Mango Sriracha Hummus
THEME: #236 HUMMUS TIME
RECIPE: MANGO SRIRACHA HUMMUS
Mango Sriracha Hummus is a slightly sweetish and spicy dip that is best enjoyed with vegetables, pita chips or crackers.
What is Hummus?
An integral part of the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Cuisine, Hummus is a dip, spread or sauce that traditionally is made from chickpeas, lemon, garlic and tahini. Made into a smooth paste or sauce depending how its going to be used, hummus these days is readily available in the supermarkets.
The Main Ingredients For Hummus Are:
- Boiled Chickpeas, the white variety
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
Its that simple to make hummus. So why buy ready made ones which have preservatives and artificial food additives?
How to use Hummus?
- Spread on sandwiches, wraps, burgers
- Drizzle as a sauce over meat, chicken, fish, etc. It tastes really good with roasted vegetables and quinoa.
- Replace butter with hummus on your morning toast or savoury pancake
- Serve it with vegetables sticks, pita chips, bread sticks, chips, etc as a dip
- Have you added hummus to your soup? Go on try it. I love hummus added to my cauliflower soup or mushroom soup
- Enjoy it as a dressing with your favorite salad
Is Hummus Healthy?
Rich in plant based protein, it also has high content of dietary fibre which helps you to not only fill full but helps the digestive system to function well. Along with olive oil and sesame seeds, it has anti inflammatory properties. Hummus also helps to maintain good blood sugar levels. Good for the heart and also helps in weight loss.
As this wonderful low fat dip, dressing, sauce, spread gained popularity world over, variations to the basic hummus took birth. Flavors are varied by:
- Adding fresh herbs like coriander, mint, parsley, etc
- Different beans like kidney beans, white beans, moong beans, black beans, green peas, yellow peas, brown chickpeas, etc replace white chickpeas
- Including vegetables like beetroot, kale, spinach, roasted bell pepper, pumpkin, sweet potato, zucchini, onion, carrots, aubergine, mushrooms, etc
- Fruits which added to the hummus like strawberries, peach, mango, tomato, avocado, olives, etc
- Addition of nuts and seeds
- Preparing Sweet hummus to serve as a healthy dessert with fresh fruits, crackers, pita chips, cookies, etc. To the basic hummus recipe, chocolate, caramel, coffee, fruit puree, jams are added.
My Hummus Recipe:
Must admit, I’ve yet to post a basic hummus recipe on my blog, but I really wanted to try out the mango hummus ever since I had it for the first time in US. However, I guess a separate basic hummus post is not required as one can omit adding mango to it. Also, I could not find tahini in the supermarket and decided to use sesame seeds. After all, tahini is nothing but sesame seed paste. During my trip to US, my sister in law gifted me with a bottle of the delicious sriracha powder, yes powder and not in the sauce form. I used that to give the unique flavour of sriracha. Anyway, who doesn’t enjoy the flavour of mango with red chili powder?
I’m grateful to Kalyani for suggesting this theme as it allowed us to enjoy this slightly sweetish and chilli hummus with vegetables and crackers. Check out Kalyani’s Indian Spice Roasted Carrot Hummus, looks so tempting.
FoodieMonday is a group of 12 enthusiastic food blogger who prepare a dish for every Monday based on a chosen theme. This group allows each one of us to come out from our comfort zone to explore new cuisines and new dishes according to the themes suggested.
Some Hummus Recipes that you may want to check out:
- Hema likes making Kali Gajar Hummus whenever black carrots are in season.
- Poonam’s Beet Hummus made with roasted beetroot not only looks pretty but is an awesome way to include beetroot in your diet.
- Renu’s Golden Turmeric Hummus is an excellent way to enjoy turmeric.
- And I’ve got to try this Chocolate Dessert Hummus by Archana
- Swaty’s Sweet and Spicy Carrot Hummus with a bit of orange marmalade sounds super delicious.
- Gluten Free
- For Satvik version don’t add garlic
- A good replacement for butter, mayonnaise, jam etc when one is dieting
MANGO SRIRACHA HUMMUS
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked
- ½ cup ripe mango chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sriracha powder
- ¾ - 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- extra olive oil
- some sriracha powder
- Add all the ingredients in a food processor except sriracha powder.
