Beetroot Grape Salad
RECIPE: BEETROOT GRAPE SALAD
Beetroot Grape Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette is a delicate balance of flavours – sweet, tangy and salty. This salad is not only colourful but very tasty and filling too. With the addition of feta and chickpeas, it is perfect as a light meal or as a starter dish.
There is no doubt that colour plays an important part in our daily lives. Right from the natural colours around us to food. How colourful the food appears, it definitely an attraction to dive into it. Okay, I’m not willing to dive into those artificially coloured desserts, cakes, etc. But naturally colourful food …yes!
You will rarely find a basic carrot tomato and lettuce salad on my dining table. I am all for combining a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, herbs, spices to make a salad not only appealing but nutritious too. Some are traditional recipes and some are just where the salad gets created as I go along.
SOME IDEAS HOW TO INCLUDE BEETROOT IN YOUR DAILY DIET
- Steamed and healthy Snack Beetroot Ammini Kozhukattai
- Nutritious Beetroot Energy Balls
- Enjoy for breakfast – Beetroot Appe
- Delicious snack or use for burgers – Beetroot Cutlets
- My favourite, Beetroot Rice
BEETROOT GRAPE SALAD WITH LEMON VINAIGRETTE
This beetroot grape salad came about because I had a handful of grapes, a roasted beetroot and some boiled chickpeas. Pairing it with homemade lemon vinaigrette, adds that lovely refreshing flavour. For the lemon vinaigrette I prefer using the Eureka Lemons as opposed to the small more acidic lemons. However, use any lemon available in your area.
We love to have it as a light meal. Sometimes I serve it with a soup, or as a side dish. Occasionally, have served it as a starter especially when I’ve prepared a Mediterranean meal.
Ingredients Required For Beetroot Grape Salad
- Beetroot – roasted, boiled or raw. Cut into small cubes.
- Grapes – I have used red grapes. Use any of your choice.
- Salad Leaves – any of your choice. It tastes good with baby spinach too.
- Chickpeas – cooked chickpeas. Can replace them with red/black kidney beans,haricot beans, corn, or even boiled peanuts.
- Sunflower Seeds – lightly roasted
- Fresh Mint Leaves – or dill.
- Feta – crumbled or cubed. Can replace it with Goats Cheese, halloumi or any white cheese of your choice.
- Lemon – lemon juice and zest for the vinaigrette
- Salt – for the vinaigrette
- Pepper Powder – for the vinaigrette
- Dijon Mustard or Mustard Powder – add according to your taste
- Olive Oil – for the vinaigrette
- Sweetener – I have not added any as both the grapes and beetroot are sweet. However, you can add honey, maple syrup, sugar or powdered jaggery.
BEETROOT GRAPE SALAD WITH LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- 2 medium beetroots
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked
- 1 cup grapes preferably seedless
- ½ cup feta cubes
- handful salad leaves, baby spinach
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds roasted
- 12 mint leaves fresh
FOR LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Wash the beetroots and trim the ends.
- Wrap them in foil.
- Place them on a baking tray.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Larger beetroots will take longer time to roast.
- Remove the roasted beetroots from the oven. Open up the foil and allow the beetroots to cool down.
- Peel the skin off. Cut the beetroots into bite size cubes.
PREPARATION OF THE SALAD
- Wash and wipe the grapes. If they are small leave them whole or cut into halves.
- Roast the sunflower seeds lightly in a wide pan over low heat.
- Add them to a big bowl. Add the diced beetroots and grapes.
- Add salad leaves, mint, chickpeas and feta.
- Toss gently.
PREPARATION OF LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl or a jar.
- Whisk if using a bowl. If you're using a jar like I do, shut the lid tight and give it a good shake.
- Add the vinaigrette and toss the salad or serve the dressing on the side.
- Can boil and peel the beetroot if you don't want to roast them.
- I usually roast extra beetroots when I'm baking bread or cake. The cooled down beetroots keep well at least for a week. The roasted beetroot comes in handy for so many different dishes.
- Replace chickpeas with beans of your choice.
- You can use canned chickpeas. I usually soak and cook a big batch and keep them in the fridge.
- Use salad leaves of your choice.
- Add herbs to the vinaigrette. I didn't add any as I added extra mint in the salad.
- Add a sweetener of your choice to the vinaigrette.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
September 30, 2021 at 2:48 am
I was looking for a lunchbox salad to get back to work with tomorrow. This salad sounds perfect as I do have beetroot and grapes at home. It will keep me full through the day too.
October 1, 2021 at 9:11 pm
Thank you so much Seema, am glad you were able to carry this salad for your lunch.
September 30, 2021 at 9:19 am
A very healthy and colorful salad . Love boiled beetroots for the rustic flavor it has and also chickpeas with mint and vinaigrette dressing in a salad makes it so yummy .
October 1, 2021 at 9:10 pm
Thank you so much Priya, makes a filling and healthy salad.
October 1, 2021 at 2:33 am
Wow! What a delight this amazing beetroot and grape Salad is. Easy to make and yet amazingly flavourful! I have some beets will check for grapes will make a great dinner with soup on the side. Thanks a lot.
October 1, 2021 at 9:09 pm
Thank you so much Archana, it definitely would make a love accompaniment to a soup. Perfect healthy dinner.
October 1, 2021 at 6:19 am
Beetroot grape salad is a good way to include beets in our diet. Loved the idea of roasting extra beet and keeping it.
October 1, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree.
September 8, 2022 at 11:46 am
This is a healthy and filling salad with chickpeas, grapes, and my favorite feta cubes. I also do have some fresh garden spinach leaves, would love to make this salad and try it.
September 8, 2022 at 3:39 pm
Thanks Renu, go ahead and give the salad a try. With fresh garden spinach am sure it is going to be so tasty.
September 8, 2022 at 6:14 pm
Fresh and refreshing salad. I always like fruits and vegetables mixed together in salads. These need a simple dressing and taste so good. I have never tried using sunflower seeds. Will do that next time.
September 12, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Thanks Shobha, I love a bit of crunch so add seeds and nuts whenever I can in salads. Try it, am sure you will love it.