212. wheat orange oat cookies
baking and some more baking
I go through phases. At the beginning of the year, it was muffins and more muffins. Then it was breads and at the moment its the cookie bug. I love trying out new recipes and so the oven is forever busy. I still have loads of muffin, bread and cookie recipes to try out. As a Diwali present I baked cookies and gave some to my near and dear ones. This year there were no traditional mathias. Now I am busy baking cookies to take to Nairobi as my nephew is getting married. Many guests have already arrived and I am sure my sister in law will need tonnes of food 24hours to feed the huge gang. The best way I could help her is to bake some cookies. Today I made some wheat orange oatmeal cookies. The name is quite a mouthful but the cookies are pretty easy to make.
WHEAT ORANGE OAT COOKIES
Approx. 60 medium cookies
250 g butter
2 cups of wholewheat flour (atta)
½ cup chopped mixed nuts
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 cups oatmeal
½ cup orange juice
1 cup brown or white sugar
1 tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp grated orange rind
extra 2 cups of oatmeal for rolling
- Sieve the flour with the baking powder and soda bicarbonate into a big bowl.
- Add the chopped nuts, coconut and oatmeal to the flour and mix well.
- Cream butter and sugar very well till it is soft, creamy and fluffy.
- Add the orange juice and rind and mix it well.
- Add the flour mixture and using your hands make it into a dough.
- Initially it will be very sticky. Rest the dough for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime preheat the oven to 180°C and grease the baking tray lightly with butter.
- Put 2 cups of oatmeal in a plate.
- Take tablespoonful of the batter and roll it into balls. Roll them in the oatmeal.
- Place them on the greased tray about an inch apart and gently press them with a glass tumbler or a small steel bowl.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to15 minutes till they are golden brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven and leave the cookies on the tray for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the tray and let them cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
- You can bake them without rolling the balls in the oatmeal.
- Add chocolate chips instead of nuts.
- Instead of orange juice and orange rind add ginger powder and milk.
|cornflakes cranberry cookies|