62. spinach rice
This is one more recipe I learnt from my kaki. She use to make this rice quite often. Don’t know if she makes it anymore. Perhaps her way of getting the kids to eat spinach was to lace it up with everyones favourite…. cheese. After I got married I use to make this rice dish but without the cheese. Tried out this dish with the cheese just a few days ago and had forgotten how yummy it is, that is with the cheese. I just love the rich green hue, dotted with yellow corn and a nice layer of cheese. A sure hit for a Sunday lunch or when guests come over.
Serves 6 to 8
1½ cups rice
3 cups water
1½ cups spinach puree or about 8 to 10 frozen spinach cubes
½ cup diced carrot
1 cup sliced onion
1 cup sweet corn
1 tbsp ghee or oil + 1 more tsp
1″ cinnamon stick
4 whole cardamom
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsps garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp chilli paste
¼ cup cashew nut pieces, roasted
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Wash the rice properly. Soak it for 20 to 30 minutes in 3 cups of water.
- Add ½ tsp salt, cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon and 1 tsp ghee or oil.
- Boil the rice till just done. The grains should be separate.
- Take the rice out gently into a tray and let it cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee or oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds to it. When they splutter, add the onion slices.
- Saute the onions till they turn light pink in colour.
- Add garlic and saute for a few seconds. Add the ginger and chilli paste.
- Add the diced carrots and mix. Cover the pan and let the carrots cook over low heat. This will not take more than 5 minutes.You don’t want overcooked carrots.
- Add the spinach puree and salt. Burn off any extra water by turning the heat on high flame for a 2 to 3 minutes. lower the heat.
- Add the corn and rice. Mix gently to coat the rice with the puree.Add the cashew nuts.
- Put the rice into a baking tray. Sprinkle the top with grated cheese.
- Grill for about 5 to 10 minutes till the cheese melts.
- Serve hot with yogurt, pickle,papad or on its own.
- Can use leftover rice for this recipe.
- I prefer using ghee as it gives a nice aroma and taste to the rice.
- To prepare the spinach puree, check out the recipe for spinach masoor dal.
- In India its difficult to find big leaf spinach so I use palak instead.
- Can serve the rice without the cheese with kadhi. Recipe for kadhi will be posted pretty soon. Updated info: check out the kadhi recipe.
Sending this recipe for the following events: