257. eggless coffee and cream muffins
three birthdays on the same day
A very happy birthday to my little sister Sapna, to my niece Pooja and nephew Sheel. So easy to remember… one day. Hope you guys had a whale of a time. This gave me an opportunity to try out my eggless coffee muffins. Sapna loves her coffee so coffee muffins it had to be. Though you 3 would have to travel all the way to Mombasa to try them out. Still a few left so hurry. They actually tasted better today, as now we can actually taste the coffee. Ajay made a lovely mug of coffee to go with the muffins…. typical indian style of coffee… nice and milky! I loved it. With fresh cream on top, its a wonderful dessert idea, light and yet refreshing. The recipe calls for 1 cup plus 2 tbsps of flour as I did not add cocoa powder to it. If you wish, add 2 tbsps of cocoa instead of flour but that will mask the coffee taste. Couldn’t blog this recipe yesterday as we had power problems.
EGGLESS COFFEE AND CREAM MUFFINS
1 cup + 2 tbsp plain flour (all purpose flour)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
2 tbsp instant coffee
a big pinch of salt
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup hot milk
¼ cup yogurt
½ cup oil
1 cup of fresh cream (cold)
2 tbsp powdered sugar
handful of chopped roasted hazelnuts
- Add coffee to the hot milk and mix it well. Let it become a bit cool.
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tray with paper cups.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl add the sugar, milk, yogurt and oil. Whisk it till it appears a bit creamy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix it gently till the flour becomes wet. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the cups three quarter of the way.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes till done. Insert a toothpick or fork into the middle of the muffin. If it comes out clean, they are ready.
- Remove the muffins from the tray and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Pour the cold cream and sugar into a deep pan or bowl.
- Whisk it with a hand whisk or and electric beater till it is fluffy and slightly stiff.
- Put spoonfuls of cream on the muffins or pipe it using a piping bag.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over it and serve.
- Add ½ cup of roasted hazelnuts to the batter.
- Sprinkle coffee powder over the cream instead of nuts.
- Use any nuts of your choice.
- Let the muffins coll down completely before you add the fresh cream otherwise the cream will start to melt.
|eggless coconut cupcakes