Stuffed Zucchini Boats
EVENT: FOODIES_REDOING OLD POSTS
RECIPE: STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
Stuffed Zucchini Boats are so deliciously cheesy with 3 different kinds of cheese used along with pasta and pesto. Serve them with some soup, salad or as a side dish.
What Are Stuffed Zucchini Boats?
Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a fun way to enjoy zucchini. These ones so deliciously cheesy with three different cheeses used along with pasta.Serve as a light meal with some soup or salad or as a side dish.
We all know that we have to eat healthy but time and again we get tempted by all the unhealthy foods, fried ones, sweet ones, cheesy ones. I try and make our dinners light and healthy. But of course that’s not the case everyday. The days we have soups, salads, my hubby feels hungry again by 10 p.m. However, our quest to eat healthier continues.
I have to make innovative dishes which are healthy and yet appealing. Occasionally I make stuffed zucchini (courgettes) or boats as some call them with different types of filling. Easy to prepare and healthy, I usually serve it as a side dish, or with salad or soup.
Some Filling Ideas:
Besides pasta, there are so many other things you can stuff zucchini with:
- Minced Meat
- Leftover pulao
- Leftover dry shaak or sabji
- Mashed potatoes
- Couscous, quinoa, bulgur wheat, millets, etc
- Mixed Vegetables
Add herbs and spices of your choice. I sometimes have leftover pasta which goes into the boats. How about leftover Methi Bateta Nu Shaak? Jazz it up with some creamy sauce. Options are endless.
Some More Stuffed Recipes:
My favourite is Caprese Stuffed Portobello.
When it comes to enjoying Chillis it has to be Potato Stuffed Chilli Bhajia (fritters)
Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes make a wonderful side with eggs and toast.
Cheese Stuffed Garlic Pull Apart Bread makes a perfect dinner party bread option.
Love making Stuffed Masala Buns to go with soups or carry for picnics.
THE GROUP – FOODIES_REDOING OLD POSTS
The Group Foodies_Redoing Old Posts, started by Renu helps the members to make an effort to update old posts. This is the 60TH redoing old posts event. This group helps me to stay focused and update old posts not only with better photos but also trying to make each post more SEO friendly. Some of them I’m also trying to add videos. Check out my You Tube Channel MAYURI’S JIKONI
The first time I made Stuffed Zucchini Boats, I used mixed vegetables topped with cheese. However, one of the zucchini was bitter. Yes they can be bitter so please taste a bit before you stuff and bake them.
First Published on 27/05/2015. Updated on 01/10/2021
Songs can uplift the soul, calm your mind, create a peaceful environment, bring smiles on faces, sometimes tears, transport you to a different level and make your heart beat. One such song I heard recently was Feel the Light by Jennifer Lopez. She has sung the song for the upcoming movie Home.
The song is wow but what makes it even more wow is the dress she had worn for the American Idol. The 20 foot radius and 40 foot diameter long dress almost covered the whole American Idol stage. Called a projector dress it acted as a blank canvas projecting a variety of special effect lights. Watch the video to believe and at the same time enjoy the beautiful lyrics of the song – Feel the Light
Have you noticed how all the animated movies have beautiful songs? Love listening to them. And I love watching animated movies too. Its amazing how one can watch them again and again and still enjoy them.
When my kids were growing up, we’ve watched Little Mermaid, Dumbo, Jungle Book, Aladdin and Bambi so many times. It was their favourite thing to do during the weekend. Each weekend they had turns to decide which movie they would get to watch.
Now I get the opportunity to watch them with my niece when I go to London (It’s Tinkerbell …always) or on flights. With earphones covering my ears, in my teeny weeny space, I get lost for a while and thoroughly enjoy the movie and flight! During my last flight to India watched Madagascar 3. Will I get to see Home on my next flight?
I’ve updated this post and I’ve had the opportunity to watch Home twice. With Netflix and other movie streaming apps one can watch their favourites any time.
Ingredients Required For Stuffed Zucchini Boats:
- Zucchini – also known as courgettes or baby marrows. Choose the larger ones for stuffing as then you can add more stuffing. If serving as a side dish then choose medium ones.
- Cooked Pasta – choose any type. For stuffing I prefer smaller pasta. I sometimes get small macaroni, or elbow. Occasionally get the rice shaped pasta. Or use cooked spaghetti.. just cut it up into smaller pieces.
- Onion – peeled and finely chopped. Any of your choice – red, white or yellow.
- Garlic – peeled and finely chopped
- Olive Oil
- Pesto – homemade or ready made. Can replace it with some thick pizza sauce or any sauce of your choice.
- Parmesan – or any cheese of your choice.
- Feta cheese – optional. Can also replace it with paneer.
- Cheese – cheddar, mozzarella or mixed. Grated for topping.
- Herbs – fresh or dried of your choice
- Salt – add according to your taste
- Pepper – I prefer coarse black pepper
- Chilli Flakes – optional
Watch The Video For Step By Step Method:
STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
- 2 large zucchinis
FOR THE STUFFING:
- ½ cup cooked pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1-1½ tbsp pesto
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ½ cup chopped zucchini use the scooped out bits
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
FOR THE ZUCCHINI BOATS:
- 1 tsp olive oil for brushing
- little salt to sprinkle over
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- ¼ -½ cup grated cheese
- some chilli flakes optional
PREPARATION OF THE ZUCCHINI BOATS:
- Wash and wipe the zucchinis.
- Trim the ends.
- Taste a small piece to make sure they are not bitter.
- Place the zucchinis in a horizontal position.
- Make an incision on the top part of the zucchini. Slice off the top, a bit and not too much.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini. Don't dig too deep or the zucchini will split.
- Place the scooped out zucchini boats on a lined baking tray.
- Brush some olive oil over the zucchini boats.
- Sprinkle some salt over them.
PREPARATION OF THE STUFFING:
- Dice the zucchini tops you sliced off.
- Put oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Stir fry till the onion becomes a bit soft.
- Add zucchini, herbs, pepper and salt. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta. Mix well.
- Add feta and parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Add pesto and mix well.
BAKING THE STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS:
- Add stuffing in the scooped out zucchini boats.
- Press it down a bit gently so you can get more stuffing in them.
- Sprinkle chilli flakes.
- Add grated cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- Serve stuffed zucchini boats with some salad or soup.
- Or serve it as a side dish.
- Add a filling of your choice.
- Make sure to taste the zucchini before you bake them. They can be bitter sometimes.
- If you want softer zucchini, cover them with foil and bake. Then allow the cheese to brown a little under the broiler or grill.
- Adds nuts or seeds of your choice.
- Adjust the spices and salt according to your taste.
- You can use fresh herb of your choice.
- If you have any scooped out zucchini left, use it up in a soup or curry.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
add a comment below,
send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962