15. mexican salad
a meal on its own
Writing about the virtues of a salad is just not enough. You have got to make it and serve it to believe it. Besides providing you with all the healthy nutrients, its a tummy filler, so you eat less of the main meal, its a perfect light meal on its own, very refreshing on a hot summer day etc etc. I could just carry on and forget to give you the recipe of the salad. What makes salads appealing are the colours. Let your imagination run riot and create art on a platter. Colours, colours and colours and everyone will be asking for more salad.
Serves 4, for 2 as a meal.
salad ingredients :
6 lettuce leaves, any of your choice torn into big pieces
1/2 cup boiled red kidney beans
1/2 cup grated carrot
1 big tomato cut into chunks or about 12 cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup boiled or roasted corn kernels
1/4 cup of roasted and chopped pepper (use either red, yellow or orange)
1/4 cup chopped spring onion
1/4 cup tiny cubes of cheddar cheese
2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander or cilantro
1 tsp roasted cumin seeds
10 tortilla chips
2 tbsps of thick tomato puree
1 clove of garlic. Make into a paste.
2 tbsps olive oil
1tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
salt and pepper according to your taste
- Roast the cumin seeds in a pan over low heat, stirring it constantly till it starts to turn brown.
- To roast a pepper, cut it into half. Remove the seeds and stalk. Smear the top part with olive oil. Place it on a baking sheet, cut side down and let it bake for 20 minutes in an oven at the temperature of 180°C or until spots appear on the skin of the pepper. Let it cool and then remove the skin and chop into cubes.
- Mix all the salad ingredients into a bowl. Add the tortilla chips.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in another bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately or serve the dressing on the side.
- Can use raw pepper if you like.
- Instead of spring onions can use white onion.
- use cheese of your choice.
- If you don’t like the taste of vinegar, use lemon juice.