Beetroot & Chocolate Mini Muffins
EVENT: SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM PARTY
RECIPE: BEETROOT & CHOCOLATE MINI MUFFINS
Beetroot & Chocolate Mini Muffins is a fun way to enjoy bite size soft, fudgy chocolate flavored beetroot muffins. Ideal for parties, topped with a cream cheese frosting, the muffins are so delicious. Adding cooked and pureed beetroot is a good way to sneak in this vegetable for kids.
Use less of cocoa powder, omit yogurt and you land up with Beetroot Red Velvet Muffins without adding any artificial food coloring. This muffin recipe is without any eggs. We had a very small tea party with some of my neighbours and I baked these mini muffins.
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
This week’s theme on Sunday Funday is pretty unusual but a fun theme. When Sue who blogs at Palatable Pastimes suggested ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Faerie Recipes as a Tribute to Oberon & Titania’, it immediately brought back school days memories when I couldn’t understand the weird Shakespearean writing. And we had Julius Caesar and A Midsummer Night’s Dream for Literature! It was like a mental block at that time trying to remember what the dialogues meant. But one I can remember from A Midsummer Night’s Dream – ” My Oberon what visions have I seen. Methought I was enamoured of an ass.”
Sue suggested “It’s Midsummer and the Faerie mischief is afoot. Let’s make a tribute to the fae ones with a recipe that will delight them.
Looking for: Love potions, faerie cakes, recipes using flowers or herbs, small bites, delicate desserts, or recipes that remind of fairy tales.”
Deciding what to make for the theme was a bit difficult initially and then I narrowed it down to two recipes, mini muffins or cakes or fairy bites. I would have loved to make fairy bites but just the mention of loads of sprinkles in a cookie, hubby was on a protest! But one day those bites will be on my tea time table 🙂
I don’t regret making these cute little muffins. A good way to enjoy a sweet treat and not over indulge but taking care of my sweet tooth.
Recipes For Midsummer Night’s Dream Party:
- Rose Flavored Mini Cupcakes mini cupcakes with rose liqueur and rose syrup.
- Mango Marble Mini Bundt Cakes – so tasty, mango and chocolate surprisingly pair well.
- Chocolate Truffles stuffed with pomegranate.
- No Bake Chocolate Swiss Roll – not a cake but an easy to make chocolate recipe with orange flavour.
- Easy to make and so yummy – Chocolate Coated Strawberries
- Coconut Chocolate – sprinkled with gold sugar- perfect for fairies.
- Passion Fruit & Tree Tomato Ice Cream – summery colour and flavour
- Vanilla Pudding – mini dessert, easy to make and delish.
- Watermelon Mousse – light, airy and beautiful
- Haupia – Hawaiian Coconut Dessert
- Lemongrass and Ginger Jelly – light, flavorful and perfect for the hot summer.
- Lavender Lemon Panna Cotta with Lemon Curd – refreshing and light.
- Lemon and Lavender Scones – perfect for a midsummer tea party
- Lavender and Lemon Biscotti – flavorful sweet treat
Sunday Funday – A Midsummer Night’s Dream:
Faerie Recipes as a Tribute to Oberon & Titania
- Magical Cookie Bars by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Butterfly Cupcakes by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Chocolate Pixies by Food Lust People Love
- Magical Meringue Mushrooms: Queen Mab’s Dining Table by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pixie Stix Candy Straws by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Lavender Mini Cheesecakes by Making Miracles
- Beetroot & Chocolate Mini Muffins by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Fruity Birthday Cake by Sneha’s Recipe
Ingredients Required For Beetroot & Chocolate Mini Muffins
- Flour – I have used wheat pastry flour(atta we normally use for rotis) but you can use all purpose flour if you wish.
- Sugar – use white, coconut or brown sugar. I used normal caster sugar.
- Beetroot Puree – easy to make it at home. Boil, peel and puree the beetroot or roast it in the oven before making the puree.
- Plain Yogurt – and thick.
- Oil – any vegetable oil. I’ve used sunflower oil.
