281. spinach and baby corn soup
Have you ever jotted down recipes from a book, magazine, internet etc thinking that you will make it like yesterday and never got down to it? I have and not just a few recipes, but loads of them which tend to disappear among the many pages of my recipe book or are used as book markers. Jotting down the recipes is not a bad thing you might think, but what if you have not noted down the method? While going through the recipe, I had not noted down the method, thinking that oh I know how its done and I am going to make it soon. The method may remain fresh in you head for a few days but not years! One such recipe is the spinach and baby corn soup. The method was missing and some of the ingredients I couldn’t read as the page had become all smudgy. However I had baby corn and I just wanted to make it into a soup. Once an idea comes into my head, I cannot see an alternative as I get fixated to the original idea. This definitely does not make me a versatile candidate for Master Chef! So, getting back to the recipe, read cornflour, stock, spinach so made a soup which I hope you will love. Do I have to mention again that it is a simple recipe?
SPINACH AND BABY CORN SOUP
1½ cups of sliced baby corn (approx 12 to 16)
1 cup roughly chopped spinach
½ cup sliced onion (approx 1 medium one)
3 tbsp cornflour
3½ cups water or stock
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
2 tbsp oil
1 to 1¼ tsp salt
2 fresh or dry red chillis (slice the chillis if using fresh. Snap the dry ones into two pieces)
- Mix cornflour with a ¼ cup of water.
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- When it is hot add the onion and garlic and stir fry it for a minute or so.
- Add the red chillis and sliced baby corn.
- Stir fry for a minute or so and add the water or stock. Add salt.
- Let the soup come to a gentle boil. While stirring the soup, add the cornflour mixture. Keep on stirring it till the soup thickens.
- Let it simmer over low heat till the corn is just cooked but not overcooked.
- Add the chopped spinach and let it cook for 2 minutes or so and serve.
- Serve the soup with some soy sauce and chilli sauce.
- You can add pepper and other spices if you like.
- If you using ready made stock, add salt accordingly.
- Add other vegetables if you like like celery.
|sweet corn and mushroom soup|
|mexican vegetable soup