135. bhinda nu shaak (ladyfinger vegetable)
why ladyfinger and not manfinger?
If you have never cooked with ladyfingers or okra, go ahead and try this recipe. It is very easy, not complicated and an excellent accompaniment to chapattis, naan or rice along with a curry. Ladyfingers are readily available in UK, Kenya and India practically throughout the year. The more experienced cooks may laugh at the idea of me putting up a recipe for ladyfinger shaak or vegetable but for novices its one of the easiest to prepare. As I had mentioned at the beginning of this blog, I am blogging recipes I have learnt from family members, friends or through books and bhinda nu shaak is one of the first vegetables I had learnt to make from my mum.The recipes also give you an idea of how much to prepare for how many. Alterations can be made to suit your taste and you never know, you may create a new recipe altogether.
BHINDA NU SHAAK (LADYFINGER VEGETABLE)
3 tbsps oil
1 tsp cumin seeds(jeera)
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
¼ tsp carom seeds (ajwain, ajmo)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder
pinch of asafoetida
1 to 1½ tsp salt
2 tsps coriander cumin powder (dhana jiru )
2 tbsps fresh chopped coriander
- Wash the ladyfingers. Wipe each of them with a dry kitchen cloth.
- Cut off both the ends.
- Cut each ladyfinger into rounds about ½ inch thickness.
- Heat oil in a wide non stick pan over medium heat.
- When it is hot add to it mustard, cumin and carom seeds.
- When they begin to splutter, add asafoetida, turmeric powder and the cut ladyfingers.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or non stick spatula.
- Cover the lid of the pan. Lower the heat and cook the ladyfingers for about 10 minutes. Occasionally, stir them.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes.Stir them occasionally.
- Check to see if they are cooked. Usually you will be able to cut one easily with your spatula.
- Add red chilli powder and dhana jiru powder.
- Let it cool a bit and then add salt. Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
- Wash the ladyfingers and leave it on a newspaper to dry overnight.
- Do not add salt while cooking the ladyfingers otherwise you will get a sticky mass of vegetable.
- Can cook the vegetable ahead and leave.Don’t cover the pan with a lid. Cover with a net or cloth. Just heat it up again when required.
- Can add about 4 to 5 cloves of finely chopped garlic for a different taste.
- For this vegetable, you do need dhana jiru. Refer to Nunu’s biryani for the recipe.
- Have it with a dollop of natural yogurt.