wet. Don't over mix.
- Prepare the muffin tray or molds by putting paper cups into it.
- Spoon the batter ¾ of the way into each cup.
- Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes till the tops are golden brown and the muffins are done.
- Cool the muffins completely before frosting them.
PREPARATION OF CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Whisk cream cheese, milk and sugar together till it becomes soft and creamy.
- Can use a piping bag and nozzle to create a nest like shape.
- I used a spoon, and made a small indentation.
- Add some chocolate eggs on top.
- Can use nuts, other dried fruits, chocolate chips instead of raisins.
- Top the muffins with sunflower seeds, chocolate sprinkle or oats before baking.
- Can enjoy these muffins without any frosting if you wish.
- If you are using a mixture of nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, make it up to ½ -¾ cup.
- I find ½ cup sugar just right, if you like sweeter muffins add ¾ cup.
- Can use all purpose flour if you want to.
- Use brown sugar, coconut sugar or jaggery powder instead of normal white sugar.
- Replace orange juice with water or milk. Tastes good with coconut milk added to it.
Pin For Later
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
February 23, 2016 at 3:05 am
Healthy and delicious muffins..
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy
February 23, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Birthdays should be always celebrated with delicious cakes like this!
February 23, 2016 at 9:02 pm
How lovely to have a friend that bakes for you – you are so kind
April 12, 2022 at 4:41 am
The cuppies are so cute. I will bake some this weekend for Easter. Sounds so fun
April 12, 2022 at 6:19 pm
Thanks Seema, fun, easy to make and the kids can help too.
April 12, 2022 at 7:51 am
Egg free carrot muffins are so moist and baked to perfection. I love egg free baked. Would love to try this recipe soon. I am sure my boy will love it .
April 12, 2022 at 6:16 pm
Thank you so much Preethi. Am sure the boys will enjoy it.
April 13, 2022 at 12:31 pm
Lovely carrot muffins, like the fact that they are egg free and i can make them. Children will be happy to have these kind of muffins.
April 13, 2022 at 4:45 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree, am glad that you like this recipe. Bake the muffins and enjoy them with your kids.
April 18, 2022 at 8:10 am
Love all the flavors and ingredients that have gone into these yummy muffins. I am bookmarking the recipe right away and I hope to try it soon as I have all the ingredients ready in my kitchen. The carrot must be adding a nice crunch and taste to the muffins
April 18, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Thanks Priya, please try the recipe out. The carrots don’t add a crunch as they get cooked while baking.
April 26, 2022 at 11:17 am
These egg free carrot muffins look absolutely delicious! What a smart idea to use yogurt to make them soft and moist. And citrus flavour always pairs really well with carrots.
April 26, 2022 at 9:28 pm
Thank you so much Maria. Yogurt is a very good replacement for eggs in bakes.