Onion and Carrot Ragi Bhakri

September 18, 2018mayurisjikoni

EVENT: MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON#92

THEME: A-Z  FLATBREADS AND MORE – INDIAN FLATBREADS

What is Mega Blogging Marathon?

Well, its a group of bloggers who get together to post a dish for 26 days according to the chosen theme. For more details check out the initiator Srivalli’s page here. For this theme we had a choice of 3:

1. A-Z Indian Flatbreads that are not made using batter e.g. like rotis

2. A-Z Indian Flatbreads using batters e.g. dosa

3. A-Z International Flatbreads.

I decided to opt for option number 1. India has such a huge variety of flatbreads to offer that are made on the stove top, in the tandoor, in the oven, under the grill or fried. Its going to be a challenge to look for flatbreads beginning with all the letters of the alphabet as for this group cannot use batter based flatbreads. However, am up for this challenge.

Day 15 takes us to the letter O. The only flatbread that I could think of with O was Obbatu. I’ve already got a puran poli or ghari rotli as we call it on the blog. Obbatu is the Kannada name for puran poli.

My letter R flatbread was one of the first ones I’d got ready. Then I came across the recipe for ragi bhakri. Its a popular breakfast flatbread in Karnataka and Maharashtra or it can also be served with sambhar or your favorite curry. As I was trying to use different flours whenever possible, I wanted to make it so badly but my post for R was ready. That’s when it struck me that I can make ragi bhakri but call it an onion ragi bahkri. So here’s O for Onion and Carrot Ragi Bhakri.

I love making flatbreads with gluten free flours especially as they make a light and friendly on the tummy dinner option. Hubby at first screwed up his nose when I told him that we’re having a gluten free flatbread for dinner. He nearly went on a revolt but quickly changed his mind because as soon I opened the container with the bhakris the aroma of curry leaves and onions slowly made its way to his nose.

So one more flatbread approved by hubby and he has asked me to make it again. However, that will have to wait until we come back from India or unless I can make it in my sister in law’s kitchen without the onions. Perhaps add grated radish???

This flatbread was easy for me to make as it uses the same technique of patting it as I do for methi na dhebra. So out came my famous ladies’ handkerchief. Read on to find out why. I will not go into the benefits of including ragi in your diet as I already mentioned that in my previous posts and you can easily find the info on the internet. However, its a gluten free flatbread.

Onion and Carrot Ragi Bhakri 3

Onion and Carrot Ragi Bhakri 1

Onion and Carrot Ragi Bhakri 4

Onion and Carrot Ragi Bhakri 2

Onion and Carrot Ragi Bhakri 5

ONION AND CARROT RAGI BHAKRI

Makes 4-5

1 cup ragi flour (finger millet)

1 tbsp rice flour

¾ cup hot water

1 tsp oil

1 small onion finely chopped (about ½ cup)

¼ cup grated carrot

2-3 tbsp chopped fresh fenugreek (or coriander)

2-3 green chilis finely chopped

6-8 finely chopped curry leaves

½ tsp salt

½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)

extra oil for frying

1. Boil water in a pan. Add oil to it.
  2. Mix flours, salt, cumin seeds together.
  3. Add chopped onion, fenugreek, chilis and grated carrot. Mix well.
  4. Add the hot water and using a spoon mix the flour.
  5. Cover and let it cool down a bit till you’re able to touch it without getting burnt..
  6. Knead it into a soft dough, more softer than a normal roti dough.
  7. Heat a tawa or frying pan over medium heat.
  8. Wet the handkerchief.
  9. Lay it out flat on a work board or top.
  10. Divide the dough into 4-5 parts.
  11. Take one part of the dough and roll it into a ball.
  12. Put it on the wet handkerchief.
  13. Put it using your wet fingers into a circle of about 5-6 inches in diameter.
  14. Smear the tawa or frying pan with very little oil.
  15. Holding the handkerchief at the two upper corners, lift it and flip it over in the pan.
  16. Peel off the handkerchief.
  17. Let the roti cook for 2 minutes.
  18. Using a kitchen towel, dip it in water and dab the top part of the flatbread with some water.
  19. Flip it over. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
  20. Smear little oil, about ½ tsp, flip it and cook till brownish red spots appear.
  21. Smear little oil on the upper side of the roti and flip it over.
  22. Cook till spots appear.
  23. Put the cooked bahkri on a wire rack.
  24. Repeat steps 8 to 23 with the remaining dough.
  25. Serve hot roti with some chutney, pickle and yogurt.

