Keto Fathead Dough Pizza
THEME: #215 PIZZA MANIA
What is FoodieMonday/Bloghop?
Its a group of blogger friends who get together every Monday to post a recipe on a chosen theme.This group has helped to explore some unknown areas and test some unknown waters too. Its helped to grow as a Food Blogger over the years. This week’s theme Pizza Mania was suggested by Preethi who blogs at Preethi’s Cuisine.I love her raw mango and jeera rasam. Coming to the theme, you’ve got to check out her unique aachari aloo pizza.
This week’s theme:
For this week Preethi suggested that we make a unique pizza, either use a different kind of pizza base or toppings. While I used my all time favourite toppings, mushrooms and olives, I created a Keto friendly pizza base which is made from a fathead dough. I love pizza so have a variety of recipes on my blog, like my homemade veggie pizza where I’ve used both wheat and plain flour to make the crust. I’ve made a pizza swirl bread twice, make a healthy eggplant pizza often, and even made an apple dessert pizza.You may want to check a gluten free pizza crust which my aunt makes using a mixture of low carb grains.
What is Fathead Dough?
Well, as I read up articles on Google, this unique low carb dough was invented by Tom Naughton’s eldest brother’s eldest son. Tom Naughton is a comedian and health writer. The name fathead comes from the documentary he made “The Fathead Movie.” The documentary explains how low cholesterol is unhealthy, saturated fat does not cause heart disease but instead sugars, grains, starches and processed vegetable oils do.
The fathead dough has taken the Keto world by storm. Its used to make pizza crust, naan, pita bread, cheese sticks, tortilla, crackers etc. All of these offer a low carb option to the normal carb filled foods. The dough becomes pliable enough so that one can pat it down, shape it or roll it out.
How to make Fathead Dough:
The ingredients required for the dough are mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, eggs or flaxseed powder, almond flour and salt. Herbs and spices are added to make it according to your taste and dish you want to prepare.We will get into the recipe in a short while.
Steps to making fat head dough on a stove top
How does keto fathead dough taste?
Truthfully the initial bites I took of the pizza, I didn’t feel that its not made out of flour like plain flour or wheat or any grain flour. It made me enjoy my favorite dish without any guilt. Of course I did not finish the whole pizza in one go as, seriously you can’t. 2-3 slices and your stomach is full. I put the remaining slices in an airtight container and warmed them up on a frying pan or skillet as and when I wanted to have pizza. Overall feeling, I was not feeling bloated at all and I felt good that I did not fill my body with loads of carbohydrates.
My take on Keto Diet?
I would not advocate that all should follow this diet. We all know our bodies and what its screaming out to us to follow. I have over the years tried several diet programs and they haven’t worked for several reasons. After reading about Keto Diet, I decided to try this diet as my hypothyroidism was a block to losing weight. I want to lose weight not for an hour glass figure but for better health. First few weeks have resulted in positive results and hoping to continue till I lose the required kilos.Whether I go into ketosis or not, just the fact that I have cut off all forms of sugar except some sweeteners occasionally like stevia. I find that the spikes of blood sugar that results from having high carb food has reduced drastically. This in turn is helping to reduce weight and cravings.
“If you listen to your body, your body will clearly tell you with what kind of food it is happy with. But right now, you are listening to your mind. Your mind keeps lying to you all the time”. By Satguru.
Makes One Pizza about 10-11 inches
Fathead Dough Pizza Crust Ingredients:
2 cups (750g) mozzarella, grated
3 tbsp cream cheese
1 egg or 1 tbsp flaxseed powder +3 tbsp water
¾ cup (70g) almond flour
¼ cup psyllium husk
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper powder
1 tbsp dried herbs of your choice
Keto Pizza Sauce Ingredients:
½ cup chopped onion
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
8 medium tomatoes
½ – ¾ tsp salt
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tbsp olive oil
50g(approx ¼ cup) grated cheddar
50g (approx ¼ cup) grated mozzarella
1 cup sliced mushrooms
25-30g (¼ -⅓) olive slices
fresh or dried herbs
Preparation of Fathead Dough Pizza Crust:
- Melt the mozzarella in the microwave oven for 90 secs or in a double boiler on the stove. I melted it using the double boiler method.
- Add cream cheese and egg (or flaxseed ‘egg’ which is flaxseed and 3 tbsp water mixed and allowed to rest for 15-20 minutes).
- Mix it well.
- Mix almond powder, psyllium husk, salt, pepper and herbs together.
- Add the almond mixture to the egg cheese mixture.
- Mix it well with a spatula.
- The dough will be shaggy. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Grease your hands with olive oil or butter and knead the dough.
- Cover it with a lid or put it in an airtight container till required.
Preparation of the Keto Tomato Sauce:
- Wash and cut the tomatoes into halves. Add ¼ cup water. Cover the pan and cook the tomatoes till they become soft.
- Drain the water out and save it. Use it up to make soup or curries.
- Puree the tomatoes.
- Heat olive oil over low heat.
- Add chopped onion and saute it till it becomes soft and slightly brown.
- Add minced garlic and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the pureed tomato sauce.
- Add salt and the herbs.
- Cover the pan and let the sauce simmer over low to medium till it becomes thick.
- Add pepper and mix well. Keep on the side till required.
Preparation of Keto Fathead Dough Pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Grease a silat mat lightly with olive oil.
- Using greased hand, pat the fathead dough evenly into a circle about 10-11 inches in diameter.
- Bake the crust in the hot oven for 7-8 minutes. Flip it over and bake for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce over the crust.
- Sprinkle a bit of cheese over the sauce, don’t use up the whole amount.
- Add the mushroom and olive slices over the cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle some herbs and bake the pizza for 3-5 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- Enjoy some low carb keto fathead dough pizza.
2 pizza slices: 576 cals / 44g Total Fat / 33g protein / 23g Total carb
When using the sauce for other dishes, use sparingly as its high in carbs. I usually use no more than 2 tbsp.
2 tbsp of sauce: 41 cals / 2g Total Fat /6g protein / 6g Total carb / 4g net carb
2 slices of crust: 399 cals / 12g Total Fat /24g protein / 14g Total carb / 4g net carb
- I didn’t use the whole amount of tomato sauce. The rest I leave it in the fridge to drizzle a bit over stir fried cauliflower or zucchini or freeze it.
- Add toppings of your choice.
- Add fresh herbs if you get any.
- Add more cheese if you prefer.
- I puree the tomatoes with the skin to add more dietary fiber.
Pin for later: