EVENT: SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: IT’S COFFEE TIME
RECIPE: MOCHA MUFFINS
Mocha Muffins are moist, coffee flavoured, full of walnuts and choco chips with a crusty top. Perfect muffins to enjoy with your morning coffee or as an afternoon snack.
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
THEME: IT’S COFFEE TIME
This lovely theme is suggested by Renu. She blogs at Cook With Renu and she wanted us to share a recipe where we’ve used coffee. While, I love coffee, I realized that I really don’t have that many coffee recipes on my blog. There are quite a few recipes with coffee that I want to try out.
A few days ago, hubby requested that I bake some muffins. Hadn’t baked some in a long time so jumped at the idea and decided to give an old recipe some new life. These Mocha Muffins are a perfect balance of flavours, from the chocolate and coffee. The first time I baked these muffins, using instant coffee, we could not taste the coffee at all. Second time round I brewed some strong coffee and it worked well. I’ve also used espresso coffee and it tastes awesome.
When it comes to coffee, Kenya is blessed with some awesome aromatic coffee that grows on the Highlands. The rich volcanic soil and high rainfall is best for the Arabica variety.
Some Recipes With Coffee That I Love:
Check out how fellow members of Sunday Funday have used coffee:
Recipes with Coffee
- Affogato Martini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Coffee Maple Pancakes by Palatable Pastime
- Lamb Lollipops with Coffee-Pepper Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cold Brew Coffee by Making Miracles
- Dalgona Coffee by Sneha’s Recipe
- Gingerbread Latte by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Mocha Muffins by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- No-Bake Coffee Energy Bites by Cook with Renu
- Sugar Free Hazelnut Iced Coffee with Hazelnut Cold Foam by Our Good Life
The first time I baked Mocha Muffins was for my sister’s birthday and published it on 21/04/2013. My sister is a coffee lover and actually uses a large soup cup as her coffee cup in the mornings. Though I couldn’t share these muffins with her as she is an ocean apart from me, my family celebrated her birthday by enjoying the muffins.
In fact for us 20th April is a triple celebration as my hubby’s niece and nephew too are born on the same day.
What is Mocha?
Though Mocha means different things in different parts of the world, basically mocha is a shot of espresso with chocolate powder or chocolate syrup. Either milk or cream is added to it.
It is believed that the drink is named after the mocha coffee bean. These beans are shipped from Al Mokka in Yemen. These coffee beans naturally have a chocolatey flavour. However, these days mocha is a drink not necessarily from the mocha bean but a coffee with chocolate.
Ingredients Required For Mocha Muffins
- Wheat Flour – I’ve used normal wheat flour (atta) that I use for making roti. You can use wheat pastry flour. Can replace wheat flour with plain or all purpose flour. However, reduce the liquid by 2 -3 tbsp.
- Cocoa Powder – unsweetened
- Brewed Coffee – make the coffee strong or use espresso. Allow the brewed coffee to cool down. Or alternately, add ground coffee to ½ cup cold water. Leave the mixture overnight. Next day strain and use the cold brewed coffee.
- Cinnamon Powder
- Soda Bicarbonate – baking soda
- Salt – don’t add if you use salted butter.
- Unsalted Butter – take 1 stick or 113g. Melt it. I melted it in the microwave oven.
- Brown Sugar – or powdered jaggery
- White Sugar – granulated. Or substitute with brown sugar.
- Egg – large. If you don’t want to use egg then replace it with ¼ cup plain thick yogurt.
- Milk – I have used dairy milk. Can replace it with whipping cream.
- Yogurt – thick plain yogurt. Make sure it is not watery.
- Walnuts – chopped. Can replace with any other nuts of your choice.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips – or use any dark chocolate and chop it up into small pieces.
- Vanilla Extract
Please Check Out The Video:
- 1½ cups wheat flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp soda bicarbonate
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup semi sweet choco chips
- ⅓ cup espresso or strong coffee cold
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup plain yogurt thick
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift flour, soda bicarbonate, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon powder together into a mixing bowl.
- Take another mixing bowl. Add the sugars, coffee, egg, milk, yogurt, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Whisk lightly to mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Mix just enough till the flour is incorporated into the wet ingredients. Don’t over mix.
- Fold in the chopped nuts and choco chips.
- Fill cake cups with the batter, three quarter of the way.
- Use large or medium ones. If you use large ones, you will get 6-7 muffins. If you use medium ones you will get 12 muffins.
- Bake large muffins for 30-35 minutes and medium ones for 20-25 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick or small knife in the middle of a muffin. It should come out clean if the muffins are baked.
- Remove the muffins from the oven.
- Allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- If you use large cake cups like I have then you'll get 6-7 muffins. If you use medium cake cups then you'll get 12 muffins.
- Baking time will vary according to the size of the cake cups you use.
- Replace nuts with chocolate chips.
- To replace the egg for eggless version add ¼ cup plain yogurt.
- If you use plain or all purpose flour then reduce milk to ⅓ cup.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
April 22, 2013 at 4:09 am
Those look so yummy!!! I also want some!
