34. Moong khichdi
Neel, this is for you
Khichdi is simply a mixture of rice and lentils cooked together. It is a very popular dish in India, especially the northern part. There are a variety of khichdis that can be made, either just plain or by adding vegetables to it. Its a great comfort food on a cold day, good remedy for bad stomachs and basically very easy to make. Neel probably misses khichdi in Canada as that’s what he asked me to make for him when he arrived in India to be with the family in March. Well Neel, khichdi is not difficult to make once you have the ingredients at home.You don’t have to have all the ingredients. You just need the rice, lentil and salt. The rest of the ingredients are for flavour.So go on try it out. Khichdi is usually served with kadhi, sabji, pickles, yogurt, chaas or eaten on its own.
Serves 4 to 6
1cup basmati rice
1cup moong dal with the skin
1 medium onion, sliced
6 cloves garlic, sliced
1 inch ginger, cut into thin strips or use the paste
1 green chilli, finely chopped or made into a paste
11/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 inch cinnamon stick, cut into pieces
2 tbsp ghee, oil or butter
3 cups water
2 dry red chillis, optional
- Mix the rice and lentil. Wash it thoroughly in a big sieve.
- Put the rice and lentil into a bowl. Add the water to it and let it soak for about half an hour.
- Heat the ghee in a deep saucepan.
- When its hot, add to it the cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and red chillis.
- Add the onions and stir fry till they are light pink.
- Add the ginger, garlic and chilli. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder and the rice mixture along with the water.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Partially cover the pan and cook the rice over medium flame till done.
- If you use the rice cooker, follow steps 3, 4, 5, 6 using a small pan. Add the rice mixture, salt and turmeric powder to the rice cooker. Add the sauteed mixture to it. Mix well and switch on the cooker.
- Instead of moong dal with the skin, use the yellow moong dal or tuvar dal.
- To make it into a wholesome meal, add big chunks of potatoes, carrots and some peas before cooking the khichdi.
- For a slightly more gooey khichdi add 1/2 a cup of extra water.