285. quick kulfi
Its mango again!
I love making kulfis and yet again it was mango kulfi. When mangoes are found everywhere in Mombasa, I just don’t seem to see any other fruit. The previous 2 kulfi recipes have been different. I made one with evaporated milk and fresh cream. The other one was with mawa (solid milk) and this one is using fresh cream and sweet condensed milk. It is a much quicker method than the mawa one and tastes equally good. Kulfi making has never been easier. For this recipe I used mango puree but you can use any fresh fruit puree of your choice. I served this kulfi with some passion fruit pulp and the sweet and tangy taste was heavenly. I have not used any artificial colours thus the dull pale yellow colour of the kulfi.
Makes about 6
2 cups full fat milk
¼ cup milk powder
½ cup sweet condensed milk
¼ cup sugar
1 cup thick fresh mango pulp
½ cup fresh double cream
1 tsp cardamom powder or ginger powder
3 passion fruits or chopped fresh mango
- Mix the milk, milk powder, condensed milk and sugar in a deep pan. Place the pan over medium heat and bring it to a boil. Stir the mixture occasionally so that it does not burn at the bottom.
- Lower the heat and let the milk mixture simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. It should become thick. Remember to stir it occasionally.
- Let the mixture cool down completely.
- Whip the cream till it is fluffy.
- Add the mango pulp, whipped cream and the flavouring to the cold milk mixture.
- Mix well and pour it into kulfi moulds.
- Freeze till the kulfi sets.
- Just before serving prepare the topping. Remove the pulp from the passion fruit or chop the mangoes.
- To serve, run the kulfi mould under tap water for a few seconds. Run the knife around the edges and the kulfi comes out easily. Slice it and add the topping.
- Serve immediately.
- If the mango is really sweet then reduce the amount of sugar.
- I prefer using a non stick pan for preparing kulfi mixtures.
- If you don’t have kulfi moulds, freeze the mixture in small plastic cups or in small clay pots. Cover the top with foil and put a rubber band around it to avoid any crystals from forming on top. You can serve the kulfi in the containers itself.
- Use other fresh fruit pulps instead of mango e.g. custard apple, chikoos, strawberries, pineapple etc.
- Add flavourings of your choice.
|kesar badam pista kulfi|