125.chocolate banana walnut muffins
Muffins, I love
Bananas and chocolate are a classic combination for cakes, muffins, smoothies, cookies etc. These muffins turn out very soft and spongy even though I have not used eggs. Yogurt and fruit puree are excellent replacements for eggs. Most of the muffins I have blogged do not have any frosting on top as usually I prefer to reduce the calorie intake. Feel free to add frosting on yours.
Muffins are very easy to prepare. Its basically all about mixing the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. I prefer to sift the flour with salt, baking agents, cocoa powder, spices etc. I mix the wet ingredients together, eggs, oil, butter, fruit purees, juices etc. The basic rule is not to over mix. Then spoon the batter into the greased muffin cups or cake cups.Preheating the oven basically means you switch on the oven at the mentioned temperature and let the oven reach that temperature. Don’t make the mistake of switching the oven at full heat, letting it get hot at that temperature and then lowering the temperature. That way your muffins will get burnt from the top and remain uncooked inside.
CHOCOLATE BANANA WALNUT MUFFINS
Makes 12 medium size or 16 small ones
2 cups plain flour
¾ cup sugar
½ cup oats
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
½ tsp salt
¼ cup chocolate chips
¾ cup chopped walnuts
⅓ cup oil
1 cup mashed banana
2 tbsp water/milk/orange juice
½ cup yogurt
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line muffin tray or molds with paper cups.
- Sieve plain flour together with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add oats, chocolate chips and nuts to the flour and mix well.
- In another bowl whisk sugar, oil, banana puree,vanilla extract and yogurt.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just enough to wet the flour. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter ¾ of the way into the prepared tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Take the muffins out of the tray and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with hot coffee, tea or milk.
- Add any nuts of your choice.
- Make without chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle some oats on top before baking.
- Serve as a dessert with a dollop of ice cream or hot custard.
- Instead of vanilla extract add orange zest.
|apple oat muffins|
|orange carrot muffins|