Eggless Cranberry Orange Muffins
RECIPE: EGGLESS CRANBERRY ORANGE MUFFINS
Eggless Cranberry Orange Muffins are soft, packed with delicious tangy cranberries and chocolate chips with fresh orange flavour. Easy to make and super moist, these muffins are ideal as a treat for Christmas Breakfast or for Tea time.
Baking Is Therapeutic
I thoroughly enjoy baking. I find its so relaxing and fun. If all the ingredients are at hand, then its pretty easy. Baked goodies make great presents for any occasion, a nice treat for picnics, a tea time snack and they can be stored for later use.
- Did you know that the step by step method that one has to follow for baking makes one mindful? Yes it does, as you need to be creative, coordinated and use reasoning.
- Baking helps you to focus on the task at hand, taking away stress.
- Repetitive method of kneading, mixing, decorating has a calming effect. When I get stressed out, I love to knead bread dough, as it allows me to vent out my frustration. If my mind gets restless, I bake muffins.
- Awakens the senses. Touch, smell, taste all have a relaxing effect on the mind.
Sharing This Recipe With FoodieMonday/ Bloghop Group
This week’s theme Baked was suggested by Waagmi, who blogs at Cooking Is Funn. I nearly skipped this theme as I just didn’t have time to bake. Have been busy with a wedding. Don’t get me wrong, weddings are fun. However, Bangalore traffic can be exhausting as we spend nearly an hour or more in the traffic to get to the venues. My daughter’s bestie is getting married.
Then I remembered that I had Eggless Cranberry Orange Muffin recipe in my draft which didn’t see the light of day during the Christmas Season. Though it is not Christmas Season, shared this recipe as I didn’t want to skip my favourite theme Baked.
Some Eggless Bakes You May Want To Check Out
Ingredients Required For Eggless Cranberry Orange Muffins
Flour – I have used all purpose flour (plain flour).
Cranberries – I was lucky to get fresh ones so used those. However, you can easily use dried cranberries. If you do so then ½ cup is enough. Fresh ones I use about 1 cup.
Add Ons – can be chopped nuts, raisins, sultanas, chocolate chips. I usually like to add almonds or chocolate chips.
Baking Agents – need both baking powder and baking soda (soda bicarbonate). Remember to scoop out the powders from the containers and level it out by running a knife over it. More baking agents will result in cracked tops.
Fresh Orange – both for the zest and juice. For the zest make sure you don’t grate the bitter white part of the orange. Need both for the batter and the glaze.
Plain Yogurt – use fresh thick plain yogurt. Don’t add the whey.
Oil or Butter – use either. If you use butter then you need to melt it gently.
Sugar – normal granulated sugar or cane sugar.
Salt – adding a bit of salt brings out the flavours and adds a balance to the overall taste.
Icing Sugar – confectioners’ sugar or powdered sugar for the glazing.
EGGLESS CRANBERRY ORANGE MUFFINS
FOR THE MUFFIN BATTER:
- 1½ cups all purpose flour plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda soda bicarbonate
- 1 tbsp orange zest rind
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup plain yogurt thick
- 4 tbsp oil/butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ tsp salt
FOR ORANGE GLAZE:
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp fresh orange juice
PREPARATION OF THE MUFFINS:
- Coat the cranberries with some flour.
- Line a muffin tray with cake cups.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl.
- Add orange zest, chocolate chips and mix well.
- Add yogurt, oil and sugar into another mixing bowl.
- Whisk till its a bit frothy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix gently just enough to coat the flour with the liquid.
- Add the cranberries and gently fold them in.
- Don't over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups.
- Bake them in the oven till the tops are golden brown and done. Insert a toothpick in the middle of the muffin. It should come out clean if the muffins are done.
- Big muffins take about 20-25 minutes and the medium ones take about 15-20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool on a wire rack.
PREPARATION OF ORANGE GLAZE:
- To make the glaze icing, add orange juice little by little to the icing sugar. The paste should be thick so that you can pour it over the muffins.
- Spoon the glaze over the muffins.
- You can choose to sprinkle some orange zest, sprinkles over the glaze.
- Enjoy eggless cranberry orange muffins with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Add nuts of your choice instead of chocolate chips.
- Add other berries instead of cranberries.
- If you want to use dried cranberries then you need to soak them in ¼ cup or fresh orange juice for at least 30 minutes. Use ½ cup dried cranberries.
- You can serve them without the glaze icing but I highly recommend the glaze.
- If the yogurt is watery, pour it into a muslin cloth and allow the excess water to drain out.
- You can bake this into a loaf. Use a tin 8"X4". Baking time will be about 35 - 45 minutes.
- I used large cake cups and got 8 muffins. Normal cake cups will yield 12 muffins.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
add a comment below,
send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962