Watermelon Soda Float
Event: Sunday Funday
Recipe: Watermelon Soda Float
Watermelon Soda Float is a delicious, chilled, refreshing summer time drink. With fresh watermelon juice, flavour of mint, chilled soda water and vanilla ice cream, this lightly creamy summer treat is a must have.
My First Introduction To A Soda Float or Ice Cream Float
I was in Ahmedabad staying for a few days with my guardians before I headed home for the winter vacation from school. The whole family and I went for a movie at the Drive In Cinema. One of the drinks that was ordered for the whole group was Soda Float. Had no idea what it was. Each of us was handed over a glass filled with Fanta like drink topped with vanilla ice cream. Back then there was no Fanta in India but the local Gold Spot.
The drink was sickly sweet, but I gulped it down perhaps because everyone else did or because it was just too hot and balmy! It was a cooling thirst quencher. My next float was my aunt’s favourite, Coke with ice cream… I didn’t like that at all.
Watermelon Soda Float
The first time I came across the recipe for Watermelon Soda Float was in the magazine Femina. I remember cutting the recipe out and itching to try it out. Made it for my family one Sunday afternoon while we were making a 1500 pieces jigsaw puzzle. Everyone loved it and there was no looking back.
Made it quite often for my kids especially when the months of December to March are so hot. Then the kids went off to school and it was after a very long time I made it for hubby and me. I made the mistake of blending the watermelon with the seeds. The resulting juice was brownish in colour. I still took the photos and posted the recipe on my blog. That was way back in March 30th, 2017.
By the way, Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
Sue who blogs at Palatable Pastimes suggested we post a recipe where we’ve used any type of melon. I took the opportunity to redo my old post by using watermelon as the star ingredient. Summer has just begun and the markets are flooded with huge watermelons and I love this fruit.
Some More Watermelon Recipes
What Is A Melon?
The Melon Family, Cucurbitaceae, is a plant family commonly known as melons, gourds or cucurbits and includes crops like cucumbers, squashes (including pumpkins), luffas and melons. Melon refers to the plant or the fleshy fruit.
Some Melon Recipes You May Like
Hubby is a huge fan of this bitter melon stir fry: Karela Nu Shaak
Check Out Some Melon Recipes By Fellow Members Of Sunday Funday
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Watermelon Mojitos
- Amy’s Cooking Adventures: Watermelon Crunch Salad with Watermelon Poppyseed Vinaigrette and Watermelon Caramel Walnuts
- Mayuri’s Jikoni: Watermelon Soda Float
- Sneha’s Recipe: Subak-hwachae/Watermelon Punch – Korean
Ingredients Required For Watermelon Soda Float
- Watermelon – chop the watermelon without the rind into rough cubes. Remove as many seeds as you can. If you blend it with the seeds, the juice turns a little brownish in colour.
- Fresh Mint Leaves– about 12-14 leaves. And some for garnishing.
- Sugar – optional. I don’t add any as the sweetness from the ice cream is enough. If you want, add some according to your taste.
- Fresh Lemon Juice – add according to your taste.
- Soda Water – make sure the soda water is chilled.
- Ice Cubes – some ice cubes so that the drink is super cold.
- Fresh Fruit – any fresh fruit cut into small pieces. Can also use finely chopped watermelon.
- Vanilla Ice Cream – Add one or two scoops for each glass.
Watch How To Make Watermelon Soda Float
WATERMELON SODA FLOAT
- 2½ cups watermelon cubes
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 2 - 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup soda water chilled
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp any fruit of your choice finely chopped
- few ice cubes
- Add the water melon cubes and mint leaves into the blender. Liquidize it. You may need to push the melon down for it to get crushed. You will get about 1-1½ cups of juice.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- At this stage you may want to leave the juice in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to chill completely. Or prepare it ahead and let it chill in the fridge.
- To serve, take two tall glasses. Add ice cubes to the bottom of each glass.
- Add a tbsp each of the chopped fruit.
- Divide the watermelon juice between the two glasses.
- Top it with the chilled soda water.
- Remember not to fill it till the brim as you have to add ice cream.
- Finally add a scoop or two each of the ice cream.
- Serve immediately.
- Be sure to serve with a spoon otherwise the fruit may get left in the glass.
- Add any fruit of your choice. I use kiwi, watermelon, berries, etc
- To make a different flavoured float, use any other fresh fruit juice.
- Use lemon sorbet, coconut ice cream instead of vanilla ice cream.
- I like to liquidized the mint leaves with the melon to get the maximum flavour of this wonderful herb.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962