Mushrooms On Toast
Recipe: Mushrooms On Toast
Mushrooms On Toast is an easy, delicious and healthy breakfast, light lunch or dinner option. Easy to make, hubby and I love to have it with our soup or with some salad as a healthy and filling meal.
Type Of Bread
The base for mushrooms on toast is the bread. Here are some types of bread you may want to use:
- sourdough bread
- pizza base – I bake it in the oven on its own till it becomes a bit crispy.
- country style bread
- thick sliced multigrain, brown or white bread
Types Of Mushrooms
I usually use whatever is available. Crimini, button,shiitake, porcini. Sometimes I use a mixture and other times just one type. For today’s recipe I have used button mushrooms as that is what I had in my fridge.
What Spread To Use
One can easily use a buttered toast or spread some cream cheese before adding the mushrooms. Depending on what I have at hand, I like to use cream cheese or toast the slices with some grated cheddar cheese. Garlic butter works well. I always find that the more garlic the better the mushrooms taste. It is all about personal choice.
Herbs And Spices To Use
Quite a few herbs pair well with mushrooms – tarragon, parsley, coriander, oregano, thyme, basil, etc. For this recipe I have used dried parsley.
While I love pepper with mushrooms, sometimes a bit of green chillis or red chilli flakes adds the required kick or flavour. Onion, garlic, ginger all go pretty well with mushrooms. For an Indian version of mushrooms on toast I add garam masala.
Why Not To Soak Mushrooms?
Mushrooms are like sponge, so porous. They tend to soak in water. As it soaks up water, it becomes difficult to cook them to a slight crispiness. On the contrary it is like boiling them mushrooms. Best to wipe them with a wet towel. If they are dirty, dunk them in the water, rub with your fingers and remove immediately. Dry them up. Don’t and I repeat don’t soak them in water.
Some More Mushroom Recipes
Baked Breaded Mushrooms is a delicious healthy version of the deep fried ones.
Ingredients Required For Mushrooms On Toast
- Mushrooms – any type of mushrooms of your choice. Cremini, button, shiitake, porcini. Use a mixture for more flavour.
- Bread Slices – for this recipe you need 4 large slices. I have used sourdough bread slices. Use bread of your choice.
- Garlic Butter – I have used ready made garlic butter. Make it at home if you want to. Add 1-2 cloves of garlic minced in the butter. Add herbs of your choice and mix well. And taadaaa garlic butter is ready.
- Cheddar Cheese – I get grated aged cheddar and mild cheese from my local store. Use any cheese of your choice. If you don’t want to use cheddar cheese then spread only garlic butter over the toast or some cream cheese.
- Olive Oil – required to saute the garlic and mushrooms.
- Butter – mushrooms taste so delicious when cooked in butter.
- Salt – add according to your taste. I like to add it at the end.
- Herbs – use fresh or dried. As I had dried parsley, I used that.
- Pepper Powder – add according to your taste.
- Red Chilli Flakes – optional. Sprinkle on top just before serving.
- Spring Onions – finely chopped. Add on top or stir fry them with the mushrooms.
MUSHROOMS ON TOAST
- 4 large bread slices
- 250 g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 2-3 tbsp garlic butter
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup spring onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- First prepare the mushrooms. If they are very dirty then dunk them in some water. Using your fingers rub off the soil. Remove immediately and dry them on a kitchen towel.
- Alternately, wipe them with a wet towel.
- Chop the mushrooms into slices or chunks.
- Heat oil and butter in a wide pan over medium heat.
- When the butter melts, add the chopped garlic.
- Stir fry for a few seconds, till you get the aroma.
- Add the mushrooms. Mix well.
- Sprinkle salt and mix well. Increase the heat to high.
- Allow the mushrooms to cook till most of the water disappears. Stir frequently.
- Add parsley, pepper powder and mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat. If the mushrooms become cold, you can heat them up again.
- Toast the bread slices slightly. Don't toast them fully.
- Spread some garlic butter over the toasted slices.
- Sprinkle the grated or shredded cheese over the slices.
- Toast till the cheese melts or the toast becomes golden brown at the edges.
- Top the toasted bread with the hot mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle some spring onions over them. Add some dried chilli flakes.
- Serve with some soup or salad.
- Use any bread of your choice. Make sure the slices are not too thin as it may not hold the weight of the mushrooms.
- Use cream cheese instead of cheddar cheese.
- Add herbs and spices of your choice.
- Use a variety of mushrooms if you have access to them.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
- If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962