THEME: #272 DIWALI
RECIPE: SEV MUMRA
What is Sev Mumra?
What is Sev?
What is Mumra?
Some Snacks that are Prepared Ahead of Diwali:
Every region in India has its own special dishes that are prepared ahead of the festivals. These are usually not only enjoyed by the family but also served to friends and family when they come to visit at home. I remember years ago we would prepare thalis or platters of assorted snacks to give to our friends, family and take for the staff at our workplace. That meant we made huge quantities of both sweet and savoury snacks.
Mathiya – crispy thin fried savory snack made from urad dal and moth beans. I now don’t make these at home as I rather buy readymade ones from women running small businesses.
Chevdo – a savory mixture of fried lentils, flattened rices spices, potato crisps and nuts. Check out how Mina makes it at home.
Chakli – a spiral fried savory snack made using rice flour and spices. Some use wheat flour or all purpose flour.
Googra – a sweet snack where semolina is filled in a pastry dough and fried.
Magas – A chickpea flour and nuts sweet
Farsi Puri – flaky crispy savory made from all purpose flour
Sev Mumra – a mixture of fried chickpea noodles and puffed rice
So far what have I prepared?
These are the Sweet Dishes that I usually prepare as the festival begins:
FoodieMonday/ Bloghop Group
In fact, with the upcoming festival, the theme for this week was unanimously agreed on as the Diwali sweets or savories.
Ingredients Required for Sev Mumra:
- Gluten Free
- To make it healthier, add less sev and add more roasted mumra
- Kids Friendly Snack
FOR THE MUMRA:
- 250 g mumra rice puffs
- 1 tsp powdered salt
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp asafetida optional
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
FOR THE SEV:
- 1½ cups chickpea flour besan, chana flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- a pinch of soda bicarbonate baking soda
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ cup water
- Oil for deep frying
PREPARATION OF SEV DOUGH:
- Sieve besan with rice flour, salt, soda bicarbonate and turmeric powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add oil and water.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix it into a thick paste. Don't be tempted to add more water, the dough should be sticky but not soft.
- Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
PREPARATION OF MUMRA:
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the mamra. Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix well till the mamra is coated with the turmeric powder.
- Tip the mamra into a large baking tray.
- Let the mamra roast for 20-30 minutes till they are crunchy.
PREPARATION OF SEV:
- Heat oil in a wok or karai over medium heat.
- Using wet hands, take the dough and shape it into a thick roll.
- Put it into the sev machine or press.
- Fill the machine with the dough.
- Press the sev over the hot oil in a circular motion. Don't press too much of the dough out. Do this in small batches so that the sev can get fried properly.
- Flip the circular sev and fry till the oil stops sizzling and the sev is slightly pinkish in colour
- Remove from the oil using a slotted spoon or jara.
- Repeat till the dough is over.
PREPARATION OF SEV MUMRA:
- Remove the mamra from the oven and transfer it into a big mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and red chili powder. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add asafetida and pour the oil onto the mumra.
- Mix the mumra well.
- Break up the circular sev gently and add it to the mumra. Don't powder the sev, you just want small pieces.
- Mix everything gently.
- Store in an airtight container till required.
- Serve as a tea time snack.
- If you wish, you can add fried cashew nuts, peanuts or even roasted ones.
- To make it even more healthier add more mumra.
- Can add a sprig of fresh curry leaves to the tempering for a different flavour.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962