Valor is a popular gujarati vegetable, prepared either with aubergines, muthia or other vegetables. In English it is called hyacinth bean. The mature beans are what we usually call vaal in gujarati and valor is the tender pods. Its a very seasonal vegetable, grows well during the cold season. Available in Kenya at moment and usually available in India during the winter season. Valor is also added along with other vegetables to make the famous gujarati udhiyu. I usually make this simple vegetable or shaak to go along with tuvar dal and serve with hot rotlis.
1 cup fresh peas
1 medium brinjal (aubergine, eggplant)
2 tbsps oil
6 cloves of garlic
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp chilli paste
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain, ajmo)
¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsps coriander cumin powder
¼ tsp sugar
1 to 1¼ tsp salt
3 tbsps chopped fresh coriander
- Wash the valor. Snap the ends and remove them. Split open the pod. Snap into nearly 1 inch pieces. Check for wiggly worms.
- Cut the brinjal into medium cubes and leave in the water till required.
- Chop the garlic finely.
- Mix the valor, peas and brinjal.
- Heat oil in a wide pan.
- Add mustard, carom seeds. When they splutter, add asafoetida and garlic. Stir fry the garlic till it just begins to turn pink.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli and ginger paste. Mix well.
- Add the vegetables.
- Add salt and sugar and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook the vegetable over low heat.
- Usually the water that comes out from the valor and brinjal is enough, but if the vegetable begins to stick to the pan, add ¼ cup of water.
- Cook till the vegetables are done. Add coriander cumin powder. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve with dal and hot chappati.
- For a different taste add 2 tbsps of tomato puree when the vegetable is done. Cover and leave for 5 minutes.
- For the recipe of coriander cumin powder check out my recipe for Nunu’s biryani
- Prepare the vegetable ahead and warm it up before serving.
You may want to check out the following :
Sending this recipe to the following event: