355. spinach corn quiche
made in a jiffy
Usually, making lunch is not a problem as I stick to dal, sabzi, roti 4 times a week with something different twice a week and Sunday lunch is usually out. So the whole week is sorted out but dinners can become a bit of a problem when I am not making soup and salad. Recently I landed up with loads of spinach (went mad at the veggie market last Tuesday) and so it was a week of spinach with practically everything. I had made crustless quiche when I was in Montreal. Made it again several times, but this time instead of baking it in a big dish, I made individual portions by using muffin cups and my, they turned out cute. I found that unlike the one baked in a big dish, where sometimes the middle is slightly soggy, these little beauties baked well all around. Just out of the oven, they make a perfect light meal with salad or as perfect party food or to carry away for picnics or even for breakfast. I like to make the quiche without the crust. If you like, you can use shortcrust pastry to make it.
SPINACH CORN QUICHE
3 cups chopped fresh spinach
½ cup finely chopped onion
½ cup cooked sweet corn
¼ cup grated cheese of your choice
½ tsp garlic paste
½ tsp ginger paste
½-1 tsp green chilli paste
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp milk
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper powder
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and chilli and stir fry for 30 seconds or less.
- Add chopped onion and spinach and stir fry till the spinach wilts.
- Take the pan off the heat and let the spinach mixture cool down a bit.
- Add ¼ tsp salt, cheese, and sweet corn to it and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Whisk the eggs with milk, remaining salt and pepper.
- Add it to the spinach mixture and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups three quarter full.
- Put it in the oven to bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- The quiche is done when you insert a toothpick or fork in the middle of the baked quiche and it comes out clean.
- Serve with salad , garlic bread, soup etc.
- Instead of sweet corn, use steamed or cooked mixed vegetables, mushroom, meat etc.
- Can add chopped olives.
- Use fresh herbs.
- Can use cheddar, mozzarella or paneer (cottage cheese).
- Bake in an oven proof dish if you do not have muffin cups.
|spinach cheddar bread|
Sending this recipe for the following events: