Strawberry Finger Millet Smoothie
EVENT:BLOGGING MARATHON #88
THEME: KID’S DELIGHT – HEALTHY DRINKS – WEEK 3 DAY 1
For the next 3 days I will be preparing healthy drinks for kids. Yes, I know I don’t have kids at home, mine are all grown up. Usually its this fact that prevents me from taking part in the monthly Kid’s Delight theme that is organized by Srivalli.
However, for the month of May, I participated in this event. The good part is that fellow members who host this event can decide on the theme. I will be hosting the kid’s delight healthy drinks from 16th May to 16th June.
There is a specific reason why I chose healthy drinks. When we have so many options of serving healthy home made drinks be it for breakfast, lunch,dinner or in between meals, I’m really disappointed how many mums find it easier to buy ready made juices, flavored milks and the latest craze smoothies for their kids. The main ingredient in all these drinks is sugar, which is so bad for the kids. Its causing early diabetes and obesity in our young kids. Kids suffer from allergies, coughs and sometimes even asthma because of all the additives and colors that are added to the drinks. How come home made pomegranate juice is never bright red in colour but ready made ones are.I’m really hoping that mums change their outlook towards all these harmful ingredients that are packed in small packets.
For the next 3 days I will be preparing healthy smoothies which you can serve your kids without any guilt as no artificial colors, refined sugar and additives are added.
Today’s recipe is a healthy strawberry finger millet smoothie. Finger millet is ragi, nachni, wimbi. Its a tummy filler and a great way to serve breakfast to your fussy kids who hate to eat anything in the morning. My neighbour’s kid hates to eat anything before he goes to school but loves to drink flavored milk. So I suggested to the mum to prepare this for him and he went to school with a full tummy. Its a great ‘pick me up’ sort of smoothies when kids are recovering from an illness. I cooked the ragi at night in some water, left it in the fridge and next morning it was so easy to whip up the smoothie.
Why your kid should have ragi/nachni/finger millet/wimbi:
- Its rich in calcium
- Low glycemic index means that your child will fill full for a longer period of time
- Its an excellent source iron, there helps to fight anemia
- It has tryphophan which acts as a relaxant. Good for hyperactive kids.
- A good source of protein
- Its high in dietary fiber which helps to prevent constipation
Why your kid should not have refined sugar:
- Causes tooth decay
- Its has no nutritional value but adds calories
- Its not good for the liver
- high consumption can lead to diabetes
- sugar can be additive
- sugar causes obesity
For busy mums as I mentioned above, prepare the millet flour at night and store it in the fridge. Next day whizz everything together. Its a healthy smoothie for adults too.
STRAWBERRY FINGER MILLET SMOOTHIE
2-3 tbsp finger millet flour (ragi, nachni, wimbi)
½ cup water
1 cup hulled and chopped strawberries
1-2 tbsp honey (depends on how sweet the strawberries are)
½ tsp cardamom powder (optional)
1 cup fresh milk
- Mix millet flour and about 3-4 tbsp of water in a pan to make a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining water and mix well.
- Put the pan over low heat. Stir all the time till the mixture becomes thick.
- Let it cool a bit and store in the fridge or use it right away.
- Add the cooked millet, strawberries, cardamon powder and milk into a blender.
- Blend to a smooth consistency.
- Add a fruit of your choice.
- Add jaggery or maple syrup instead of honey if you wish.
- Add flavoring of your choice like vanilla extract, cinnamon powder etc.
You may want to check out other strawberry recipes:
Sending this recipe to the following event:
Add your Kid’s Delight Healthy Drinks here. Before you do so please add the above logo and link back to your post. Thank you.