strawberries and cream
Strawberries and Cream is not only a classic combination but a classic dessert or pudding as the British like to call it. Strawberries have existed for years but how did this combination of fruit and cream become so famous?
The story goes that Cardinal Thomas Wolsey was a powerful figure in the court of King Henry VIII. He began building Hampton Court which had the largest kitchen during the Tudor era. It is believed that it was responsible for serving food to about 600 guests twice a day. No wonder the chefs must have thought of creating simple desserts. Strawberries and Cream was one such dessert. The chef’s name is unknown therefore the Cardinal gets the credit of creating a simple, refreshing dessert.
British summertime epitomizes two things, strawberries and cream and Wimbledon. How it got introduced at the annual Wimbledon Tennis Tournament is a bit hazy but its believed that strawberries were in season in mid July for a short period. Without refrigeration facilities back then, the combination was a trend during the Victorian times (though introduced during the Tudor era) and was considered a luxury item to enjoy back then. Wimbledon and Strawberries and Cream both epitomize luxury.
A few days ago I got a punnet of fresh strawberries that were fresh, large and sweet. Normally we get tiny and slightly sour ones. The season of strawberries will disappear soon as the hot season has set in. I brought the punnet home and thought of baking some strawberry muffins. But by evening I had served strawberries with fresh cream as dessert.
I remember how my kaki and I would buy loads of strawberries and fresh cream to serve our large family as a treat on Saturday evenings when I was young. This is a very easy and quick dessert idea. Refreshing and cooling. I’ve sometimes served mixed berries and cream as dessert especially when I visit my family in London or Montreal. Unfortunately I don’t get all the berries here.
Tastes absolutely yummy. Go on try this recipe out, its so easy. Some serve the strawberries and pouring cream. Some whip it. Do what suits you best.
STRAWBERRIES AND FRESH CREAM
250 g fresh strawberries
1- 2 tsp powdered sugar
½ cup of cold fresh cream
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Cut them into halves or quarters.
- Add sugar to the strawberries and mix well.
- Cover and leave in the fridge till required.
- Whip the fresh cream till it fluffy and forms soft peaks.
- Spoon the strawberries into a serving bowl.
- Top with fresh cream and serve.
- Add a bit of powdered sugar to the cream before whipping it if you prefer sweeter desserts.
- Add a dash of your favourite liqueur to the strawberries.
- Use pouring cream if you don’t want to serve whipped cream.
- Top it up with chopped nuts, dark chocolate chips.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
You may want to check out the following strawberry recipes: