Carrot Orange Salad
EVENT: FOODIES_REDOING OLD POSTS
RECIPE: CARROT ORANGE SALAD
Carrot Orange Salad is a super tasty salad bursting with flavours. With a homemade salad dressing, it sure is a refreshing salad.
I love the combination of carrot and orange in muffins and smoothies. So why would a salad with those two ingredients be any different? What I love about salads is that there is no restriction to the ingredients one can add. Make a combination that you love.
Serve this salad as a light meal, as a side dish, for parties, take it along for picnics, etc.
Make Salads Appealing
Make Salads appealing to both adults and kids:
- Add their favourite ingredient like a fruit, seeds,herbs, nuts.
- Make it colourful, must be visually attractive.
- Must be fresh. All your ingredients should be fresh. Limp veggies and fruits are a put off.
- Use a good quality dressing or make it at home.
- Add meat, cheese, beans, grains to make it filling.
- If the vegetables have to be cooked, try a different cooking method other than steaming or boiling. Roasting vegetables adds so much flavour.
- Adding a note of sweetness makes any salad appealing.. use dried fruits, honey, maple syrup, etc.
- Don’t over dress a salad.
A vinaigrette is a mixture of an acidic ingredient with oil. Salad Dressings on the other hand are more like sauces. But, vinaigrette is still a type of dressing. Confusing right! It is like we have rice and then there is black rice. Rice is a family, black rice a type of rice. Same goes with vinaigrette.
A classic vinaigrette is oil, and acidic ingredient, salt and pepper. Sometimes a sweetener is added. Did you know that for any vinaigrette usually the ratio is 3:1. Three parts oil to one part an acidic ingredient like vinegar, lemon or lime juice.
With vinaigrette it is so easy to make a variety other than the classic one. Add herbs, juices, alcohol, spices and you get a different tasting vinaigrette.
To go with my carrot orange salad, I make an Orange Vinaigrette at home, using fresh orange juice.
CHECK OUT SOME MORE SALAD RECIPES
THE GROUP – FOODIES_REDOING OLD POSTS
The Group Foodies_Redoing Old Posts, started by Renu helps the members to make an effort to update old posts. This is the 59TH redoing old posts event. This group helps me to stay focused and update old posts not only with better photos but also trying to make each post more SEO friendly. Some of them I’m also trying to add videos. Check out my You Tube Channel MAYURI’S JIKONI
The first time I made Carrot Orange Salad was for an evening meal. At that time I didn’t understand much about natural light for photography, and took the photo and posted it on the blog! On hindsight it was an unappealing photo. So it was time to upgrade them.
First Published on 23/03/2013. Updated on 17/09/2021
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED FOR CARROT ORANGE SALAD
- Carrot – peel and slice it or chop it.
- Orange – peel and cut into bite size pieces. Also need one for the juice.
- Orange Peel – grate it or cut into extra thin strips. For the salad dressing.
- Cucumber – if the peel of the cucumber is tender, then you don’t need to peel the cucumber. Cut into slices, or dice it.
- Red Radish – cut into slices or dice them.
- Red Onion – small one, sliced thinly or chopped finely.
- Lettuce Leaves – a few any of your choice.
- Fresh Mint – or add any fresh herb of your choice. Dill, coriander goes well with the salad.
- Olive Oil – for the salad dressing.
- Vinegar or Lemon Juice – for the salad dressing. If you are using vinegar, use good quality vinegar.
- Maple Syrup/Honey – or use a sweetener of your choice like sugar or jaggery.
- Fennel Seeds – lightly roast them in a wide pan over low heat.
- Sesame Seeds – lightly roast them in a wide pan over low heat.
- Walnuts – or any nuts of your choice.
- Raisins – or sultanas, cranberries, etc. Any dry fruit of your choice.
- Salt – for the salad dressing.
- Pepper – for the salad dressing.
CARROT ORANGE SALAD
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced
- 2 large oranges peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber sliced
- 6 pieces red radish thinly sliced
- 1 cup salad leaves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds lightly roasted
- 1 tsp sesame seeds lightly roasted
- 1 tsp thinly cut orange peel
- 10 walnuts cut into pieces
- 10 raisins
Makes ¼ Cup
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup/honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse pepper powder
- 1 tsp orange peel cut into very thin strips or grated
- Peel the oranges. Save a small strip of the peel to cut into thin strips to add to the salad.
- Remove the white part of the orange and seeds and cut into segments.
- Mix the orange, carrot, onion and lettuce in a big bowl. Keep it in the fridge till required.
- Roast the sesame and fennel seeds lightly. When it cools down add to the salad.
- Mix all the ingredients of the dressing very well and pour over the salad just before serving.
- I usually put all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar and give it a good shake.
- Can lightly crush the fennel seeds if you like.
- Grate the orange peel instead of cutting into strips.
- For a nice crunchy salad, leave the lettuce leaves in ice cold water for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the water and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962