244. carrot orange salad
The stomach demands light meals automatically during the hot season and it is extremely hot in Mombasa. So I am back to salads and besides tossing up the already blogged recipes, I have tried a few new ones too. It seems that most of my followers tend to visit the salad recipes less frequently. I hope this colourful salad tempts you to try it out again and again. Deep orange and light orange colour is pleasing to the eye. Okay, I am getting down to the recipe instead of creating too much mystery. Enjoy my carrot and orange salad.
CARROT ORANGE SALAD
4 servings, 2 if having it as a meal
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced with a peeler or mandolin
2 large oranges
¼ cup thinly sliced white onion
1 cupful of mixed green leaves or 4 to 5 iceberg lettuce leaves
1 tsp fennel seeds (valiyari)
1 tsp sesame seeds (tal)
1 tsp thinly cut orange peel
3 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp coarse pepper powder
- Peel the oranges. Save a small strip of the peel to cut into thin strips to add to the salad.
- Remove the white part of the orange and seeds and cut into segments.
- Mix the orange, carrot, onion and lettuce in a big bowl. Keep it in the fridge till required.
- Roast the sesame and fennel seeds lightly. When it cools down add to the salad.
- Mix all the ingredients of the dressing very well and pour over the salad just before serving.
- I usually put all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar and give it a good shake.
- Can lightly crush the fennel seeds if you like.
- Grate the orange peel instead of cutting into strips.
- For a nice crunchy salad, leave the lettuce leaves in ice cold water for 15 to 20 minutes.
|strawberry green bean salad|
|feta tomato cucumber salad|