- Process till you get a soft and creamy paste.
- Add sriracha powder and mix well.
- Remove the hummus from the food processor into a serving bowl.
- Drizzle extra olive oil and sprinkle some sriracha powder and chill it in the fridge till required.
- Adjust the flavors according to your taste.
- This dip will be a little bit more liquid because of the mango puree.
- For a more thicker paste add ½ cup more of chickpeas. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Hummus can be stored in the fridge for a week.
- I prefer making small batches of hummus, not only its better to consume it fresh but you can have a variation in flavour too.
- Use hummus as a dip, sauce, spread, dressing etc, its that versatile.
- If you don't have sriracha powder, then replace it with cayenne powder.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
Hem lata srivastava
March 2, 2020 at 5:23 pm
Very innovative way to preparing hummus Mayuri. Would love to try it.
March 2, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Thank you so much Hem Lata, please try out when the mango season begins in India.
March 2, 2020 at 6:12 pm
So glad you could make this and enjoy a delicious sriracha topped hummus ! The mango is such a unique flavour , I can’t wait to try it during the mango season here ..
March 2, 2020 at 7:42 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani.
March 3, 2020 at 4:09 am
I love the easily spreadable consistency of this mango hummus. With Sriracha it must have tasted great. Can’t wait for the Mango season to begin here to try out this flavorful hummus .
March 4, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Thanks you so much Poonam. Hope you enjoy it when you try the recipe out.
The Girl Next Door
March 3, 2020 at 7:25 am
I tried Mango Sriracha Hummus last year, during mango season, and absolutely loved its sweet-tangy-spicy taste. Yours looks so very flavourful and inviting!
Loved the way you have outlined the various ways to use hummus.
March 4, 2020 at 9:00 pm
Thank you so much Priya.
March 4, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Thank you so much Swaty, that’s how I thought of trying out the recipe at home as I had tasted a store bought one in US.
March 6, 2020 at 1:46 pm
Now I know what I am telling my sis in law to bring from US… sriracha powder.
Now mango hummus… love it. I have never tried different kinds of hummus basically because I can’t eat it much n I hate wasting food. Now that I know hubby is liking it I will definitely try them on him.
March 6, 2020 at 9:36 pm
Thanks Archana, sriracha powder is a good condiment. It has all the flavours of the sauce. And yes treat you r hubby to a variety of hummus.
March 8, 2020 at 9:23 am
I am in love this innovative hummus recipe. Bookmarking it to make it soon. Never heard of Sriracha in powder form. Sounds so cool. Simple ingredients to make this absolutely lip smacking recipe. I will try with sri racha sauce.
March 9, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Thanks Preethi, I too didn’t know that it exists in powder form till my sister in law bought for me when we were in US. Tastes good and sprinkle it on so many dishes.
Batter Up With Sujata
March 10, 2020 at 6:24 am
Mayuri I can’t explain you how I love this recipe and presentation. First of all hummus looks beautiful. Mango sriracha powder wow I can imagine the hot and sweet mouthwatering taste. Loved your detailed suggestions for using hummus in different ways. I wish I could taste a little right now.
March 11, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Thank you so much Sujata, the sweetness and chili does goes together so well especially with mangoes.
March 16, 2020 at 1:07 am
I love the classic hummus and somehow never got to try the variations. But this mango sriracha one sounds way to tempting for me to try.
March 16, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Thanks Sapana, please do try it.
March 16, 2020 at 4:14 am
What an interesting hummus recipe this is. Never had mango in hummus, but after looking at your pics and reading your post – I want to try it right away 🙂 It looks delicious and soo inviting.
March 16, 2020 at 3:02 pm
Thanks Pavani, please do try it out, it has a unique flavour and is delicious.
March 18, 2020 at 8:40 am
Thinking of making hummus for quite a long time but somehow couldn’t. Today your post pushed me to make it sooner. You have beautifully brought the entire knowledge that what hummus is all about at one platform.
Such a beautiful and helpful post it is.
March 18, 2020 at 9:58 pm
Thank you so much Shailender and hope you have tried out a hummus recipe.
