Spinach and Baby Corn Soup
Have you ever jotted down recipes from a book, magazine, internet, etc thinking that you will make it like yesterday and never got down to it? I have and not just a few recipes, but loads of them which tend to disappear among the many pages of my recipe book or are used as book markers. Jotting down the recipes is not a bad thing you might think, but what if you have not noted down the method? While going through the recipe, I had not noted down the method, thinking that oh I know how its done and I am going to make it soon. The method may remain fresh in you head for a few days but not years!
One such recipe is the spinach and baby corn soup. The method was missing and some of the ingredients I couldn’t read as the page had become all smudgy. However I had baby corn and I just wanted to make it into a soup. Once an idea comes into my head, I cannot see an alternative as I get fixated to the original idea. This definitely does not make me a versatile candidate for Master Chef!
So, getting back to the recipe, with fresh baby corn and spinach in my fresh, set about trying to make a Chinese style soup, you know the famous seed corn type where sometimes the base or liquid part is so thick because of the cornflour. Here I decided to replace the cornflour with rice flour and used other ingredients that I had.
Go on try out this simple and absolutely filling soup.
SPINACH AND BABY CORN SOUP
1½ cups of sliced baby corn (approx 8-10)
1 cup roughly chopped spinach
½ cup sliced onion (approx 1 medium one)
1½ tbsp cornflour
3 -3½ cups water or stock
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp sesame oil
½ – ¾ tsp salt
Some chili flakes
½ tsp pepper powder
- Mix rice flour with the measured water or stock.
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- When it is hot add the onion and garlic and stir fry it for a minute or so.
- Add the sliced baby corn.
- Stir fry for a minute or so. Cover the pan with a lid, lower the heat and let the baby corn cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the water or stock. Add salt.
- Stir the soup till it becomes hot.
- Let the soup come to a gentle simmer.
- Let it simmer over low heat till the corn is just cooked but not overcooked.
- Add the chopped spinach and let it cook for 2 minutes or so and serve.
- Serve the soup with some soy sauce and chilli sauce.
- You can add other spices of your choice.
- If you using ready made stock, add salt accordingly.
- Don’t over cook the spinach and baby corn.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
You may want to check out the following:
|sweet corn and mushroom soup|
|mexican vegetable soup