Bless my food by Payal
October 2, 2021 at 1:44 pm
This recipe is truly a delight for the coffee lovers. Muffins are so inviting and literally watering my mouth. Will definitely trying this recipe.
October 2, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Thank you so much Shailender. If you want to try out the egg free version, replace the egg with 1/4 cup yogurt.
April 25, 2013 at 9:24 am
bake them dear.
September 26, 2021 at 7:58 am
I love mocha too and these muffins have my name all over them.
September 26, 2021 at 6:22 pm
Thank you so much Wendy..
September 28, 2021 at 4:06 am
I am a huge fan of coffee and especially the dark and these mocha muffins using 1/3 cup of expresso, I am in heaven with these muffins. These mocha muffins look super tempting. Wish I could just get one.
September 28, 2021 at 2:23 pm
Thank you so much Renu, the muffins turned out really good with espresso.
September 28, 2021 at 7:45 am
I love how coffee and chocolate are such a perfect complement and make a yum muffin!
September 28, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Love these coffee flavored muffins
I like to feel the slight bitterness of coffee in the muffins and your recipe sounds perfect with sweetness not overpowering so as to cut the bitterness
September 28, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Thank you so much Priya with freshly brewed coffee one can control how strong or weak it is. SO no issue with bitter taste.
September 29, 2021 at 3:25 am
Mocha muffins look soft, spongy and delectable. It makes a lovely treat for my children.
September 29, 2021 at 5:57 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree.
September 30, 2021 at 1:26 am
Although I don’t drink Coffee (at all :p yeah !!), I somehow like coffee bakes . These perfectly made Mocha muffins would make their day for my kids. Bookmarking to try an eggless version soon !
October 1, 2021 at 9:12 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani, hope your kids love it. I’ve tried the egg free version and it turns out good.
October 5, 2021 at 4:00 am
Mocha muffins look soft, spongy and delicious as well. I love adding coffee in my baked often, so this looks perfect to try. It makes a lovely treat for my coffee loving family.
October 7, 2021 at 9:36 pm
Thank you so much Lata. Please do give this recipe a try for your coffee loving family.
October 7, 2021 at 3:36 am
Mocha muffins texture looks perfect and everyone will love this flavor. The best part of the recipe, it does not contain refined flour and it’s eggless. Beautifully explained about mocha.
October 7, 2021 at 9:33 pm
Thank you so much Amrita, though I have used egg, I have also given as a tip how to make it egg free.
October 7, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Wholesome mocha muffins- my favorite! A blissful combination indeed. I will try out this muffins recipe with egg version. I would rather bake them as small muffins so that they can last longer. Muffins seem to be our family favorite and a good proxy for weekend breakfast too . They would be thrilled at this recipe.
October 13, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Thank you so much Neha, I sometimes bake smaller versions so they last longer but this time round when I made them tried the larger version. Hubby and I landed up sharing one 🙂
October 12, 2021 at 1:29 am
The muffins look perfect for evening break. I am going to make some and take to work too as the girls will enjoy a break with it.
October 13, 2021 at 8:17 pm
Thank you so much Seema. Hope the girls love the mocha muffins.
October 12, 2021 at 3:09 am
Thank you Mayuriji for sharing such a wonderful recipe. I have only started baking a few months ago and this is the second recipe for muffins that I have tried. I was a bit hesitant but then decided to give it a try.
I tried the eggless version with roti flour and it was just perfect, everyone loved it.
Thank you once again. 🙏🏼
Please share a recipe for blueberry muffins if you do have, eggless version please 😊
October 13, 2021 at 8:16 pm
Bindiya I am so happy that you tried out my mocha muffin recipe. And that too an eggless version. I have a fresh strawberry muffin recipe where you can easily replace them with blueberries. https://mayuris-jikoni.com/2021/02/05/strawberry-choco-chip-cupcakes/ this recipe is with atta flour and eggless. Add whole blueberries instead of the strawberries.
October 17, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Thank you Mayuriji, I am all set to try your strawberry chocolate chip cup cake today, will let you know how it turns out.
Thank you once again 🙏🏼
October 19, 2021 at 3:07 pm
October 22, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Mocha muffins look inviting mayuri ji! Coffee and chocolate what a delectable combo! Love the addition of nuts and chocolate! I bet these gorgeous muffins will be a great hit with both kids and adults!!!
October 23, 2021 at 7:31 pm
Thank you so much Priya. They always are a hit with my friends and family.
how to make a mocha coffee? – Coffee Tea Room
May 3, 2022 at 5:36 pm
[…] Mocha Muffins – Mayuri’s Jikoni […]
how to make coffee mocha? – The coffee around
May 28, 2022 at 8:54 pm
[…] Mocha Muffins – Mayuri’s Jikoni […]
what is affogato coffee? – Coffee Tea Room
July 5, 2022 at 12:17 pm
[…] Mocha Muffins – Mayuri’s Jikoni […]