May 19, 2021 at 4:42 am
I love the flavour and taste of sriracha. Hummus looks wonderful. I can imagine the hot and sweet mixed taste. I have sriracha sauce hope I can use it in hummus instead of sriracha powder. Can’t wait to try this super yummy dip with mango and sriracha.
May 19, 2021 at 9:36 pm
Thank you so much Sujata, yes you can use the sauce. I only have the powder and the sauce is not readily available here.
March 17, 2020 at 9:51 pm
We are crazy about hummus in our home and the mango sriracha combination sounds delectable!
March 18, 2020 at 9:59 pm
Thanks Sandhya, if you like the taste of mango and chili then this is definitely for you.
March 18, 2020 at 9:49 pm
Simply cant take my eyes from that delicious classic mango hummus, I’ve never tasted mango in hummus.. my mouth is just watering here. Who can resist to this beautiful dish.
March 18, 2020 at 9:56 pm
Thanks Jolly, it tastes really good, try the recipe.
March 19, 2020 at 12:27 pm
I am a big fan of hummus as it’s a great source of protein and other nutritional benefits. I have had the avocado and red pepper hummus but never tried this mango sriracha one. I can well sense it’s lovely flavours and that perfect blend of sweetness and spiciness. Yummy!! And a Great share!!
March 19, 2020 at 11:14 pm
Thank you so much Anshu, if you’re a big fan of mango and chili like me then you’ll love this hummus.
March 19, 2020 at 9:45 pm
I always enjoy hummus and the colour of your hummus platter is so vibrant that it’s difficult to resist myself… lovely capture
March 19, 2020 at 11:13 pm
Thank you so much Amrita. Try out this mango one, you may enjoy it.
Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey
March 20, 2020 at 11:53 am
We all loved it when we made mango and chilli hummus a couple of years back, a delicious way to enjoy hummus with exotic flavours.
March 20, 2020 at 2:08 pm
A few weeks back made it again for my aunt’s neighbor and they loved it.
March 20, 2020 at 4:44 pm
I love hummus but never tried with mango in it. Should make it sometime, looks tasty and it will be a nice change too.
March 20, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Thanks Jayashree, if you like mango and chilli then you’ll love this recipe. Try it.
Sasmita Sahoo Samanta
March 31, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Mango Sriracha Hummus looks so creamy and delicious Mayuri di ! It seems bit spicy and must be slightly tangy. Mango season are coming and this I will try 😉
March 31, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Thanks Sasmita, the hummus is not too spicy, just a hint of the spiciness.
April 4, 2020 at 8:02 pm
Mango Sriracha hummus looks super tempting Mayuri. I have always made basic and simple hummus and this one is tempting me to make it again.
And beautiful clicks.
April 4, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Thank you so much Lata and hope you’ll try the recipe.
May 16, 2021 at 12:45 am
What a lovely and different flavoured hummus you have presented. The combination of flavours must be so good,. Slightly sweet and a a bit spicy. I never knew sriracha is also available in the powder form. I must try this one soon.
May 16, 2021 at 10:37 am
Such a delightful hummus recipe with a fusion of sweet and spicy ingredients. We jus love hummus and this one will be tried outsoon while the mango season is on. I never knew that Sriracha is also available in the powder form. Will check itout online.
May 16, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Thank you so much Shobha, I too had no idea about getting Sriracha in powder form till my sister in law gifted it to me.
May 17, 2021 at 10:31 am
Love the smooth velvety texture look of your hummus. Looks almost like whipped cream with mangoes. The addition of mango and sriricha to the usual chickpeas hummus is a great idea to get a sweet, savory and spicy taste.
May 17, 2021 at 6:58 pm
Thank you so much Mina and yes it had all those flavors going on together.
May 17, 2021 at 7:49 pm
Love the mango flavoured hummus with hint of siracha. perfect for snacking with chips, nachos .. will even love to try it as spread for sandwiches.
May 18, 2021 at 5:21 pm
Thank you Swati, that is a good idea to use it as a sandwich spread.
May 20, 2021 at 9:15 am
I love this mango sriracha hummus! The taste is absolutely amazing even at the thought of the hummus I am salivating. Loved it.
May 21, 2021 at 9:49 pm
Thank you so much Archana.