Carrot & Apple Bread
Recipe: Carrot & Apple Bread
Carrot & Apple Bread is a quick bread full of raisins, nuts and seeds. Using wheat flour, jaggery powder or brown sugar this nutritious bread is enjoyed both as breakfast or dessert. We enjoyed it as a dessert with some hot custard poured over it. Though this bread can be quite dense because of all the added ingredients, trust me it is so moist and soft too. Put a slice in your or your kid’s lunch box. Take it for picnics.
Sharing This Recipe With Sunday Funday
Sunday Funday is a really fun group. Each week members come up with different themes and we make a dish accordingly. This week Wendy suggested we share any recipe where we’ve used raisins. April 30th is National Raisin Day. Some hate them and some love them. I find they make a great snack option. My grand daughters love them. Whenever we’re on video call with them, they say “Ba we’re having raisins sec.”
This recipe was first posted on 09/03/2014. Republishing it with better photos and a video.
What Is Raisin?
Raisin is a dried grape. Yup, that what it is. The grapes are dried in the sun or by mechanical process. Raisins are naturally sweet and versatile. Consumed on their own, added to sweet or savoury dishes. Most Indian Sweets have raisins added to them. Mostly, Thompson variety of grapes are used but it all varies country to country. Basically the green variety is used. As the grape dries it becomes darker.
What Are Sultanas?
They too are raisins. They are coated in an oil solution before drying. This speeds up the drying process resulting in lighter coloured raisins.
Are Currants And Raisins The Same?
Not at all though most people interchange the names. Currants grow on bushes and are more like gooseberries. They are black, red or almost white. Dried black corinth or carina grapes are known Zante Currants.
Check Out How Members Of Sunday Funday Used Raisins
- Puerto Rican Papas Rellenas (Picadillo-Stuffed Potatoes) from Culinary Cam
- Rich Fruit Cake from Sneha’s Recipe
- Double Cut Pork Chops with Apples and Raisin from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Ember Avocado Toast from Palatable Pastime
- High Protein Oatmeal Raisin Baked Oatmeal from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Carrot & Apple Bread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
Here Are Some Recipes Where I Have Used Raisins
Watch How To Make Carrot & Apple Bread
CARROT & APPLE BREAD
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup grated carrot packed down
- 1 cup green apple peeled and grated
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup mixed seeds flax,pumpkin, sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup oats
- ½ cup brown sugar/jaggery powder
- 1 tsp baking soda/ soda bicarbonate
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1-2 tbsp oats for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and dust a loaf tin 9" X 5".
- Peel and chop the apple into tiny pieces.
- Peel and grated the carrots.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add oats, chopped nuts, seeds and raisins. Mix well.
- In another bowl whisk egg, jaggery powder, oil and buttermilk.
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture. Fold gently till the flour becomes wet. Don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till a knife, fork or tooth pick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove the tin from the oven. Leave the bread in the tin for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the tin and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Serve on its own or with some hot custard, whipped cream or whipped cream cheese.
- Greasing and dusting means you rub butter all over the inside of the tin and add about a tablespoon of flour. Move the tin about so that it gets coated with the flour. Tap the tin upside down over the sink so that the excess flour comes out. This helps cakes, bread to come off the tin easily.
- Add nuts of your choice. I added walnuts.
- When you measure the grated carrots, press them gently into the cup.
- Add seeds of your choice. I have used a mixture of flax, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Best to roast them gently in the microwave oven for 30-45 seconds.
- Also roast the walnuts before chopping them. Can use pecans instead.
- I have used jaggery powder for this bread. You can replace it with brown sugar or refined sugar.
- If you don't get buttermilk then mix plain yogurt with little water to make it up to half cup.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
add a comment below,
send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
March 9, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Delicious healthy bread
March 9, 2014 at 8:02 pm
This bread looks delicious and perfect with coffee for afternoon tea.
March 10, 2014 at 3:59 am
Looking Yummy .Thank You for sharing such a nice recipe . Must give a try
March 10, 2014 at 11:30 am
Nutty bread in any climate is so bang on for me:)
Moist and soft bread..>Well done my friend…
Are you not online..Will love to chat with u sometime:)
March 12, 2014 at 6:13 pm
delicious healthy bread, love the flavors.
March 13, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Yummy and delicious bread …….. Interesting recipe!! Visit my space also dear!
May 1, 2014 at 8:12 am
Looks so tempting:)
April 30, 2023 at 6:22 am
Oh my gosh. I love how chunky this bread looks and you can see how moist and delicious it is.
April 30, 2023 at 2:29 pm
Thank you so much.
May 6, 2023 at 12:17 pm
Love this healthy bread!
May 6, 2023 at 3:03 pm
May 15, 2023 at 5:54 pm
That apple adds so much sweetness to the overall recipe, I love the flavours of them together in this apple carrot nut bread.
May 15, 2023 at 9:43 pm
May 16, 2023 at 11:39 am
Wow! I love this carrot and apple nut bread! It will make an awesome breakfast for us. The apple will make the bread so yum.
May 16, 2023 at 2:06 pm
Thanks Archana, the apple adds flavour and also makes the bread moist.
Spice Zone (Sarika)
May 16, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Wow Mayuri this Carrot and Apple bread looks so amazing with the goodness of jaggery, nuts, oats and wheat flour. Would love to try soon.
May 17, 2023 at 8:25 pm
Thank you so much. Am sure you wouldn’t regret it if you try the recipe.
May 17, 2023 at 8:37 am
Apple and carrot bread looks super moist and chunky with all the dryfruits going in . I love the texture of the bread .perfect for evening coffee
May 17, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Thanks Priya, that is what we did with our friends, enjoyed it with some coffee.
May 17, 2023 at 11:43 am
this apple and carrot tea cake (as I would call it perhaps) is a perfect tea time snack for me. love the use of raisins in this bake, Mayuri
May 17, 2023 at 8:23 pm
Thank you Kalyani, it is delicious, give it a try.