Avocado & Mango Salad
RECIPE: AVOCADO & MANGO SALAD
Avocado & Mango Salad is one of the easiest salad to make. Tasty, filling and a perfect light meal during summer or hot days. This salad keeps you full for several hours. Adding homemade fresh orange dressing makes it more exotic.
Starting from November, the weather becomes really hot in Mombasa. By March, April it just becomes too hot and humid. Those are the days when I just want to make quick salads and get out of the kitchen. Usually, try to make salads that are tummy fillers as hubby and I have them as light lunch or dinner.
What To Add To Salads To Make Them More Filling?
The obvious choice is protein like meat, chicken or fish. However, what can you add if you are a vegetarian?
Besides the above mentioned you can add the following:
- Eggs – preferably boiled and peeled.
- Quinoa – a plant based protein rich ingredient. It is healthy and filling too.
- Chickpeas – preferably boiled. Another plant based protein rich legume.
- Beans – cooked, any of your choice.
- Lentils – cooked
- Cheese – be it feta, cheddar, gouda,mozzarella, paneer, cottage cheese,etc.
- Tofu – another plant based protein rich ingredient.
- Couscous – makes a salad more filling.
- Add some Fat – besides the oil in dressing, add nuts, avocado, seeds. A bit of fat also helps to keep you full.
- Use other grains, like cooked rice, barley, millet, farro, pasta, bulgur wheat, etc.
- Add bread – croutons, toasted bread pieces.
- Add dried fruits – cranberries, apricot, figs, dates, raisins, etc.
Some More Salads You Have Enjoy As A Light Meal
Love this Mediterranean Pearl Couscous Salad, so filling and tasty.
Avocado & Mango Salad
I keep this salad a bit simple as both avocado and mango are tummy fillers. Occasionally, I add some seeds or nuts. All depends. Whenever I make the salad, there always is a slight variation. As for the dressing, I prefer homemade one. Sometimes I will drizzle just balsamic vinegar, add salt and pepper.
Memories – Facebook
Everyday I have the radio on while I am working in the kitchen or when I am exercising. East FM Kenya is one of my best radio stations. The Hindi songs vary from the modern to purana geet. What makes the radio station enjoyable is not just the selection of the songs but also the radio jockeys or hosts. While getting breakfast ready, Seema and Aleem the morning hosts, were discussing about Facebook. They have a knack of picking very interesting topics for discussions. I love listening to them banter away.
So today’s discussion was what people use the Facebook for. While some love advertising what they are doing every minute others love to bombard people with all sorts of quotes and advises. Many, young and old use Facebook to post selfies as they want people to appreciate their style, beauty, etc. Others use it purely to advertise their business and some use it to show off their hobbies.
The worst are the attention seekers, as they land up posting the most absurd things. Whatever one uses Facebook they should follow some etiquette and know when they are crossing their limits. Many may argue that I can put up whatever I want on my timeline. But that is not the case as one has to be aware that it might offend or hurt the readers. Every form of communication is good within its limit.
Ingredients Required For Avocado & Mango Salad
- Avocado – choose a ripe but firm avocado. Taste the avocado before adding to the salad as sometimes they can be bitter. Peel and cut into chunks or slices.
- Mango – ripe but firm. Use any mango of your choice. I like to use apple mango. Peel and cut into chunks.
- Onion – for this salad I like to use red onion. You can choose to any, white, yellow.
- Salad Greens – any salad leaves of your choice. Spinach, lettuce, arugula, mixed salad leaves, etc
- Lemon Juice – to drizzle over the avocado so that it does not discolour.
- Fresh Orange Juice – if you are going to make the salad dressing at home.
- Vinegar – white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, etc. Use a good quality vinegar for the salad dressing.
- Salt – add according to your taste.
- Black Pepper – coarsely ground or fine ground.
- Orange Zest – optional. Add some for a different taste.
MANGO AVOCADO SALAD
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 large avocado or 2 small ones
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large mango ripe but firm
- 2 cups salad leaves
- 1 small onion peeled and sliced
- handful fresh mint leaves
FOR ORANGE SALAD DRESSING:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or any other good vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse pepper powder
- ½ tsp orange zest
PREPARATION OF THE ORANGE DRESSING:
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- Or add them in a jar, close the lid tightly.
- Give the jar a good shake.
PREPARATION OF THE SALAD:
- Peel and cut the avocado into chunks. Drizzle with lemon juice and toss lightly.
- Peel and cut the mango into chunks.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Add the sliced onion, avocado, mango, mint and salad leaves in a bowl.
- Toss lightly.
- Add the orange salad dressing and serve.
- Use any salad leaves of your choice.
- Add a dressing of your choice.
- Always add lemon juice to cut avocado to prevent it from turning black.
- Allow it to chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. Tastes really refreshing during summer.
- Add nuts, seeds or your choice.
- Replace fresh mint with other herbs.
PIN FOR LATER:
A little request:
- If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
April 17, 2015 at 6:37 pm
Mango and avocado, both are my favourite.. so I will surely make this salad.
April 17, 2015 at 8:48 pm
What a lovely and colourful salad. with regard to face book, some people post status for attention seeking that annoys me and I never encourage them by commenting or liking the status.
April 18, 2015 at 2:40 am
A yummy combo!!!
April 18, 2015 at 10:05 am
Nice combo! Worth a try. Thanks for sharing.
April 19, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Thanks Shobha, my favourite fruits too.
April 23, 2022 at 4:12 am
This is a lovely salad, I have not had with this combination. Would love to make it soon for myyself.
April 24, 2022 at 5:21 pm
Thanks Jayashree.Try it, it is so delicious and filling too.
April 23, 2022 at 7:12 am
colourful, summery and light – what more could we ask for – avo + mango salad looks fab!
April 24, 2022 at 5:20 pm
Seema Doraiswamy Sriram
April 25, 2022 at 12:43 am
The combination of Mango and avocado with the crunch from the greens will just be that perfect plate of salad. I don’t have mangoes but had a small taste with a bit of frozen mangoes. That was bomb!! Cant wait to get a lot of mangoes and make these.
April 26, 2022 at 9:36 pm
Thanks Seema, enjoy a bigger portion of this salad when you get more mangoes.
April 26, 2022 at 8:26 am
Mango Avocado salad is a perfect Meal in summers. It is so light and easy to whip up. Salad looks Delish.
April 26, 2022 at 9:32 pm
Thanks Preethi, yes, agree with you the salad is very easy to make.
April 26, 2022 at 9:04 am
Colorful and refreshing salad
Sounds so perfect for the summer when we want to eat light …amazing choice of ingredients and with mango who can ever say No
April 26, 2022 at 9:32 pm
Thanks Priya, I love both so combined them to make a filling and healthy salad.
hem lata srivastava
April 28, 2022 at 1:59 pm
Your Salad looks so refreshing ..! Although I am not a mango lover but your recipe sounds so delicious and easy to make that i would love to have a bite.
April 28, 2022 at 7:19 pm
Thank you so much Hem Lata. Am sure your family would love the salad.
May 4, 2022 at 1:20 pm
This was such a delicious and fruity salad with mango and avocado. My whole family loved it. Thanks for the easy recipe.
May 6, 2022 at 4:19 pm
Thanks Pavani, am so glad your family enjoyed it.
May 9, 2022 at 6:32 am
I have a ready avocado waiting to be used. I am definitely making this one. I am sure it tastes as creamy and yummy as it looks.
May 9, 2022 at 11:59 am
Thanks Avin, it is creamy and am sure you’ll enjoy the salad.