Mushroom Egg Fried Rice
RECIPE: MUSHROOM EGG FRIED RICE
Mushroom Egg Fried Rice is an easy to make, flavourful, tasty mushroom rice with eggs. Instead of the usual style of adding scrambled eggs to the rice, raw beaten eggs are added at the final stage of cooking. This way the vegetables and rice all get coated with egg. This Mushroom Egg Fried Rice can be enjoyed on its own or served with any Chinese or Indo Chinese sauced based dish.
Galaxy Restaurant is a well known Chinese Restaurant in Mombasa. I often order egg fried rice to go with my veggie dishes. When we are in India I love to order Mushroom Stir Fried Rice. Love the one they make at the fast food joint Shri Krishna in HSR Layout, Bangalore. So this recipe is a combination of both. Hubby and I love to have it on its own or with Sweet and Sour Vegetables or Stir Fried Vegetables.
Can I Make The Rice Without Eggs?
Yes you can, simply omit adding eggs.
Save our Planet
My hubby dear has his breakfast pretty early but I prefer to have it after I have bathed and done my pooja. While having breakfast I usually watch the news channels, catch up with the Whatsapp messages and also make phone calls that I have to for the day… call for the gas cylinder, social calls, whatever needs attention for that day.
Stop Using Plastic Bags
Anyway, what really caught my attention was the news that in some Scottish stores the use of plastic bags has dropped by 90% since they introduced the 5p charge for bags. 500 billion to a trillion bags are used every year by the world. Without thinking we gather several bags when we go shopping and usually just throw them away in the dustbin.
Stop and think what happens to those bags you have just thrown. It fills up the landfill sites. This land could be put to better use. Plastic finds its way to the ocean and eventually finds its way into the stomachs of the marine life, killing them.
Plastic bags are found at the country side, on farms , forests, everywhere. These plastic bags are eaten by animals and thus endangering their lives. A single plastic bag takes 1000 years to degrade. Even after degradation, its still harmful to living things as they are still toxic.
During my last visit to India, I was glad that many stores have chosen to charge extra for bags. This made us consciously remember to carry bags from home for our shopping. In UK where ever I have gone shopping, the cashier will ask if I need a bag. Most stores charge extra for the bags.
I‘m Trying To Use Less Plastic
Change can only come about if we all make a conscious effort to reduce the usage of plastic. I always remember to carry my shopping basket and bags whenever I go for grocery or vegetable shopping. In fact, I leave a small basket and bags in my car for unexpected shopping. My green grocer has a smirk on his face whenever I insist on re using the plastic bags and refuse a new one. On the other hand, the cashiers at Nakumatt are happy whenever I tell them that I have brought my own bags.
My house help cannot comprehend why I would not want to take a bag/bags with the shopping I do. He tells me that I am wasting my hubby’s money as according to him, whatever I pay for the shopping includes the price of bags. I cannot still make him understand the effect plastic has on our earth. They all call the plastic bags, paper bags and I am actually tired of explaining to them that they are not paper bags!
Are you doing your bit by reducing the usage of plastic?
First published on 21/11/2014. Updated on 19/01/2022.
Since the time I first wrote this post, usage of plastic bags has been reduced in many parts of the world including Kenya. However, still more reduction is required. While usage of plastic bags has reduced where shopping is concerned it needs to be reduced drastically in packaging.
Some More Rice Dishes You May Want To Check Out On My Blog
Ingredients Required For Mushroom Egg Fried Rice
- Rice – I prefer using basmati white or brown rice. Use any of your choice.Cook the rice first. Can use leftover plain rice.
- Water – to cook the rice if you are not using leftover rice.
- Onion – peeled and sliced or chopped.
- Garlic – peeled and minced or finely chopped.
- Ginger – peeled and minced or cut into thin strips.
- Fresh Chilli – use according to your taste. Use fresh red or green ones. Minced or finely sliced.
- Mushrooms – I have used fresh button mushrooms. Wipe them with a damp cloth. If they are too dirty then give them a quick wash and wipe them with a kitchen towel. Slice the mushrooms.
- Sweet Corn – cooked. Can add other vegetable of your choice.
- Eggs – break the eggs and whisk lightly.
- Oil – I use vegetable oil. Sometimes I add sesame oil.
- Salt – add according to your taste.
- Black Pepper Powder
- Soy Sauce – dark or light.
- Spring Onions – chop both the white and green parts.
MUSHROOM EGG FRIED RICE
- 1 cup brown/white rice uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion sliced
- ½ cup sweet corn cooked
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 3 eggs whisked lightly
- 1 red/green chilli finely sliced
- 1½ cups sliced mushrooms approx 125g
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup spring onions chopped
COOK THE RICE:
- Wash the rice and soak it in the water for 15-20 minutes. Brown rice will require ½ cup more of water.
- Drain out the rice and put the water in a pan to boil.
- Add ½ tsp salt, 1 tbsp oil and the rice. Cover and cook the rice till it is done.
- Let the rice cool down completely.
PREPARATION OF MUSHROOM EGG FRIED RICE:
- Heat remaining oil in a wide pan.
- Stir fry the onions till they become slightly soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger and sliced chilli.
- Stir fry for a few seconds and add the mushrooms.
- Stir fry the mushrooms for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining salt, soy sauce and pepper powder. Mix well.
- Whisk the eggs lightly.
- Pour it over the rice and keep on mixing till the rice becomes a bit dry again.
- Add sweet corn and mix.
- Garnish with spring onion.
- Serve with stir fry vegetables, any manchurian dish or even on its own.
- You can make this rice without the eggs.
- If you use white rice then you will need less water. Brown rice usually requires more water to cook.
- Add any other vegetables of your choice.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962