572.Cucumber and Orange Salad
When the Shhh Cooking Secretly Group decided on the theme Summer Treats at the beginning of June, it was pretty hot, not only in the Indian Sub Continent but also in Mombasa. A few days later and the weather changed. I hear its raining in many parts of India, France was flooded and though we don’t have any rain, its become a little cooler here. My partner Anu Kollon, blogger at Ente Thattukada gave me orange and cucumber as my secret ingredients.Check out her blog for some lovely Kerala dishes. The options with those two ingredients were to make a smoothie, ice lolly or a healthy salad. I decided to make the latter. I served the salad for dinner with home made flat bread. Absolutely delicious and healthy. I love adding freshly roasted and ground cumin seed powder to oranges. I think is a lovely tasteful combination. I used cumin powder in the dressing and also sprinkled a bit more on the salad.
Yesterday was Canada Day. We decided to make a day trip to Mont Tremblant. The whole experience was very beautiful. Its amazing how much forest cover Canada has. Mont Tremblant village is very touristic, quaint and entertaining. We went up to the mountain by cable car. The view from the top is breathtaking.Lakes,hills and forest at every angle you turn. Taking a short hike around connects your soul to nature. White, purple and yellow flowers growing naturally speckled against the green ferns.On our way down, again by cable car, we saw an old couple hiking up. That put hubby and me to shame! This old couple was hiking up the steep slope. Canadians take outdoor life very seriously. Parents make a conscious effort to teach their children from a very young age to cycle, hike, row a boat, play sports and appreciate nature. Maybe that old couple have been trekking and hiking from a young age and therefore have so much strength and stamina. During our short hike, I was breathless, in the literally sense and also because of the exhilarating view.
Cucumber and Orange Salad
1 medium cucumber
½ cup feta cheese cubes
6-8 red radishes
12-14 mint leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper powder
½ tsp orange zest (rind)
½ tsp cumin seed powder (jeera powder)
- Slice cucumber and radishes thinly.
- Grate the rind from one orange and keep it on the side.
- Remove the peel from the oranges. Cut into slices and then cut them into half.
- Slice the olives.
- Mix cucumber, radishes, olives, orange, mint leaves and feta cheese in a salad bowl.
- To prepare the dressing mix all the ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.
- If you want to serve the salad chilled, put it in the fridge without the dressing.
- Pour the dressing just before serving or let everyone help themselves to the dressing.
- You can add thin slices of onions. I didn’t as the red radish were slightly pungent.
- Add any type of olives you prefer.
- If you don’t have vinegar, replace it with lemon juice.
- Add fresh basil instead mint.
|lemongrass and ginger infused pineapple coconut ice cream|
|banana, mango and peanut butter smoothie bowl|
|mango coconut jelly|