Tips:

• You can use any clean cotton cloth instead of a handkerchief or use a piece of aluminum foil.
  • Make sure the onion is finely chopped.
  • Even when cold this flatbread tastes really good.
  • Serve it with your favorite dal, sambhar, rasam or curry.

A little request:

If you do try this recipe then please either

• add a comment below,
  • send a picture to my email mayuri.ajay.patel62@gmail.com
  •  tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
  • or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962

You may want to check out what flatbreads I’ve made so far for this event:

A for Akki Roti

K for Kulcha

L for Luchi

M for Makki Roti

N for Nagori Puri

Check out what other Blogging Marathoners have made:

Loading InLinkz ...

Sending this recipe to the following event:

BMLogo

24 Comments

• Sowmya:)

September 18, 2018 at 8:15 pm

That happens a lot at home too…my family refuses to eat a dish when they hear the name. But when the aroma reaches them and they see it, they are suddenly hungry! This bhakri looks so droolworthy…so flavorful and aromatic! Fabulous choice!!

September 18, 2018 at 11:47 pm

Tell me about family! Thanks Sowmya.

• Priya Suresh

September 19, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Onion and carrot ragi bhakris looks absolutely nutritious and prefect to finish for a breakfast or dinner. Even my better half is as much as like yours. However whenever i try a new dish he is one who never failed to enjoy.

September 19, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Priya,hubsbands are a strange lot. When I don’t make something new for a couple of days I’m asked if I’m not feeling well!

• gayathriraani

September 22, 2018 at 2:12 pm

This is one of our fav flatbreads. But I pat it directly on the tawa, so it would be so rustic. But your version of shaping it on the hanky gives perfect rotis. The addition of onions and carrots adds a great flavour.

October 4, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Thanks Gayathri..my hands can’t stand too much heat so the solution was to pat it on the hanky like I do for my bajri dhebras.

• harini

September 23, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Wow! that is such an aromatic and healthy roti to make. I shall try this variation sometime. Fantastic choice for the letter.

October 4, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Thank you Harini..it definitely is a healthy roti with added veggies.

• Srivalli Jetti

October 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm

This is a fantastic pick mayuri..these are popular in andhra as well and we regularly make it, except carrot is not added. This surely makes a wonderful meal. Very nicely made.

October 8, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Thanks Srivalli, hoping to experiment this bhakri with other veggies.

• Renu Agrawal Dongre

October 9, 2018 at 11:05 am

Onion and carrot in ragi flour will make the paratha more inviting. Love the way you have patted it on a kerchief else it becomes so difficult to handle this. Yum.

October 10, 2018 at 12:34 am

Thanks Renu and the hanky trick works well.

• Simply Tadka

October 16, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Onion roti is great choice with O… perfect recipe for BM

October 16, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Thank you so much Preeti.

• Padmajha PJ

October 16, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Onion and carrot in the dough would have added so much flavor to the bhakri. Most of the times,I never tell my folks what I am cooking / what a dish is made of. They happily polish it off and only then I tell them.Even then they find it hard to accept that it has one or more ingredients that they dont like!!

October 16, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Haahaa..family. What we have to do to make them eat ingredients they don’t like.

• vaishalisabnani

October 18, 2018 at 3:48 am

The ragi baakhri looks stunning ! I am loving the contrast Color of carrot in these baakhris . A very rustic , flavourful pick for the alphabet . Onions naturally would have added a excellent crunch , besides flavor . Loved this ragi baakhri .

October 18, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Thank you so much, carrot not only makes it look pretty but it makes it filling too.

• Annapurnaz

October 18, 2018 at 12:11 pm

With the addition of carrots and onion, not only this ragi bhakri has become healthier but tastier too. The way you had used your ragi bhakri with letter O, the same way I water to make khoba roti and has to include it in R as Rajasthani khoba roti. we have to do this type of menupulations, Isn’t it ?

October 18, 2018 at 7:39 pm

So true, Ritu, some letters are difficult and didn’t want to prepare obbatu as its the same as puran poli.

• Sandhya Ramakrishnan

October 19, 2018 at 5:58 pm

Thanks to our supportive husbands that we are able to do so much for the blogging. I love this paratha and this is a great recipe to use ragi flour. The carrots and the onions are a great addition to give it a layer of flavor.

October 19, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Thank you so much Sandhya and yes without their support we would not be able to blog.

• code2cook

October 21, 2018 at 1:10 am

onion and carrot bhakhri looks very inviting. My son enjoyed eating ragi roti with cheese but I never tried making this way. next time will add veggies perfect breakfast or kids tiffin box recipe.

October 21, 2018 at 10:51 pm

Thanks Bhawana and adding cheese is a good idea.

your comments are valuable to me

Previous Post Next Post