206. a cool treat on a hot day
Ice-creams, kulfis, sorbets are all welcome on a hot day. It is extremely hot these days in Mombasa and we are ever so often making a bee line for the fridge… cold water, cold drink, cold desserts etc. All sugar you may say, but on hot days the body is not satisfied till something sugary goes down the throat. After feeling cool for say, 5 to 10 minutes go on a guilt trip…. worked out this morning or haven’t worked out and have consumed sugar, fat etc etc. Oh well, couldn’t resist sharing this yummy kulfi recipe. Its not the quick condensed milk version, this is the real thing with mawa and boiled milk. Kulfi is usually a good ending to a spicy meal or any chaat dish.
KESAR BADAM PISTA KULFI
2 litres of full fat milk
1½ cups grated mawa (solidified milk)
¾ cup sugar
10 to 12 almonds
10 to 12 pistachios
½ tsp cardamom powder (elachi)
¼ tsp nutmeg powder (jaiphal)
¼ tsp saffron
- Put milk in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and let the milk simmer till it becomes half the quantity. I let the milk simmer on low heat for half an hour.
- Add grated mawa and sugar to the reduced milk. Mix and let it simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- By now you should have a thick mixture.
- Let it cool a bit and then whisk it with a hand blender.
- Process the almonds and pistachios in a food processor to get a coarse or fine powder.
- Add the powder to the milk along with the cardamom, nutmeg powders and saffron.
- Let the mixture become cold before you put it in the kulfi moulds.
- Spoon the mixture into the moulds.
- Put the moulds in the freezer.
- The kulfi will freeze within 3 to 4 hours.
- To serve, dip the mould in warm water. Run a knife along the edges and the kulfi will come out.
- Slice it up and serve.
- Serve with chopped nuts.
- Add chocolate chips and chopped walnuts instead of almonds, pistachios,saffron, cardamom and nutmeg.
- Add 1 cup of thick fruit puree to the cold mixture.
- Add about ½ cup of chocolate chips to the mixture after whisking it. The chocolate will melt. When the mixture is cool add either raisins or dried cranberries.