Garlic bread was a common fare in our house when the kids were young. Garlic bread with pasta, soup, at parties, dinners etc. I must have bought loaves of french bread to make garlic bread. Usually we required about 2 loaves just for the family. A few days ago, when I went to Nakumatt and passed the bread section, the loaves of french bread were just being stacked by the baker and I couldn’t resist buying one. Made garlic bread after such a long time and really enjoyed it with some fresh tomato soup. Missed the kids too, so much. Wish they were here. I find garlic bread as one of the most comforting food after chocolate of course. Very few can resist garlic bread.
16 to 18 Slices depending on the length of the french bread
2 tbsp soft butter
3 to 4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 to 2 tsp garlic paste
¼ tsp salt
1 french bread (I used a 20 inch loaf)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the bread three quarter way into thick slices. Remember not to cut all the way through.
- Mix the ingredients for the garlic butter well.
- Take about half a teaspoon of the garlic butter and spread it between the first two slices.
- Continue till all the slices have been buttered.
- Spread the remaining butter over the top of the loaf.
- Cover the loaf with foil.
- Place it in the hot oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, the top of the loaf will be crunchy and the inside soft.
- Serve immediately.
- Add about a teaspoon of green chilli paste if you like.
- I prefer to use both butter an olive oil. You can use only butter if you like. Just increase the amount.
- Another method of making the garlic bread is to cut the loaf into thick slices. Toast one side of the slices. Turn the slices over, spread garlic butter over it and let it toast till crunchy and light brown.
- Adjust the amount of garlic according to your taste.
- Store leftover garlic butter in an airtight container. Cover the container with foil or put it in a ziploc bag to avoid garlic smell in the fridge.
- For single serves, use a hot dog bun and slice it horizontally.
You may want to check out the following:
|coriander garlic crispy bread
Sending this recipe to the following event :