77. carrot soup
a hot creamy orangy treat
I don’t know how I landed up with so many carrots in the fridge. So to use them up I did have a few options, carrot muffins, carrot halwa but that would not take care of my dinner dilemma. Suddenly a light bulb lit up and hey presto, dinner dilemma solved and used up all the extra carrots. I simply love soup as long as its accompanied by some form of interesting bread. I don’t think I would like to make the carrot soup with the red carrots that are available in India. Somehow I find they do not have any taste. So stick to the orange variety.
Did you know that many, many, many years ago carrots were grown for medicinal purpose only and not for food. Parsnip is related to carrot. Did you know that carrots besides being orange and red, can also be white, yellow and purple. Mel Blanc, the famous voice behind Bugs Bunny did like carrots! The name carrot comes from the Greek word ‘karoton’.
2 cups peeled and chopped carrots
¼ cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
2 cups water or stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
½ tsp nutmeg powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander
4 tbsps sour cream or thick yogurt
2 tbsps olive oil or butter
- Heat the oil or butter in a pan. Saute the onions, garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger and carrot and mix well. Let the carrots cook a 3 to 4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the water. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat till the carrots are done.
- Let the mixture cool a bit before you liquidise it in a blender.
- Put the pureed mixture back into the pan. Add salt, coriander powder, nutmeg powder and heat the soup gently.
- Just before serving add the fresh coriander and pepper. Mix well. Put a tbsp of sour cream or yogurt on top.
- The amount of salt required will depend on how sweet the carrots are.
- The cup measurement for the carrots and onions is actually for both chopped about pea size and not huge chunks.
- To make coriander powder, roast coriander over low heat till they are crispy and start turning brown. Let it cool. Grind in a coffee mill.
|roasted pepper soup|