- Vanilla Extract – Use 1 tsp vanilla extract. I didn’t have any so I processed a small vanilla pod with some sugar.
- Salt – to balance out the flavors.
- Cocoa Powder – unsweetened.
- Bicarbonate of Soda – baking soda, soda bicarbonate.
- Baking Powder
- Plain Cream Cheese – for the frosting
- Butter – for the frosting
- Powdered Sugar – icing sugar, confectioners sugar.
- Some Funfetti and Gold Sprinkle Balls – for topping
Beetroot & Chocolate Mini Muffins
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup beetroot puree
- ¼ cup plain yogurt thick
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
For The Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ cup cream cheese plain
- ½ cup icing sugar
- gold ball sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Arrange mini cake cups on a baking tray.
- Using a sieve, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, add beetroot puree, yogurt, sugar, vanilla and oil.
- Whisk them together.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture.
- Whisk till the flour mixture is incorporated into the wet mixture. Don't over mix.
- Using two teaspoons, fill the mini cups with the batter, ¾ of the way.
- Bake the mini muffins for 10 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in the middle of one muffin. If it comes out clean then the muffins are ready.
- Take the tray out of the oven. Allow th muffins to cool down completely.
Preparation Of The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Add softened butter, cream cheese and icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the mixture till it is soft and fluffy.
- Pipe some frosting on the beetroot chocolate muffins.
- Scatter some sprinkle on all. Serve.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
June 20, 2021 at 4:39 pm
These little one bite muffins look delicious and are perfect for this theme.
June 22, 2021 at 11:13 am
Thank you so much Wendy.
June 21, 2021 at 2:01 am
Tell your husband he’s a spoilsport and sprinkles make everything better! Especially cookies. Meanwhile, your mini muffins are delightful!
June 22, 2021 at 11:12 am
Thank you so much Stacy and am sure hubby will have cookies with sprinkles without complaining when I make them.
Rebekah R Hills
June 21, 2021 at 8:43 pm
I love that you managed to add some healthy veggie puree into these whimsical treats!
June 22, 2021 at 11:53 am
Thank you so much Rebekah.
June 29, 2021 at 12:58 pm
Nice muffins! It look yummy and your instructions are also easy to follow.
June 29, 2021 at 5:27 pm
Thank you so much and there is a video too.
July 21, 2021 at 8:16 pm
Beetroot chocolate muffins looks so good. The addition of beetroot makes it healthy and gives a unique flavour to it. Would love to try this one soon.
July 21, 2021 at 9:36 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree. Please do try the recipe, muffins are so soft and delicious.
January 16, 2022 at 5:07 pm
Love these tiny muffins. I have never tried using beetroot in my desserts. Must try these for my hubby. He is a great muffin fan.
January 17, 2022 at 1:16 pm
Thank you so much Shobha. I love using beetroot for desserts, have made beetroot halwa and also ice cream. Adding beetroot to the muffins makes them softer.
January 18, 2022 at 3:08 am
Wow Mayuri – another gem from your kitchen. Love beetroot but my husband doesn’t so this is a good way of using beetroot without telling him!! I love the recipe as its using wheat flour and it’s eggfree too.
January 19, 2022 at 2:48 pm
Thank you so much Mina. Yes it is a good way to get fussy kids and adults to enjoy beetroot. Also when you add less cocoa powder, it appears red like red velevet cake but without all the artificial colouring.
January 19, 2022 at 4:51 am
Oh my my my !! U got me all into fairy tales now (never mind the spelling) , such cute n nutrition packed pick me ups these beet choco muffins are. Perfect for a celebration ..
January 19, 2022 at 2:42 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani. Agree with you, they are perfect for any celebration.
January 24, 2022 at 12:06 am
This is a pleasent way to hide some beets for those who hate the colour. Luckily I have beet lovers in the house so I should be able to easily get them to have some.
January 25, 2022 at 5:53 pm
It is a good way to enjoy beet and sneak it into a sweet treat for kids and some adults too.